• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It's a really chill and enjoyable online game but it really needs more actual playable content.

simmias

Oct 30, 2017
It's also worth noting that the RDO player base is like the polar opposite of the GTAO player base. Almost every time you encounter another player they're friendly. Granted, that will probably change now with the $5 online-only. It's always new players who are crazy aggressive, but since you get more OP the higher you level, they're usually put in their place pretty early on by the veterans.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
What's the upgrade price from this to the full game?

Also, not on Steam until later? Major eyeroll.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
The price cuts make sense when you aren't bundling the online portion with a 60 dollar game.

I don't know how the same company can have one of the best, longest running and successful multiplayer modes of all time and also release this. Baffling.

Just do the same but with cowboy shit

GTA Online, like RDR Online, is only now getting a separate installer.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Does this force you into meeting other players?
As in, can you be killed at any time when you are doing stuff?
Are you forced to PvP to progress?
At launch it was like trying to play a chill RDR fishing session in the middle of a Battlefield game, but these days it's chill.
There are some events that mark you as a target, and other players can stop you from doing it, but for the most part they'll leave you alone because they don't really gain anything from screwing you over.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I finished Red Dead 2 on PS4, I was tempted to pick it up to play on Series X but was hesitant because I know I'd never play through the whole campaign again anytime in the next few years. I might pick this up just to mess around in the world though.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
If I have this on disc but wanna spend the $5 to not have to put the disc in, do I have to redownload the whole 100+ GB? And since I feel the answer is yes, is there a way to only install the single player from the disc? Don't really want this to take up 200+ GB if some of it is redundant.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
If I have this on disc but wanna spend the $5 to not have to put the disc in, do I have to redownload the whole 100+ GB? And since I feel the answer is yes, is there a way to only install the single player from the disc? Don't really want this to take up 200+ GB if some of it is redundant.
Pretty sure it's the same client as the full game and just bags you to unlock the full thing.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It could be free and I'd still would rather play GTAO instead. I have no idea how they fucked up this multiplayer so bad after years of experience, I was really looking forward to shelving GTAO and play this instead, but damn if it isn't mediocre. Not good, not bad, just mediocre.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Is the file size smaller then the full game? Can't really tell on PS5 says it's free for me cuz I have red dead but I have a feeling it's just downloading the full game cuz when I check the full game it says it's downloading.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Does the check boarding still look horrible? I played through single player on X1X, but I just picked this up since I only have a PS5 now.

EDIT: 109GB download!

Last edited:

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Any reason to get this on one PC platform vs another? I guess Steam is the default, but I am mostly wondering where the eventual upgrade version will be cheapest as I would eventually like to get the full game.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
ohh interesting....cool, might as well just get it through the launcher then. Thanks!

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I'll probably buy this but I'm almost certainly not installing it on my PS5 at that size lol. How much is the story mode?

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For someone like me that's had the game since launch, does this mean I can install RDO separately from RDR2 on PlayStation?

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Why are people shocked by the install size? It's the exact same game world as the single player.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
As for meeting players in the open world, I spend 300+ hours in RDO. Almost everyone I meet is busy doing their dailies and hunting animals. They don't care about PvP.

Players with high hostility are marked in red on the map and can be seen from a long distance. Just stay away from them.

Low hostility players are blue and they only show up on the map when you're close to them. Those guys are chill 99% of the time. I've had good voice chat conversations with many players. That's at least on PC. Not sure about the console player base.

Why are people shocked by the install size? It's the exact same game world as the single player.

The single player has much much more assets, especially audio and dialog. The install size should be smaller but I guess they include the singleplayer files in to make the transition instant for people who decide to buy it.

Last edited:

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Cutscenes and audio should be the only major difference between the two. 50 gigs seems about right in terms of "cost" of the single player (not that RDO itself is short on audio and cutscenes).

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I own the full game on PC but I'm almost tempted to pick this up on my PS5 for if / when they do a next gen update... Is it worth it though?

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know what the cost of the upgrade to the Story Mode is? I do want to end up in that Ubisoft shit where you buy an edition of the game and then it ends up costing more to buy the full thing later than just the stuff you don't have.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
5$ is tempting but at some point I will actually buy the complete game and I dont want to spend time on the online part before the single player either... and there is no cross play so pass.

SRV

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone know what the upgrade cost is if buying just RDO?

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
This is great news for me as I have the game on PS4 and love it but can't play online because I don't have PS+. I just hope my PC can run it okay.

Deleted member 85982

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2020
I tried with RDO. There's a lot to love there, but the grind is simply too much. The idea of Rockstar further reducing gold rewards is laughable.

I get that people are mad about the daily loop being reset, but that just ended up pissing me off anyway. I truly enjoyed playing that game routinely, but I take one day off and I'm back to pitiful challenge rewards? Can't handle it.

Single player is still the best experience I've probably had with a video game, though.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Can someone highlight what it is you actually do in the Online portion? Just fight others in the world? Is there a story? Can you like build a house or anything and like have a base of operations of some sort?

I never really got into GTAV Online so not sure what the goal is in the world.

I personally need to go back to story RDR2 and complete some achievements but wouldn't mind starting Online afterwards if there's good reason.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
I've picked RDR2 back up on Series X and am mopping up some post game stuff.

As much as I'd love to try it, there's no way I'm touching the multiplayer unless there's a Next Gen update. The idea that they'll happily take people's money without doing anything to better the game experience (from what I've read they've added cosmetics for people to buy and that's about it?) is insane and deplorable.

May 19, 2020
i played this when it launched and it was jank as hell, the onboarding/tutorial was painful and i never touched it afterward. sounds like i'm not missing anything since then.

CelticKennedy

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 18, 2019
I've picked RDR2 back up on Series X and am mopping up some post game stuff.

As much as I'd love to try it, there's no way I'm touching the multiplayer unless there's a Next Gen update. The idea that they'll happily take people's money without doing anything to better the game experience (from what I've read they've added cosmetics for people to buy and that's about it?) is insane and deplorable.
They have been updating Online...for quiet awhile now.

Deleted member 85982

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2020
Can someone highlight what it is you actually do in the Online portion? Just fight others in the world? Is there a story? Can you like build a house or anything and like have a base of operations of some sort?

I never really got into GTAV Online so not sure what the goal is in the world.

I personally need to go back to story RDR2 and complete some achievements but wouldn't mind starting Online afterwards if there's good reason.

It's more of the same, and that can be good or bad depending on what you dug about single player. If you like experiencing that world, you can theoretically accomplish that in the open world map. There's lots of professions, and goals, and missions, with a bit removed from the immersion (you can't talk to NPC's, which it took losing to realize how much I missed it). I basically played it like RDR single player with a female, silent protagonist. Problem is, the grind has gone from excessive to theoretically abysmal with the changes to gold rewards after this change. Professions, which offer the best experience, cost gold, which either has to be bought or grinded. If you're willing to shell out well over five bucks for your enjoyment, you could have fun. But the grind was too much for me to handle, and I absolutely love Red Dead, and I wasn't willing to fork over cash for gold bars to keep the fun flowing. Hope this helps.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 Online was a huge disappointment for me. Loved the single player but couldn't get down with the online at all. I think Rockstar's online modes in general just do nothing for me.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Have they announced any new gen updates coming for this or are we stuck with backwards compatibility mode?

It will be BC mode for a while. Rockstar create content at a fucking glacial place for GTAO and RDO especially. They couldn't even promise a next gen version of their multi billion dollar cash cow u til next spring at the earliest, so I can't even imagine how far down the list a next gen RDO is.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't yet played GTV Online or RDR2 Online, but based on the comments, it seems to be a MTX-ridden experience? Not interested if that's true...

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Still have that shitty reconstruction on PS4/PS5?
yep, blurry and soft as shit

It will be BC mode for a while. Rockstar create content at a fucking glacial place for GTAO and RDO especially. They couldn't even promise a next gen version of their multi billion dollar cash cow u til next spring at the earliest, so I can't even imagine how far down the list a next gen RDO is.
Spring? lol they said the second half of 2021.