• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
[Polygon Article Here]

Yesterday, Rockstar put out a patch for Red Dead Online and it absolutely broke the game. Like, at this point with modern games, I expect some glitches and things to happen when new updates are pushed out. But this....is just unacceptable.

Polygon outlines some of the problems using tweets from various users. Personally, I had hard crashes to the Xbox desktop, and similar problems to others (horses vanishing, no NPCs outside/invisible drivers of horse drawn carriages, creatures running in place or frozen, unable to lock onto anything, etc)

Many are reporting a complete lack of characters and animals populating their servers, making Red Dead Online into somewhat of a ghost town (which has been a problem in the past.) Horses seem to be the only friendly faces that players can count on right now, but often, the steeds are completely glitchy as well. Fans perusing the new update are sharing clips of invisible horses, horses that phase in and out of reality, horses that are on fire, horses that run in place, and more. It's better than that time Red Dead fans kept encountering huge piles of dead horses, but not by much.

I just...I don't understand. How could Rockstar, a AAA developer release something like this? Today they pushed out a new update for GTA and Its fairly likely we won't get any updates on RDO for a few days while they focus on that. In fact, Rockstar has been completely silent on the issue that makes their game entirely unplayable.

I'll leave you with a couple of clips to enjoy our pain ;___;

EDIT: Rockstar finally acknowledges the problems almost 24 hours later.

Last edited:

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Oof, terrible. RDROnline seems like a pretty bad place from the get-go.

What am I supposed to see in that third tweet, by the way?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Not surprised ever since RDO came out it has been difficult for them to monetize. So they rarely put out updates for it. I don't think a single update worked properly when it came out.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
RDO has generally been pretty solid, with some notable exceptions. I've got hundreds of hours in it.

They recently fixed animal spawns and it seemed like everything was finally in a good place, and then they dropped this random patch yesterday and broke the world.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
As of the newest update, It's the first time I've given online a shot and haven't run into any bugs. I guess that'll change at some point. I dig it.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
I couldn't even log in the other day and lost my streak. 😭

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Probably the lowest point for RDO. So much potential is squandered by such an incompetent developer. Behind the most profitable entertainment product in all of human history and they can't even get this shit right. There is no excuse for it.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
RDO has been a complete shitshow since the Naturalist update. Tons of people couldn't play for more than 5 minutes without getting a network error.

I was actually pretty hooked on RDO at the time, but all of the bullshit errors and bugs the since that update pushed me to stop playing. I'm now working my way through Ghost of Tsushima instead.

And Rockstar's customer support may be some of the worst in the business. Support twitter account just tells everyone to make a ticket, even when the support ticketing site was ALSO down, or directs you to some generic network troubleshooting page that assumes the problem is on your end.

I don't understand how the same developer that makes such polished single-player modes, can simultaneously make such janky multiplayer modes.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Does this game still have that crazy autoaim in the multilayer? That completely ruins the experience

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The sad part is that the game had been in its best state in months following the big Summer update, but this re-broke the wildlife and everything else.

Like I said in the OT, it's not terrible timing since game releases are picking up again soon and I gave a tendency to get overly distracted by RDO.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Weird. I played a ton yesterday, post patch, and had zero problems. Did a bunch of RDO story missions, did a bunch of Trader stuff etc. Was all fine.

Damn!

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Can't speak for RDR2, but I was really shocked that when RDR1's online mode was getting hacked into an unplayable state in the last two or three years of its life, Rockstar didn't seem to do anything about it. I was quite surprised that one of the biggest game developers would let their game get ruined by hackers and seemingly turn a blind eye.

Totally put me off wanting to play RDR2's online tbh - or to invest any money into it.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol they should play GTA Online on PC. The other day a modder turned me into a giant orange with helicopter blades.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit what

I thought that was just a co-op buddy. They seriously have a bug where a random NPC appears behind you? that's super messed up, haha.

RDO's reddit was going nuts over him last night because so many saw him. Some of the posts said his animations and actions looked more like a player than NPC.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
The single-player has been crashing a lot as well. I had to reinstall it just to get it working again

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Does this game still have that crazy autoaim in the multilayer? That completely ruins the experience

Yes, but there are a few ways to mitigate it. If you just wanna do missions and stuff and not PvP, you can enable "defensive" mode that makes you take less damage from players, and also disables the ability to snap lock onto you.

There's also a couple of Dead Eye ability cards that make it harder to hit and headshot you.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
This calls for an emergency rollback to 1.20 or something, because again, things were great before this seemingly minor 1.21 update.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's a shame how little R* seem to care about RDO. It could be a fantastic game.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i dont understand why they didnt applied the same model online for RDR from GTA, it's basically the same game but western

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Rockstar is just rolling the pacifist update, if people stop shooting each other for a month we all unlock a new ending

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
It's insane how bad online is broken.

Especially since so much had been fixed with the naturalist update. The game was full of wildlife, all the roles were working, and the only bug that bothered me was summoning wagons.

This small update broke it all lol. Software programming is crazy

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
Yeah. I was on a holiday over the weekend and when I got back I saw that there was a patch put out that was different from their usually released updates. Booted up the game and there weren't any NPCs or animals in my Online session. I couldn't talk to or launch any missions from quest givers.

Looks like they tried to fix some of the problems from the Role Update, but in the process broke a ton of shit. After relaunching a Online session three separate times, I was finally placed in a lobby where most of the content seemed to be working in order.

What a mess. I'm not sure if it's a combination of all the systems they have going on in the world plus all the exploits that players try doing with duplicating animals, glitching to get solo lobbies and all that shit.

Overall, Rockstar desperately needs to invest in making dedicated servers. Alot of this crap seems to crop up from them running their Online games peer to peer.

It's insane how bad online is broken.

Especially since so much had been fixed with the naturalist update. The game was full of wildlife, all the roles were working, and the only bug that bothered me was summoning wagons.

This small update broke it all lol. Software programming is crazy

I was able to temporarily fix the summon vehicle glitch myself i think. Go to a stable. Choose your vehicle and leave the stable. Then drive into the stable and be sure to store it. Then leave on your horse.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Its disappointing, I was really enjoying my time since they added the Naturalist. I finally got into one of their online games, and now this shit is happening. Real unfortunate, I want more excuses to play RDR2

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This calls for an emergency rollback to 1.20 or something, because again, things were great before this seemingly minor 1.21 update.

Not really. It was unplayable before with the constant disconnects. Now, if you manage to not get disconnected and get into a session, the game is an unplayable, buggy mess.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
I'm honestly scared of these fixes.

Almost every fix they implement, especially on PC, seems to break it in some way.
I'm probably jinxing myself for saying this, but for me the PC version has actually been better since the update. I use to play PC Single Player only since there were so many random people modding online. I would pretty much stick to playing Online on Console. After the Role update I have been getting disconnected from Online on the Console version all the time, while the PC version has been totally fine. Really strange shit. Probably just lucky.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
There was a 3 gig patch yesterday as well. I wonder if that's what borked things?

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
There was a 3 gig patch yesterday as well. I wonder if that's what borked things?
Yup, that's what seems to have caused all this. It's even funnier because the Naturalist update from last week probably made RDO the most stable its ever been, then this random patch comes along without any notes and breaks everything.

OP
OP
spyroflame0487

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Actually they just added the Oppressor MK2 into RDO last night after the update.
e3s8cz9829g51.jpg

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Yes, but there are a few ways to mitigate it. If you just wanna do missions and stuff and not PvP, you can enable "defensive" mode that makes you take less damage from players, and also disables the ability to snap lock onto you.

There's also a couple of Dead Eye ability cards that make it harder to hit and headshot you.
The issue with it is that its a broken system. People autoaim, lift the aim a bit and BOOM. Headship from miles away. The game would be so so much fun without it. And just doing the PvE stuff would feel limited

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
If you look at the wiki, most of dlc could be made in a western setting and still work https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Updates_in_GTA_Online

It blows my mind that RDO still doesn't have train robberies and heists. Absolutely blows my mind. After they already learned with GTAO that people like that stuff!

But no, nothing says the wild west like... looking for antique combs and arrowheads, and sedating wild animals to draw some of their blood. Yeehaw cowboy!

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The issue with it is that its a broken system. People autoaim, lift the aim a bit and BOOM. Headship from miles away. The game would be so so much fun without it. And just doing the PvE stuff would feel limited

I don't really mind it. It's obviously a very weird combat system for a multiplayer mode, but it's fun to get good at flicking the stick up perfectly for a headshot.

Then again, I don't really engage in a lot of the PvP events, so maybe I'd hate it if I did, haha.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
RDO doesn't rake in the kind of cash that GTAO does so they don't care nearly as much about it. They couldn't possibly be more transparent about it.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
This is crazy lol. The naturalist patch was probably the most stable it had ever been, and then a week or so later this happens lol.