• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the tech analysis video the game looks lovely. Guess i'm setting myself for a disappointment when l view the Pro comparison :(

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
So the usual resolution differences that are completely irrelevant when playing.

Meanwhile 95% of gamers will be playing on base machines and they're completely ignored.

Moai

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chile
that comparison pics are very eye opening. by reading the article i didnt think the difference was so massive.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's confusing to me as well.

Basically, the initial download (to 100% complete) was 88gb on both X and S. That's what it was at when starting the game. Next time I checked, though, the install was at 106.1gb.

When I first tried to launch on my X it gave me an error saying I needed more space on my internal drive before it would even start. So I have a hunch that it's related to data caching of some sort rather than a 4K texture pack.
Was 1080p on the Pro mentioned on the video anywhere?
Is it worthwhile?

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
compare168e1t.png

compare26ufpk.png

Yo wtf- that is a BIG difference man

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia

Basically, the initial download (to 100% complete) was 88gb on both X and S. That's what it was at when starting the game. Next time I checked, though, the install was at 106.1gb.

When I first tried to launch on my X it gave me an error saying I needed more space on my internal drive before it would even start. So I have a hunch that it's related to data caching of some sort rather than a 4K texture pack.

So, it's some kind of compression?

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Comparing solely PS4 vs. PS4 Pro, I barely see any difference?
I just wondered if the big improvement of the X was so jarring that it was skewing opinion.

I guess I am just wondering about the reason why the X looks so much better, is it simply down to horsepower, or is it a technical issue with the pro, or something to do with the way each version was developed.

It probably doesn't matter though in the grand scheme of things.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Okay sounds good. I was confused because my preload is currently at 88gb and I saw you and others saying the game was at 106, so I thought I was missing something.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They seems more or less to me..another story it's the IQ. Personally I'm quite disappointed there.
You're only disappointed because of the huge difference with Xbox One X. The checkerboard stuff on the Pro has never been great and has never been close to native 4K.

Although to be honest the quality of the screenshots in the DF site is also pretty bad, makes the image quality look even worse I guess.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Guess I won't be playing this till next year when I finally get an XBX or they patch better IQ for the Pro version, because there's gotta be something wrong with it for it to look so damn blurry. Native 4k on XBX is just insane!

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
PS4 Pro 1920 x 2160 not injected or upscaled reconstructed or chekcerboarded to higher reoslution like 2160p CB or anything? I thought they would improve the resolution before the release. this is the same weird resolution they used for L.A Noire. Dunno how this resolution is displayed on a 4K TV.

Last edited:

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
What does the bandwith do exactly?
It means the speed the gpu can read from and write to the memory. On Pro they have only slightly improved the BW by 20% or so, but the console is required to render at 2-4 times the resolution. There are improvements to compression, so it's not 1:1, but it's clear that the lack of bandwidth is a huge bottleneck on Pro.

Though 4k CB (or using another reconstruction tech) is pretty much the goal Pro was designed for, so in theory it's doing what it should. But I guess in this game the reconstruction tech didn't worked that well, because the resolution gains are very muted and the artifacts are all over the place.

kbear

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There's still literally 2 full years before the next gen consoles launch. It's probably worth copping an X in the mean time. It's only been out one year. Feels longer than that but yeah, November 2017.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
I am playing on base Xbox and yeah, it's reaaaally blurry. Considering getting an One X for that one.

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I've seen this wide a gap between the Pro and the X before. That reconstruction looks really bad. I just picked up the X last month more or less for Forza only, but now I'm feeling much better about the purchase. That looks crazy crisp on the X.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
The poor checkerboard implementation on PS4 Pro means I'm going with Xbox One X version first.

Native 4K and a better framerate? No contest.

I really hope they fix the image quality on PS4 Pro, because I'll still get the PS4 version at some point.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
I wasn't really thinking of buying this but the Xbox One X performance is astounding. Can't wait to see for myself.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, how is the game on a PS4 Pro at 1080p? Are there enhanced graphical features? Does it downsample or run at 1080p? How is the framerate and the textures?

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I am talking about framerate not IQ though.

is there a framerate thing in the videos? because the text version only mentioned that the X is the best, and that the Xbox One S and Standard PS4 both go down to low 20´s in the towns.. and they mention that the Pro version is worse than X, but not by how much? how bad does the framerate get on the Pro?

SillyGoose

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"* Visual parity in terms of rendering for all versions. (same assets/foliage etc)"

I don't want to watch the video because of spoilers, but essentially other than resolution and frame-rate, everything else is the same across all versions? Deciding if I should pick up the Pro bundle today or just buy it for my OG PS4. I do not have a 4k TV.