• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I think this game lives or dies with the fact that the core RDR2 gameplay loop is present: being able to ride, hunt, fish etc. with your friends. I just hope you can get to these activities sooner rather than later, cause the quests so far seem boring and the "bandit players" are too common.

Yeah, if you have to grind gold bars just to get these activities, I might be out. I mostly just wanted more reasons to hunt and fish anyways. It's not like I don't have enough other games to play (or even that I don't have RDR2 single player to still play and it has tons of litlte things that will keep me entertained in it).

I wonder how easy it is to do quests solo cause I still wonder if the MTU trick will work (also wondering if it will work on Fallout76 if the playerbase gets toxic though FO76 has be pleasantly surprised with people after playing GTA online.... people are not just all griefers in that game. But I have a very low opinion in general of Rockstar's fan base overall. And I would be shocked if RDR's playerbase isn't a lot like GTA's playerbase.. and so far from reports on here from people playing it, I'm not going to be shocked at all).

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Interesting. How does the slow motion in dead eye works online? is just the player that activates it that see things in slow motion?

No, in Max Payne it was like this: You saw a player and activated bullet time, so it was slow motion for you and the other player. Everyone else on the server had regular movement and speed. But the trick was: As soon as someone was in line of sight of a bullet time player, this player also switched to bullet time. So it could happen that you ran around a corner and you were immediately in bullet time because there were two other player fighting in bullet time.
Sounds a bit strange at first, but it worked really good.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, quit as soon as I obtained that second story quest due to the massacre going on near the quest spot. Will give it another shot once my friends can play, but it seems to be more of the "GTAO bad" than "GTAO good". A guy from my community says you need 100 nuggets to get 1 gold bar (seems to be the premium currency), and a quest gave him 0.02 nuggets. There are a lot of items that can only be bought with gold bars :/

I think this game lives or dies with the fact that the core RDR2 gameplay loop is present: being able to ride, hunt, fish etc. with your friends. I just hope you can get to these activities sooner rather than later, cause the quests so far seem boring and the "bandit players" are too common.

No private lobbies kills 100% of my excitement for this mode. I have zero interest in playing in public lobbies. It was cancer in gtao and sounds like that it's the same here.

Yeah I need a private lobby, I can't stand griefers. I'm too old, I get to play for an hour or two, my friends with kids doesn't even have that ammount of time. I don't want to spend that time getting lassoed, or griefed.

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Yeah, if you have to grind gold bars just to get these activities, I might be out. I mostly just wanted more reasons to hunt and fish anyways. It's not like I don't have enough other games to play (or even that I don't have RDR2 single player to still play and it has tons of litlte things that will keep me entertained in it).
I checked the catalogue, you can obtain the bow at level 10 for 3 digits price tag afaik. Not sure about the fishing rod, but I think it was $3x?
Gold bars can be used everywhere to skip the cash cost of an item (you hold L2 to show the cost in gold bar currency for an item), but I'd wager approximately 15-20% of the items are limited to the premium currency.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So dead eye is just increased accuracy and damage? Kind of lame, but I suppose it's fair given how overpowered dead eye was in the first game's multiplayer. You'd think they'd go the route of how bullet time was done in Max Payne 3's multiplayer, but perhaps the game is too open for that to function well.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A younger Bonnie MacFarlane with her original voice actor is a character in the online mode

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Can I just go into the snowy mountains and hunt and camp?
You have a very VERY limited selection of outfits/options during the intro, none of them are for cold weather conditions. I unlocked the preorder outfits and they're at most of average temperatures. You are forced to freeze your ass off or save up for a winter outfit.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
More I watch the more I don't even think I'm going to try it.

Oh well at least I can play more of the Battlefront update

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Are random encounters/world events disabled in Online? Having dozens upon dozens of scenarios to role play with was/is a big part of the magic.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they change it? They made millions off of GTAO and its been broke as fuck since 2013. People called me crazy for thinking this would be trash

Me and my friends spent money on gta online (easily 50 each) and we never went into public lobbies. So thinking that people wouldn't spend money on this because there is private lobbies is wrong. But they won't be getting shit from me now because I am not playing in public lobbies.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
You have a very VERY limited selection of outfits/options during the intro, none of them are for cold weather conditions. I unlocked the preorder outfits and they're at most of average temperatures. You are forced to freeze your ass off or save up for a winter outfit.
I shall save up for a warm coat then!

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Why would they change it? They made millions off of GTAO and its been broke as fuck since 2013. People called me crazy for thinking this would be trash

Sadly none of this is surprising except that R* didn't even try to hide it from the start this time. At least with GTAO they started out a lot more subtle but yes, you could totally see the design philosophy around pushing people to buy MTs to fix the game even at the start... just it wasn't as obvious. Sounds like they didn't even care to try to hide it at first this time... I was hoping for at least that. Instead they jumped right to the worst decisions of GTAO that were very obvious to encourage griefers (who in turn encourage shark card sales). The worst thing they did to GTAO imo was start forcing you to be in public lobbies to do most anything new (especially if it actually made you a decent amount of money). Seems like they decided fuck even giving you an option to do anything with just your friends/crew/by yourself.

I wouldn't have called you crazy, I was ranting from the start about GTAO (I did find it fun but it was also obvious it had a lot of bad design decisions and it was pretty obvious if you were willing to think those decisions were done on purpose).

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
So will playing online spoil the campaign at all? I already beat the game but my friend has yet to.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Because tons of people asked for it?

And GTAO had private lobbies

Were those tons of people buying shark cards? I would bet the people asking for it weren't the ones R* was making money off of. So, I'm pretty sure they were catering to the people that were easily influenced to buy shark cards who many would not even see the problem (try to talk to some one who likes MTs... they'll tell you they are great cause they help them skip the grind and are very dense that the grind is there to encourage them to pay). And on top of that even if people who paid for shark cards asked for it, I bet they still paid for shark cards. So R* can just play dense about the fact people want it and do the tactics that better encourage shark card sales.

In the end, that's really all of R*'s goals with online. Is to get the people who will buy those to buy as many as possible. if you aren't the type to buy them if you enjoy it is totally coincidental to them. And even if you buy them, as long as it isn't bad enough to get you to stop playing, that's all they care. They outright even said it at one point in some speech they made at some business thing talking about how to make money. That you need to not make it so bad that it becomes too obvious to the players (buyers of shark cards is what they really mean by players).

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Sadly none of this is surprising except that R* didn't even try to hide it from the start this time. At least with GTAO they started out a lot more subtle but yes, you could totally see the design philosophy around pushing people to buy MTs to fix the game even at the start... just it wasn't as obvious. Sounds like they didn't even care to try to hide it at first this time... I was hoping for at least that. Instead they jumped right to the worst decisions of GTAO that were very obvious to encourage griefers (who in turn encourage shark card sales). The worst thing they did to GTAO imo was start forcing you to be in public lobbies to do most anything new (especially if it actually made you a decent amount of money). Seems like they decided fuck even giving you an option to do anything with just your friends/crew/by yourself.

I wouldn't have called you crazy, I was ranting from the start about GTAO (I did find it fun but it was also obvious it had a lot of bad design decisions and it was pretty obvious if you were willing to think those decisions were done on purpose).
I just expect better from one of the best devs in the world. They are indeed the pinnacle of single player game devs but below average when it comes to anything multiplayer. They make enough dam money where they should be focusing on fun with friends rather then suckering us into spending money on MX.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I just expect better from one of the best devs in the world. They are indeed the pinnacle of single player game devs but below average when it comes to anything multiplayer. They make enough dam money where they should be focusing on fun with friends rather then suckering us into spending money on MX.

But they are a company and their entire purpose is to make money. if they are making money hand over fist with how they designed GTAO, do you really expect they are going to change that for RDR2? it worked... people have shown they are totally willing to put up with that shit, they'll keep doing it until it actually blows up in their face. And with most R* players, good luck with that. Evne now with how blatant GTAO is you'll get a lot of fans defending them with, "But you don't have to buy them. You can just make money in the game!" and acting like you just need to "get good". Hell just recently on this forum I got into an argument with a guy who insisted that there was no grind in GTAO and that I just must not know how to make money or must spend money on everything in the game (yeah, that's why I have 55 million in the game and every base you can get and all the vehicles i actually want. But I've also played GTAO from the start when it wasn't as grindy, still was but not so blatantly obvious and used lots of little loopholes to fix the grind other than pay for sharkcards over the years).

Honestly, the people that make MTs lucrative in general are dense about this and good luck convincing them to stop paying into it (trust me, I'm way too argumentative for my own good... I've tried so many times and at best I get a I know but I really wanted to get this item....). It's a lost battle (only reason I justified buying RDR2. Because I originally wanted to boycott it cause it should hurt R* to do shit like this. But SP did look really awesome and I knew the only effect me boycotting would do was make myself feel good about sticking to my principles).

Last edited:

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
46811586_10156824310434803_8904495089066180608_o.jpg

Wonder how hard it will be to get these 5 gold without real money transactions

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
Are there separate lobbies for freeaim and lock-on? Orrrr how do they handle it in this game, like GTAO where everyone's just in the same pool...?

RDR1 online had separate free roams based on aim style which was really nice.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
PSA: Not sure if this is known here but none of my friends knew about it. You can customize the details of each part of the face individually. For the nose, you can customize the length, width, tip length, tip width, shape, position, ..etc.

Press X/A to go into detailed customization.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
Are there separate lobbies for freeaim and lock-on? Orrrr how do they handle it in this game, like GTAO where everyone's just in the same pool...?

RDR1 online had separate free roams based on aim style which was really nice.
In GTAO lobbies are per aiming style. Haven't tried for the moment in RDRO.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Do you guys honestly believe that if there are no private lobbies right now that they wont be adding them shortly?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Yep, quit as soon as I obtained that second story quest due to the massacre going on near the quest spot. Will give it another shot once my friends can play, but it seems to be more of the "GTAO bad" than "GTAO good". A guy from my community says you need 100 nuggets to get 1 gold bar (seems to be the premium currency), and a quest gave him 0.02 nuggets. There are a lot of items that can only be bought with gold bars :/

That sounds even worse as just dollars in GTA V.
In comparison to that, grinding dollars almost feels balanced and fair.

That screams for a huge shitstorm and it deserves one if it's really that painful.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Ah ok, so just 250missions for a simple horse insurance. :D
Lol. Almost makes me feel not even starting to begin with. I can be ok if i can tame the wild white arabian from the same place u get it in the single player mode. Is it possible to tame wild horses? and they spawn in the same place as the offline?

This seems a grief + grind fest.

I dont play online games because shit like that, and the only game i had interest to play online seems to be doing a agood job in making sure i dont stay there too long as well.

Also funny that the "peasents" that did not bought the ultimate edition (or was it special edition) cant play at the same time as other players. Everething Rockstar do is all about the money.

They did realeased a great single player game, but still did not bothered to fix a bug that alot of ppl get (Missing NPCs in the camp).

This is why CDPR will always be miles ahead of rockstar in my book.

Last edited:

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
What does horse insurance do? If your horse gets shot, is that the entire purchase lost? Or do you have to go back to a stable?

I'm sure they want to translate the horse death mechanic from the single-player, and surely another player can't just kill your horse and null your purchase.

Oct 27, 2017
What does horse insurance do? If your horse gets shot, is that the entire purchase lost? Or do you have to go back to a stable?

I'm sure they want to translate the horse death mechanic from the single-player, and surely another player can't just kill your horse and null your purchase.

The insurance in GTA Online is so you can get your car back even if it get totaly destroyed, but it wasn't that expensive. I think it was that way.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The insurance in GTA Online is so you can get your car back even if it get totaly destroyed, but it wasn't that expensive. I think it was that way.

That's what I recall. But horse perma-death is a part of RDR2, so I can imagine they would make it a late-game goal. 'Take care of your horse a use horse revivers, then late-game you no longer have to worry about a horse dying'. I think the issue would be if other players can kill your horse and you have to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.