• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
I wonder if Pro would have been better served with a straight up 1440p if the reconstruction technique is poor.

This is what I wonder about too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but their current resolution pushes 4,147,200 pixels and checkerboards that to 4K, whileas 1440p would be 3,686,400 pixels. Since the checkerboarding technique isn't doing its' best job here and considering that (at least I think) people were fine with Uncharted 4's approach of straight up 1440p, I do wonder if changing it to 1440p and no CB would end up with a better picture despite the loss in pixel count.

I mean that's kinda the interesting case with reconstruction techniques since there's so many options in making less seem more in terms of resolution, or in this case, potentially making more seem like less. Unless Rockstar patches the PS4 Pro support to be just straight up 1440p, I guess it's until a PC version where we can gauge how it'd compare to what we got now.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rockstar should just patch out this checkerboarding on the PS4 Pro and stick with a native 1440p or whatever is the maximum they can manage. Not at all happy with the results.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just glad R* took advantage of the X's Power despite the Sony marketing deal, as an owner of the X I feel it's been kinda under utilized. I'm too busy to delve into the game much this weekend but I look forward to the impressions in here on the game in general.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
How the fuck does this look better than Horizon:Zero Dawn? I never thought I'd see a better looking open world game this gen...

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Had a physical PS4 version that I preordered on Amazon ages ago but I just bought the Xbox One version digitally... I have an X and a Pro but I caved, native 4k sounds awesome.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I never read so much wrong post in my life. I never expected for pro to be superior or equal to Xbox X. A crap checkerboard rendering is not a 'what you see is what you get.'. Damn. People are so blind sometimes. Nobody is asking for a increase in resolution, just a proper cb implementation. Ps4pro have a dedicated cb render hardware, so is ok most of the time he use. No 'secret saurce'.
We already saw open worlds using this tech in many good ways. Its blurry as shit. Fact. I saw on my 4K tv and is that blurry.
I don't know if is really the cb render plus the aa solution is making that, but is there.

The dedicated hardware to which you refer isn't even used by most games with a "good" implementation.
In fact, I'm sure that there are 1st party titles that don't even use it, instead opting for other solutions.

As the video mentions, there are all kinds of dithering and sparse rendering techniques used throughout the rendering, likely in order to pull off what you are seeing overall.
The video also mentions that whatever temporal solution being used, it's really hard to pin down to what it is, it may not even be CBR that we are seeing, so who is to even say that is the problem.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
uhh wow they really messed up the Pro version. Everyone knows X is more powerful but it's not that much stronger.

I'd say the X is a good bit stronger than the Pro and we will continue to see the gap widen on games that choose to take advantage of the system's power.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
As someone who has a 1070 PC 1440p is a great resolution in terms of performance and IQ balance. I wonder why so many games on consoles seem to dismiss it as an option. Is it because it doesn't sound as good on paper?

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Higher Resolution and Better Framerate. Awesome stuff by R* and MS.

Not about to buy me a new console for a multiplatform game. I just have bad luck with RDR and consoles. I played the first one on the PS3 which was also the inferior version.

So much sweet tech is used. They will defo release a PC version of this game. Thats when I will double dip and play the absolute best version.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Come on, isn't it possible to have a normal discussion on a forum?

I'm not looking for arguments, but looking at facts and recent examples.
If the other devs get it right, why shouldn't R*? They are the probably the biggest studio in the world.

They messed up something with their reconstruction technique.
of course CBR < native resolution, but still, it could be better implemented. Maybe it will get 'fixed' in a future patch.

However gamers around the world will still enjoy playing the game. Is it on a Pro or a standard PS4 / One S.

I'm not arguing with you. The point is its not good form to say other devs did it so r* should too. Different studios have different goals and different trade offs are used to get to that point.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone interested in upgrading to an Xbox One X, there's a fantastic deal at Walmart right now:

Xbox One X + Red Dead Redemption 2 + NBA 2K19 + PowerA Wired Controller + $5 Xbox Gift Card = $439.91

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Cant believe for a moment that the pro version is effectively the same as the PS4 version (visibly)... suspect there will be a patch for it at some point. Will be playing on Pro and on 1080 screen sat about 4ft away, pretty sure it won't matter. Hopefully by the time I get a 4K tv they'd have patched it.

Also are people really surprised that the XOX version will be better in some way, it was released a year after the pro and was more expensive - i.e higher spec tech in it.

Normally you would think it could be some kind of bug causing the blurriness on Pro and can be improved. But this game has been in development for absolutely ages, I wouldn't bet on it.

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
I'm salty I don't have the willpower to wait for PC, lol. So PS4 Pro it is, no way I would buy an Xbox just for this. RS did a pretty great job for the consoles, looks great.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
Guys.

I did it.

I got an X.
tumblr_lv15t9n0Ln1qd7uwho1_r1_400.gif

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I never read so much wrong post in my life. I never expected for pro to be superior or equal to Xbox X. A crap checkerboard rendering is not a 'what you see is what you get.'. Damn. People are so blind sometimes. Nobody is asking for a increase in resolution, just a proper cb implementation. Ps4pro have a dedicated cb render hardware, so is ok most of the time he use. No 'secret saurce'.
We already saw open worlds using this tech in many good ways. Its blurry as shit. Fact. I saw on my 4K tv and is that blurry.
I don't know if is really the cb render plus the aa solution is making that, but is there.
Based on The images john posted:

http:///0zXc.jpg 1 frame after the cutscene
http:///1zXc.jpg 2 frames after, which has TAA applied

while CB does it share to degrate image quality (but it's not that uncommon on thin geometry) it's the AA that is f*cking everything up, even the non transparent edges are getting destroyed by the AA on top of CBR.

Rainemane

Oct 27, 2017
Man I regret not getting an X or Pro and now I feel like I'm stuck in this in between where next gen feels like it's right around the corner. I really need the PS5 or next Xbox to release sooner than later lol

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just have to say.

The xbox one S is not a base xbox one.

I wish DF would stop this. Im very glad i upgraded from an actual base xbox one last month but it leaves a lot of owners with incorrect stats

xem

Oct 31, 2017
incredible. amazing job R*. Thx so much DF for doing these, you guys are great!

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just have to say.

I wish DF would stop this. Im very glad i upgraded from an actual base xbox one last month but it leaves a lot of owners with incorrect stats

ohh yeah .. wasn't the S a "small" bit better than the OG Xbox One--? so it would maybe look even worse on the OG Xbox..?

Nov 14, 2017
Does the version DF played include the Day 1 patch? I wonder if there will be improvements to the performance in that.

Playing it on PS4 Pro and just counting down the hours at this point.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who has a 1070 PC 1440p is a great resolution in terms of performance and IQ balance. I wonder why so many games on consoles seem to dismiss it as an option. Is it because it doesn't sound as good on paper?

1440p doesn't scale that well to a 4k screen, which causes a softer look. Technically what rockstar is doing should net better IQ than straight up 1440p. But the reconstruction tech they implemented isnt doing its job well enough it seems.

batrush

Nov 4, 2017
PS4 Pro now, will double dip on the PC version when it releases. Tempted to buy an X but there's absolutely nothing else on the system that interests me.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has there even been an example of an studio fixing their CB implementation? The only one I can think of is AC Syndicate and that was only fixed because they got the axis wrong. DQ XI had a questionable CBR implementation when it was launched in Japan and it arrived at the west, a year later, with the same issue.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just have to say.

the base Xbox one and Xbox one s should be using the same settings though. They're almost identical in specs and if I remember correctly the slight hardware boost the S gets is mostly for HDR (or at least that's how it was marketed at the time)

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn!!! I'm a Ps4 diehard (I do have an Xbox one also) but kudos to the Native 4K. Native on a beautiful open world such as that is indeed "beastly" I'll be playing on my pro, enjoy all.

Was going to wait to purchase but this game seems like you have to have it day one plus I'd like to continue to support Rockstar fully who always put tons of love into their projects.