• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
So what's the general consensus (don't have time to go over 60 pages of console warrior bs)... Should it be played on PS4 Pro at 1080p or at higher resolution for the best image quality?
Anyone with PS4 Pro who owns the game, please answer. ... and thanks in advance.

Also, was there any official word yet from Rockstar in light on the issue?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't you be able to do open world in 4k? Theoretically you could do open world in 8k, so long as the graphics and bells and whistles were similarly dialed back. I think this gen especially, there's less of a visual fidelity difference or drawback with open world games compared to linear ones thanks to the large amounts of ram available on the consoles, hence some of the best looking games this gen (even compared to linear games) are open world, eg Horizon Zero Dawn, Forza Horizon 4, Spider-Man, Red Dead Redemption 2 etc.

Not only that but they clearly used base XB1 Code to bring it up to 4K. Personally, I don't find it groundbreaking graphically, but it is very good.

Keep on going. I felt the same way early on.

Thank you.

This is exactly my point for another topic.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
So what's the general consensus (don't have time to go over 60 pages of console warrior bs)... Should it be played on PS4 Pro at 1080p or at higher resolution for the best image quality?
Anyone with PS4 Pro who owns the game, please answer. ... and thanks in advance.

Also, was there any official word yet from Rockstar in light on the issue?

Well it's pretty much logic you get better IQ at a higher res, so you answered your own question there. IQ is just fine at 1080p.

The big downside of the base consoles is the framerate which dips towards 20 fps. That and the fact that X1S runs at sub 900p.

Pro and X are fine in terms of fps with X obviously providing a sharper image and a slightly more stable framerate most of the time. Stuff like draw distance and foliage are pretty similar.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fighter?
Rts?
Open world racer?

Can't think properly but I'm sure Microsofts dev teams cover almost all genres

I mean if you are going to look at sub genres like open world racers we should be mindful that among Sony's third person games, many cover brawlers, action/adventure, open world, horror and the like.

Platformers is also where ps4 offers some solid choices. Don't forget a sport games, RPGs, etc.

Rts and fighter is somewhat covered by Microsoft but available also on PC like ps4 shares with king of fighters or tooth and nail for example.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Exclusives don't bother me TBH. We live in a golden age of many games and there is not enough time to play them all. I have been playing Dead Cells on Switch for the last 2 months and Divinity 2 on X1X like a maniac... :) Both amazing games and both third party.

This is the only way to play games in a sane, healthy manner. Find one you like, and play it till you are ready to move on and forget about all the other hype games being released. Too many try to play everything because of fomo.

Suavesteve

Oct 28, 2017
At first I thought it was ok on the Pro. Now I know this is one of the worst implementations of 4k on it. Sometimes when a character is talking during a cutscene, I look at the background and I'm not sure if they are apply DOF to it or not. Everything is just blurry or I keep thinking there's something wrong with my eyes lol.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
uJbq6MT.gif

MP1r4Ta.gif

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to try out the controls on my Pro before deciding wherever or not to buy the X version too. If the controls are not good for me, I won't get the X version.

Btw, is it still possible to refund the PSN version and receive the 60$ into the PSN wallet?

HaloForzaGuy

Nov 11, 2017
I mean if you are going to look at sub genres like open world racers we should be mindful that among Sony's third person games, many cover brawlers, action/adventure, open world, horror and the like.

Platformers is also where ps4 offers some solid choices. Don't forget a sport games, RPGs, etc.

Rts and fighter is somewhat covered by Microsoft but available also on PC like ps4 shares with king of fighters or tooth and nail for example.

Start a new thread and I'll gladly join in

PC and Xbox is one now, so that argument is mute, someone like me will never play on mouse and keyboard

3rd party devs will bend over wherever the money is... Slim chance the next sf will be exclusive etc

Games like sea of thieves or crackdown with full destruction is the type of diversity I'd like Sonys in house devs to be striving for.... They've made around 10 cinematic 3rd person games this gen alone I bet

OP
OP
BladeX

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
What is so bad about HDR that people are tunring it off? It dims the picture so much? Cant you fix this with the HDR settings within the game?

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
HDR off? Have you tried the HDR in RDR2 yet - is it that bad? Any early finds?

I'm leaning towards playing it in SDR on my OLED right now, after reading the comments on here.

hdr in rdr 2 is nothing special tbh. not sure what the sdr peaks are though. it might have better colors though, not sure.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Found 2 almost similar pics in the Photography thread.. from 2 different users here on Era.
Made a gif to show the difference.

Both are 1080p. The one where the player is closer is from the Xbox One X, the other one is from the Ps4 Pro.
2rgn7im.gif

the textures look identical.. the Pro just does not look as clear as the X..

Calmine

Jul 5, 2018
So is it right in saying, playing on PS4 Pro on a 1080p screen actually offers better imagine quality compared to 4K? Also quick one, does HDR work properly if you only have an 8bit panel? Should I just turn it off?

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Found 2 almost similar pics in the Photography thread.. from 2 different users here on Era.

Both are 1080p. The one where the player is closer is from the Xbox One X, the other one is from the Ps4 Pro.
2rgn7im.gif

can anyone throw the base ps4 in there?

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
So I hooked up my Pro to my monitor so I can play the game in my office, and holy shit it is a blurry and dizzying mess.

Playing this game up close is very bad for my eyes. Started to feel sick. But playing on my TV from my sofa is comfy and amazingly beautiful.

It is because of the double scale thingy that R* is doing?

Captain_Raoul

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Start a new thread and I'll gladly join in

PC and Xbox is one now, so that argument is mute, someone like me will never play on mouse and keyboard

3rd party devs will bend over wherever the money is... Slim chance the next sf will be exclusive etc

Games like sea of thieves or crackdown with full destruction is the type of diversity I'd like Sonys in house devs to be striving for.... They've made around 10 cinematic 3rd person games this gen alone I bet

Before you come and say that Sony should look at that too. Let Microsoft first make sure they can release Crackdown at all with the promises of then. I don't believe you will get the game they promised years ago.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017

2rgn7im.gif

PS4 Pro looks too blurry for my personal taste. I'm PC gamer so I'm used to high resolutions, though. There is no doubt that if someone is looking to buy a console mostly for 3rd party games or RDR 2 then XBX is the only right choice.

OP
OP
BladeX

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
So I hooked up my Pro to my monitor so I can play the game in my office, and holy shit it is a blurry and dizzying mess.

Playing this game up close is very bad for my eyes. Started to feel sick. But playing on my TV from my sofa is comfy and amazingly beautiful.

It is because of the double scale thingy that R* is doing?

What kind of TV do you have? 4K? Also what kind of monitor?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What is so bad about HDR that people are tunring it off? It dims the picture so much? Cant you fix this with the HDR settings within the game?

Not sure why people would be turning it off, it looks fine on my Sony Bravia, it's certainly not bad or broken.

Even DF said it's fine, although the HDR game setting is a basic 1 slider, so it can't be tweaked as much as some other games with a 2 slider setting.

OP
OP
BladeX

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
4k TV and 4k monitor. I usually move my Pro around like this, and play in my office. Never had this issue with other games. It's like I need to wear glasses or something.

Well then the only thing that becomes a factor is the viewing distance I think. From what I gather the viewing distance you have from your TV is such that the blurriness is not as pronounced as with the monitor where you are right in front of it. Thats my take atleast.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
HDR off? Have you tried the HDR in RDR2 yet - is it that bad? Any early finds?

I'm leaning towards playing it in SDR on my OLED right now, after reading the comments on here.

There will be a proper write up coming later I hope, so I'm holding it all in. You have nothing to lose by turning it off

principal

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Well then the only thing that becomes a factor is the viewing distance I think. From what I gather the viewing distance you have from your TV is such that the blurriness is not as pronounced as with the monitor where you are right in front of it. Thats my take atleast.

That's what my guess is as well. When I'm up close I can see a type of shimmering on objects. Kinda blurry but also like bad VR implementation. Just makes me dizzy and feel sick. It must be due to R* scaling mode.

principal

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
If you set the Pros output to 1080p does that remove the poor R* scaling mode?

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not surprised a more powerful console performs better than the less powerful console.

Game looks great on both look forward to playing once I'm home from work.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
You inow the image quality on the pro really is rather poor, been pllaying it for about an hour now and I'm pretty dissapointed with it and the hdr. I hope they patch it to just be 1440p instead what theyre doing now.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wow... this is so weird... arent the colors affected? This is genuinely surprising...

I could be wrong and EvilBoris knows SO much more about HDR but I when I was adjusting the HDR slider at the start all that seemed to actually change was the overall brightness, like the only adjustment was white level and not black level.

Went from dark-ish to grey-ish, doesn't feel like there was a good in between so I will be patiently waiting EB's write up, for me at the moment I may just rock with HDR off but it's a pain in the ass you can't switch it off at game level.

Oct 26, 2017
Playing on X and even there it has moments where it just looks soft. In the beginning when you enter that house for the first time and you see the lights and candles, it just looked rather soft.

And I think I'm gonna disable HDR for this game. I just tried SDR and the graphics "pop" a lot more compared to HDR.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Come on now

I don't believe R will leave the game in this condition. It's definitely a bad reconstruction method there. No need of brute force when the hardware is built around the CBR solution. I can see the blurriness from my smartphone at 540p of resolution. That's absurd.
Gta IV on 360 had a similar problem. It was actually a higher res than ps3, but it had an post process filter that destroyed distant detail and overall image quality.

It was in a time where patching was more complicated on consoles, specially 360, but they never fixed it.

This seems similar, there are pictures before the AA is applied and the reconstruction does not look that bad, but the combination of CB with their AA is causing a destructive effect, and it's not like the AA solution is bad, because it is very effective on other platforms, it just didn't worked in tandem with CB.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Holy shit, I was riding my horse and by the side of the track a random guy was changing his horse's shoe, next thing I know the horse kicked him in the head and bolted.

Oops wrong thread.