• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
What are the most fun things to do in Red Dead 2 in the open world (not counting hunting, the realistic animal corpses disturb me hugely)?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
You can define it however you want, eg by the number of legs a character has or the colour of their hair, doesn't actually make it so.

'Walking simulator' isn't an actual genre of game, it's a descriptor for a game that's light on meaningful (or engaging) gameplay interaction. It's not an objective statement, it's an opinion.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Guys, the reception is so mixed that I didn't buy this on launch and i have been procrastinating it.

Can someone give an honest opinion on how this compares to RDR 1? That game was my favorite ps3 game.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Thing is, RDR2 would have worked extremely well as a linear game. The game design almost feels like it was made for a linear there really is a big clash between the freedom of an open world and the extreme linearity of this game.
And I am serious about this, rockstar needs to go back to making a linear game, it will be fantastic with their approach.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Guys, the reception is so mixed that I didn't buy this on launch and i have been procrastinating it.

Can someone give an honest opinion on how this compares to RDR 1? That game was my favorite ps3 game.

The reception is mixed on ERA, buy the game, don't listen to ERA.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
What's wrong with the characters? Name 1 game with more memorable / better written characters?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
'Walking simulator' isn't an actual genre of game, it's a descriptor for a game that's light on meaningful (or engaging) gameplay interaction. It's not an objective statement, it's an opinion.

It's a descriptor that is most commonly used to describe games like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture or The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Eg games which are essentially the modern day equivalent of a point and click adventure title.

"In the past few years, a game genre has emerged that's found millions of fans. So-called "walking sims" like Dear Esther, Gone Home, Firewatch and Virginia have extended the definition of games, from physical and mental challenges, to narrative experiences that tease nuanced emotional responses from players."

What are the best Walking Simulator games on Steam?

The best PS4 Walking Simulator games

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
What's wrong with the characters? Name 1 game with more memorable / better written characters?

There's just so many characters that there missions with characters where it's like "... why do I care about this guy" and then there needs to be a dump of exposition detailing Arthur's feelings to that character.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
The mission design does kinda suck, but I really enjoyed everything outside of the missions. It was pretty much a really slow-paced outlaw simulator and that was exactly what I was looking for out of this game. The great story, characters, and music was icing on the cake and helped get through the missions. It's not a perfect game by any means, but it kinda hit all of the right marks with me.
What are the most fun things to do in Red Dead 2 in the open world (not counting hunting, the realistic animal corpses disturb me hugely)?
Be an outlaw! Rob people, steal stagecoaches, rob trains and stores, earn money for your crew.

i also really enjoyed the fishing minigame i thought it was really relaxing and arthur's comments can be really funny sometimes

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't have as much fun playing it as I did playing RDR1. I'd say RDR2 has a far better characters, a more interesting story, and a better realised open world. I think everything related to the core gameplay is more of a chore in RDR2.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

This game is to Red Dead Redemption 1 what GTA IV was to GTA SA.

The story is much more mature, the more "arcadey" elements of the first one are gone, and the world is obviously 20 times more alive. The story and characters are better in 2 too, imo.

If you RDR's wacky secondary missions, or all of the secrets and subplots there were, you'll love RDR2. Its environmental storytelling is something else.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't call it a walking sim, but I agree with OP for the most part. I look back on the game quite fondly, but I really don't wanna play through it again lol. The mission design was really repetitive and bland.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't think they did a thing wrong with the design. Never really felt like the fail points inside missions hampered how they played out.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chiming in to say I appreciate the OP using 'I think' and so on with their points. Really lowers the damage from the warm takes.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
This game is to Red Dead Redemption 1 what GTA IV was to GTA SA.

The story is much more mature, the more "arcadey" elements of the first one are gone, and the world is obviously 20 times more alive. The story and characters are better in 2 too, imo.

If you RDR's wacky secondary missions, or all of the secrets and subplots there were, you'll love RDR2. Its environmental storytelling is something else.

Oh gosh, that's what I was afraid. They cut the fun. I hated gta4 so much. Easily one of the worst things I ever played. Tried so much to like that piece of crap.

Please, don't be true! Nooooooooooo

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thing is, RDR2 would have worked extremely well as a linear game. The game design almost feels like it was made for a linear there really is a big clash between the freedom of an open world and the extreme linearity of this game.
And I am serious about this, rockstar needs to go back to making a linear game, it will be fantastic with their approach.
The open world of RDR 2 is one of the best parts of the whole experience. If it was linear game it would not have worked, the negative space between each main mission, the feeling when you leave the mountains and finally arrive at your first camp., the slow approach towards Saint Denis all of that and more would have been lost .
Arthur is by far the best written character and is probably best written protagonist this gen. But Theres quite few games with memorable characteers. Mass effect trilogy , last of us, uncharted , nier A. And Witcher 3 rivals the main cast and and coupled with expansions has far more consistent writing

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I would say Red Dead 2 is a near walking sim
giphy.gif

shtolky

Oct 27, 2017

The reception is not mixed. The game has been universally praised by critics, has sold a ton, and won many game of the year awards. If you loved RDR 1, you will love RDR2. Don't hesitate to play it.

ChewbieFR

Nov 3, 2018
User Warned - Thread Whining
Aren't there five to ten threads about RDR II's 'disappointing' gameplay already?

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you loved the first one, you'll love this one. I think RDR II improves on it in every aspect, but it has a bigger focus on realism which may be a turn off.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If you loved RDR 1, you will love RDR2. Don't hesitate to play it.

Absolutely 100% not true. I loved RDR1, beat it twice. RDR2 I struggled to play for more than a few hours, it feels AWFUL to play.

Maybe I'll give it another try whenever it comes out on PC and doesn't have a half second of input lag and awful controls.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Agreed. The mission structure hurts the narrative a lot, I don't feel that excited about a character development if it's told when riding to the same area for X time.

And yeah, the game is 15-20 hours too long, the "it will be the last time" for every chapter can get tiring.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Oh gosh, that's what I was afraid. They cut the fun. I hated gta4 so much. Easily one of the worst things I ever played. Tried so much to like that piece of crap.

Please, don't be true! Nooooooooooo
"Cut down the fun" isn't exactly how I'd put it, the game's still obviously fun, but it's definitely a much slower game. It does remind me of GTA IV a lot though.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The reception isn't actually that mixed, it's just those who dislike it are quite vocal about it, eg a vocal minority. It still came third in Era's GOTY results, and first or second in most other user voted awards. It also has incredibly high critical acclaim too. Don't get me wrong, it's not without its flaws, but its strengths (world building, scope, narrative, characters, technology, simulation aspects, sense of detail and richness of the world and systems etc), it does incredibly well.

Oct 30, 2017
At the moment i'm at chapter 2 (started 1.5 weeks ago) and i'm loving it. It is just such a bliss to walk around the world, collecting stuff, going off the track, beautiful sights, collecting cards, helping other people, enjoying, really enjoying the flora and fauna. Spend the last week (i say ±15 hours) just doing the above. Haven't been back at camp for weeks (in-game), grew a full beard and long hair after shaving everything. Loved Rhodes when i visited! Same goes for Strawberry.

Basically, just living in 1899!

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
The story didn't work for me even on the level that it worked for others. How can you think that Arthur is in any way decent human being after he killed half of the people who live in Strawberry?! You can't just "change" after that. The game basically just tells you what you need to think about Arthur vs any decent storytelling.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I really think there should've been some sort of mechanic where you can only progress the story, or move to the next camp location, when you meet a certain level of camp funds or upgrades.

When you have like $20,000 dollars just sitting around by chapter 4, the rest of the story feels pointless.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
The reception is not mixed. The game has been universally praised by critics, has sold a ton, and won many game of the year awards. If you loved RDR 1, you will love RDR2. Don't hesitate to play it.
Absolutely not! I loved RDR 1. To me the second game is worse in every single way aside from graphics.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
I really think there should've been some sort of mechanic where you can only progress the story, or move to the next camp location, when you meet a certain level of camp funds or upgrades.

When you have like $20,000 dollars just sitting around by chapter 4, the rest of the story feels pointless.

I would have REALLY liked more survival like elements for your gang members.

Like if the gang needed a lot of money and was constantly sick and hungry would add to the stakes of robbing places.

But everyone at my camp is perfectly healthy and fine so what are the stakes of robbing this bank?

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017

Most people seem to like. I thought the story was great but I'm not sure how much fun I had playing it honestly. If it wasn't for dead eye, i think i would've hated playing it. But that's just me. It won a ton of GOTY awards. A lot of people really love the game.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's actually pretty fair. There are a few missions that break up that sequence but for the most part that's pretty accurate. The thing that kept me going was really getting into the conversations and dialogue. That aspect just seems to get better over time at least.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Story was excellent and I loved the slow pace. Worked perfectly for the game.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely not! I loved RDR 1. To me the second game is worse in every single way aside from graphics.

It's the opposite for me. I got bored with and didn't really enjoy the first, but absolutely loved the second. To me the world, characters, story, systems etc just felt that much more diverse, immersive, engaging and interesting. For whatever reason I found the first game far more monotonous and dull.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
It's the opposite for me. I got bored with and didn't really enjoy the first, but absolutely loved the second. To me the world, characters, story, systems etc just felt that much more diverse, immersive, engaging and interesting. For whatever reason I found the first game far more monotonous and dull.

I just don't find the AI systems very interesting.

How can you interact with them?

How do they interact with you and force you to change?

They're very interesting to watch but the gameplay consequences seem nonexistent to me 15 hours in.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
The story didn't work for me even on the level that it worked for others. How can you think that Arthur is in any way decent human being after he killed half of the people who live in Strawberry?! You can't just "change" after that. The game basically just tells you what you need to think about Arthur vs any decent storytelling.

What story did you play? Cause I don't remember them trying to make Arthur a decent human being.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was late to the party and I agree with you after going through up to chapter 4. I like the characters and the story, but it feels way too long and I couldn't quite place why. It's felt like I put so many hours into the game and I'm not even halfway through the story. The "walking sim" has to be a big reason. It feels like some of these conversations while riding would have been cut and nothing would have been lost. It's disappointing because I loved the first game.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
It will depend on a person I guess. But at least RDR1 had story that keep me interested. In RDR2 nothing really happens until chapter 6. And by then I kind of hated the game.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just don't find the AI systems very interesting.

How can you interact with them?

How do they interact with you and force you to change?

They're very interesting to watch but the gameplay consequences seem nonexistent to me 15 hours in.

You need to be more specific. Which AI systems? There are so many dynamic AI systems at play that there's lots to unravel, from the AI systems of each animal in the wild, to horses, legendary beasts, towns folk, people doing different jobs or tasks, sheriffs, people on trains or riding horses, wagons, shop owners, random people, gangs, enemy combatants and so forth.

In each category there's ways to explore, experiment and engage with the AI in different ways, whether it's beating up or killing random folk and doing away with witnesses or evidence, or flanking enemies during combat, or experimenting with different weapons, explosives etc, or trying to master hunting or tracking, or taming wild horses and so on.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
What story did you play? Cause I don't remember them trying to make Arthur a decent human being.
Why would he give a shit about anyone (and especially John) when he is a type of person who can kill half the town for no good reason? His "justification" just didn't make sense to me. I guess fear of
death
could be it, but it wasn't really explored that much. Instead the game became about betrayal somehow. They tried to do to much and none of it landed for me.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018

If you liked RDR1 you'll enjoy this game. It is a tiny bit slower than RDR1, but they somehow incorporated everything from the first while adding a ton of new stuff.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
The story goes out of its way to show that Arthur is not a decent human being. Talking specifically about that moment early in the game that comes back to haunt Arthur later on. Can't really say much more without going into serious spoilers, but I think much of the story revolves around the fact that Arthur is a scumbag who is becoming more and more aware of how much of a scumbag he really is.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
You need to be more specific. Which AI systems? There are so many dynamic AI systems at play that there's lots to unravel, from the AI systems of each animal in the wild, to horses, legendary beasts, towns folk, sheriffs, people on trains or riding horses, wagons etc, shop owners, random people, gangs, enemy combatants and so forth. In each category there's ways to explore, experiment and engage with the AI in different ways, whether it's beating up or killing random folk and doing away with witnesses or evidence, or flanking enemies during combat, or experimenting with different weapons, explosives etc, or trying to master hunting or tracking, or taming wild horses and so on.

I'm talking about the AI routines of the human NPCs outside of combat which is where I think most of the AI praise comes from.

And that stuff is impressive.

I think the AI in combat is very bad though that's probably on purpose. The enemies just stand there waiting for be shot most of the time.