• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
And this is why I had no hope for Red Dead Online after GTA Online. It's the same thing with Cowboys. They just want your money. Gonna miss SP DLC like GTA IV's, but I get why they do it.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Pretty much useless unless you want to buy stuff before you unlock it by level. AFAIK the only things locked behind the gold bars are some random clothing pieces for your character and changing the color of the metals on your gun. Everything else is ingame money when you unlock it/gold to get it early.

Gold comes in at a steady rate when playing PVP as well, so if you like that, it's not even much of a bother at all.
Okay, well that's good to know. Still not a fan of it being sold but if it can be acquired in-game with a moderate amount of playing, then that's fine for me.

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
Well that seals it for me. Just like GTAV, I'll just finish up singleplayer and not bother with online.

Yikes at those prices when compared to the current economy.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. Only 350 gold bars for $100? Some clothing items fucking cost 20 or more gold bars. Putting an entire outfit together could use up $50 of those gold bars.

When will people and reviewers start holding R* accountable for these practices? R* is a trash tier company and should be embarrassed.

Oct 31, 2017
At least with GTA:Online, the naming convention of their monetization model gave a clue into how they view people who pay up for this kind of tripe: chum ready to be gobbled up.

They should have done something like Nintendo did with the Korok seeds and made the "gold" look like pieces of shit or something. Worthless arbitrary garbage that idiots will happily pay for.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I will never not find it scummy that developers now put off MTs for a month or two after launch to try and trick gullible people and mislead reviewers that the game doesn't have any gameplay mts.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Holy shit. Only 350 gold bars for $100? Some clothing items fucking cost 20 or more gold bars. Putting an entire outfit together could use up $50 of those gold bars.

When will people and reviewers start holding R* accountable for these practices? R* is a trash tier company and should be embarrassed.
DpjclmSU8AAnZDi.jpg

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$99.99 transaction in a non F2P game. lol, the state of the games industry in 2018.

I know they're far from the only game to have a "micro"transaction pack at this amount but it's still funny as fuck.

R* is in the unique position of being one of a few AAA devs that literally design their in game economies around microtransactions. Most games use it as a way to take shortcuts. R* games you almost have to spend real money if you don't have time to grind for hours upon hours every week.

notte

Oct 25, 2017
You have to love the concept of paying for a game, then paying to play that game with other humans, then paying again to accelerate everyone's enjoyment. Nonsense.

That said, I never paid an additional cent to GTAO and I can't imagine doing so here either. As soon as I finish up the last few, grindy MP trophies, I'll be logging off until the next substantial content update.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoy the $104.98 Rockstar, them 375 gold bars gonna be nice 👌🏼

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
What is there to buy in the game? I mean I see the appeal in GTAV with the nice apartments, nice cars, jets, and so on. What is the equivalent in RDR? And these weapon upgrades people talk about grinding for (now paying for?), are those purely cosmetic?

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Fully expected. Prices not out of the ordinary. Should've split into a $60 single player game and a F2P online game.

Hope there are enough whales to fund some singleplayer DLC lol.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, at least we get a massive singleplayer open world game that can take a longggg time to complete and that is free of MTX.

Most AAA games do both and invade the singleplayer portion with this shit too (just look at anything EA and Ubisoft make).

Also, why did anyone think this wasn't going to be priced like GTA Online?

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was never going to play online anyway. Great game, but I'm done after I finish the epilogue.

ucanadam

Alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
"Well we cant bother to make good online and player base rapidly losing to other games quick sell those goldbars as quick as we can"

- this is what happened.
Red dead online losing players in huge rapid pace. They are trying to get money from before they left the game. Game is in total shit state and they seem to have no intention to fix it. So no need to wait leaving BETA stage to sell shit.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
There's no reason to add in-game currency purchase options now, RDO is barebone and really there's not too much to spend your virtual or real money on. Provide new content first, put your currency for sale later, but they couldn't wait...

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
This the reason we didn't get SP expansion for GTA5 and won't get one in RDR2.

Fucking pathetic.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
So it's basically same rates as usual F2P games have. Not surprising, but sad to see them in a full priced game.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd be pissed about this if the single player content didn't already earn my $60.

People need to look at the Online modes in R* products as the tacked on F2P games that they are, they should never be a major factor in your purchasing decision.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
That's a huge no. I can't even buy the clothes I want with the normal in game money because my rank isn't high enough. They haven't even implemented a Free Aim lobby. RDO is a huge disappointment.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Strauss Zelnick, Take Two CEO last year:

"We are convinced that we are probably from an industry view undermonetizing on a per-user basis. There is wood to chop because I think we can do more, and we can do more without interfering with our strategy of being the most creative and our ethical approach, which is delighting consumers."

"You can't give stuff away for free in perpetuity; there's no business model in that. But we're not trying to optimize the monetization of everything we do to the nth degree. My concern is, if you do that, the consumer knows. They might not even know that they know, but they feel it."

"We're not going to grab the last nickel."

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand what people find so compelling about these bland online modes that they're willing to spend 100s of dollars on it. Like the gunplay isn't particularly good...you cant really roleplay because everyone is just the to shoot or not get shot...maybe race horses? I don't know anymore man lmao.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not familiar with how much gold will get you in the game. Is this a good/bad deal?

Sounds like it's designed to seem like a good deal compared to the crazy amount of time you'd have to play the game to earn gold bars. Was it like 8 hours of playing to earn 1 goldbar Jim Sterling said in his video? So clearly 25 for 10 bucks would be a steal!

Jan 10, 2018
I will never get used to MT's. They always piss me off.

And what the hell is up with implementing MT's for a beta where the economy has changed drastically one time already? It's so silly.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, at least we get a massive singleplayer open world game that can take a longggg time to complete and that is free of MTX.

Most AAA games do both and invade the singleplayer portion with this shit too (just look at anything EA and Ubisoft make).

Also, why did anyone think this wasn't going to be priced like GTA Online?
What EA or Ubisoft game has microtransactions invading their single-player portion?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That's a huge no. I can't even buy the clothes I want with the normal in game money because my rank isn't high enough. They haven't even implemented a Free Aim lobby. RDO is a huge disappointment.
Wait what?

The online is terrible without free aim in gtav and mp3

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

You can plate your Gun Barrel, Cylinder, Frame, Hammer, Sight and Trigger in Gold which is 5 Gold Bars for each of those. 6x5 is 30 Gold Bars total, which checks out at 11.988 US$, if you take the base price of 9.99 US$ for 25 Gold Bars.

I posted an other example above with the Arabian Horse, which checks out at 16.7832 US$ (42 Gold Bars).

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
This seems in line with most of the rip-off gatcha games I've played.
GaaS is the worst thing that has happened to gaming BY FAR. Just proves people are stupid and the market takes as much advantage of it as possible, can't blame companies for having this easy money making scheme.

Oct 31, 2017
I'll probably never even bother with this online shit honestly (just like GTA: Online), as it's clearly just predatory systematic game design made to be nothing but a huge time sink for the player and profit generation engine for the publisher/Rockstar.

It's a shame, because I thought some of GTA IV's multiplayer modes were incredibly fun (Cops 'N Crooks, Chopper vs. Chopper, Point to point racing, etc.). But I have zero desire to interface with such abusive systems in order to drill down to find tiny nuggets of fun. When your game design is made to essentially be busy work in order to incentivize a player to pay money to avoid the actual "playing" of the game, that tells me your game isn't very fun and is carefully designed for "fun" to be dispensed in calculated intervals.

Artificial barriers to enjoyment are so insulting to me, but it's clear that these are the kinds of things that people spend both serious time and money for.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
As expected but those prices are insane!

They need to really get on with communicating what content is coming to the online as it's pretty shallow and empty so far.