• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Girl I know who never watched any Star Wars got Disney Plus and wathced Mandalorian and fell in love with it. So, she decided to watch the movies and was confused about the order.
I explained the whole "First is episodes 4, 5 and 6, then it is 1, 2 and 3, but there are the cartoons" and so on.
While explaining to her, I found myself saying "Episodes 4 and 5 are very good and episode 6 is all right. Episodes 1, 2 and 3 are horrible to the point that you either just watch the Clone Wars cartoons or watch nothing and look it up wikipedia. Episode 7 is ok, I love episode 8, but a lot of people completely hate it and episode 9 might be worst than episodes 1, 2 and 3"

I want this person to like Star Wars because of that nerdy feeling that we want people to like the things we like, and unlike the Marvel movies, which I just recommend outright, and, you know, if you like you like, if you don't you don't, those are the movies. I feel likle recommending Star Wars is a minefield.

I obviously won't ever recommend someone to start with Episode I because that's just mean. You have to start with the OT. But the prequels exist and they kind of matter, so what do you do with them? My main recommendation to her was to skip the prequels or, if having the time, watching Clone Wars. I don't want to get into "destroyed my childhood" territory, it is not about that, the problem of the sequels is that they are confusing, boring movies that add almost nothing and if you are hyped for something and just finding out about this universe, a sunday afternoon with Episode II might just kill your hype forever.

And then there are the sequels. Which are fucked up if you think about it.
I like Episode 7 a lot, but I understand that I do just because it pulls nostalgia strings that this person simply doesn't have even if she is interested in the universe. Episode 7 doesn't really make the Star Wars universe richer, it just makes you feel like you are watching a decent Star Wars movie, which is ok.
But then there is Episode 8, which I fucking love it and it my favorite one after 5. But I really have no idea how that would translate to someone just getting into Star Wars. I never thought about it before, but Episode 8 kind of demands of you to have a certain opinion about what the force is, what the jedi are, how it all works in order to make Luke's sacrifice meaningful. I do believe one of the reasons I like episode 8 so much is because I like KOTOR 2 so much and Luke almost becomes a Kreia (only to realize that's not his path which was also great). So, you see, Episode 8 is a movie I would write essays about, but how would someone who would not write essays about Star Wars feel about that movie? No idea.

And then there's Episode 9.
Which is a clusterfuck. And what exactly do you do with Episode 9?
It even crossed my mind to watch it with her as a bad movie night in order to make fun of it. You know?
How do you tell a person just getting into it that the end of the "SKYWALKER SAGA" was written and directed by a twitter bot?
I can tell the person to skip the prequels because there are other media and also they are not consequential. And Episode 9 is definetly inconsequential, but unlike prequels, conclusions aren't supposed to be consequential, they are supposed to wrap up the story. And now I am feeling bad that this person is liking Star Wars because that's a story that will end with episode 9 and, again, unlike the prequels, I can't really say to her "you don't need to watch it". You kind of need to watch it because that's how the story ends. And also is a movie that to this day I have no idea how any of it - from the script to the final cut - was approved by anyone. It feels like a student movie where you just film stuff that looks right and then you try to find the movie in edit and after you watch it you realize that oh, that's why stuff is planned ahead.
I don't want her to watch Episode 9. But if she goes through Episodes 4 all the way to 8 and still like Star Wars... how she won't watch it?

So in the end the conclusion is something like: watch the OT, if by the end of Jedi you still want more star wars....... you know.......... a lot of it just won't be good. May the force be with you.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe just maybe you're overthinking movies about space wizards. Just have them start at ep 1 and be done. If they like the movies they like them. Stop trying to foist your opinions on which movies are good on to them.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
just let her watch all the movies first in release order and if she likes them then you can start recommending other stuff, you're going way too extra

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the OT would be a good start explaining who the hell the dude is who took Baby Yoda from us.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Let them watch them, they'll either like them or they won't. Nothing you can do to influence that.

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
You're thinking way too hard about this...
Let her watch 4, 5, 6 or 1, 2, 3 it really doesn't matter what order. Also people can like movies you don't like. That's fine.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Watch them in release order.

Don't discuss them on the internet.

Be careful who you discuss them with in real life.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe just maybe you're overthinking movies about space wizards. Just have them start at ep 1 and be done. If they like the movies they like them. Stop trying to foist your opinions on which movies are good on to them.
I agree with you except with the "start at 1" part.
That's just silly. It's like recommending someone who wants to dip their toes into the Tolkien fantasy universe to start with the Hobbit movies.

"Watch 4,5,6 and then do whatever."

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
As someone who has successfully introduced multiple people to Star Wars who were put off by the... intensity... of the fan base, my description of the films as "silly space adventures" won everyone over.

The main issue with the outside perception of Star Wars is that it's this deeply serious, lore-heavy nerdfest. It can be that but it is a primarily for-all-ages lighthearted bit of goofy space fun.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's that difficult to pull off.

If she liked The Mandalorian, then obviously the original trilogy is next. If she wants to see more about Ahsoka or the Rebellion, then Rogue One and Rebels is next. If she wants to learn more about Anakin after that, then put on The Clone Wars, and only if she's really invested in finding out the whole story do you put on the prequels.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
release order is the only way unless somebody is vaguely aware of star wars history, like knowing PT isn't an amazing outset

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stop over thinking it. The movies will do the talking for themselves. Show her the original trilogy and if she wants to watch more suggest the prequel trilogy. If she would like pain show her the sequels.

Clone Wars and Rebels are only for die hards to be honest.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just let her watch the movies and have her own opinions. Star Wars nerds crying about the sequel trilogy, or the prequels back when, are the pinnacle of cringe. Swear y'all can't just let somebody enjoy them.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Just watch a new hope and be done with it. You do not need to 'get into' Star Wars to watch Star wars, they are as mainstream as you get.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's really not that hard, make her watch release order and if she still wants to go deeper clone wars and rebels.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Just tell her to watch from Episode I through Episode IX. Or the original release order, yeah.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
My wife had never seen Star Wars. We watched them in order of release, and Episode 3 became her favorite. Just watch the damn movies and let whatever happens happen.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Lmao. Just have them watch whatever and and see if they actually like it, and then go from there. Don't already put them off by getting convoluted about it. This is not a job.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just the original films and if she is interested she can keep going in order of release. Stick to the movies. Never recommend extended universe/supplementary stuff to people, that's for hardcore people (I'm into Star Wars and don't watch those) and makes you seem pushy/Star Wars seem like work. If she likes it that much she'll find all the extra stuff. (for me it's comics, Aphra for the win)

Oct 25, 2017
If she liked mando then skip the movies entirely and have her watch the clone wars and rebels. They actually enrich the story told in mando by giving the extra characters bigger context.

The movies beyond the OT are secondary to a mandalorian fan.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, just watch Episode 1 - 9 in Order. It's not rocket science. Everything will come together naturally. Watch the spin offs and TV shows later.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Just tell her to watch all movies to her own pace and let her form her own opinion. You don't need to curate the content for her.
This. It seems like you want/expect her to have the same exact opinions you do. Let her watch them all and decide what she likes and doesn't like. You don't and shouldn't get to decide that.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You're gonna lose her interest talking about the extra shows and talking about public perception of the movies. Just give her the release order and let her form her own opinions and if she tells you if she liked them or what she liked about them, then recommend side content based on her preferences.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
No, it's not.

First, someone only needs to watch the films. I wouldn't tell them there are 7 season of a cartoon show they can watch until after they are done with the films. Second, why are you injecting your opinion in to the films? Let them watch them and have their own opinion, now you're just priming them to not want to watch certain films.

Watch the films in release order. Enjoy and let them have their opinion. Afterwards, if they want more introduce the TV shows.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
Recommend one movie to start with. Probably Episode IV.

Theyll know if they want to watch the rest. I mean, if they don't like one movie I doubt they even bother watching 9 of these.

OP
OP
Sblargh

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I mean, I know what y'all are saying, but in my mind, after Episode I why would anyone stick with it?
I know I am coming off as someone wanting her to have the same opinion as me or trying to curate the experience. It's not that at all. If she does end up watching the prequels and liking it, it's ok. But I think they are so bad and boring and they drag and the acting is so bad that even if she survives episode 1, then 2 is just... I mean, it's mean to waste somebody's precious little free time by recommending episode 2.
People are saying that the extended universe is just for hardcore fans and I get it, but that's how I feel about the prequels. Why would anyone who is not already a hardcore fan torture themselves with it?

May 19, 2020
what is it with people who want to curate media for others

just let the girl watch how she wants to watch, jesus. be normal.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
All of Star Wars is pandering to the OT so that's all you need to watch

After that, only Episode 2 is important due to all the Clone Wars media stuff. But you can watch either of the far better tv shows instead and still get the idea

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Release order, stop when you feel like it. 🤷‍♀️

May 19, 2020
i've never watched a star war cartoon ever and have never felt it was necessary for my understanding of a star war

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I mean, I know what y'all are saying, but in my mind, after Episode I why would anyone stick with it?
I know I am coming off as someone wanting her to have the same opinion as me or trying to curate the experience. It's not that at all. If she does end up watching the prequels and liking it, it's ok. But I think they are so bad and boring and they drag and the acting is so bad that even if she survives episode 1, then 2 is just... I mean, it's mean to waste somebody's precious little free time by recommending episode 2.
People are saying that the extended universe is just for hardcore fans and I get it, but that's how I feel about the prequels. Why would anyone who is not already a hardcore fan torture themselves with it?
If she's interested she'll keep watching regardless of what you or anyone thinks about the movies. So what if Ep 1 ends up being her favorite? There's no way to know that until she watches it. If she's not feeling it she can just skip it if she deems it unworthy of her time.

I mean it's Star Wars. It's pop culture, she can decide whether to consume it or not.

OP
OP
Sblargh

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
what is it with people who want to curate media for others

just let the girl watch how she wants to watch, jesus. be normal.

Yes, I am her master and I give the order of what she does or does not. If I don't LET HER watch the movies, then she won't.
Jeez.
She asked my opinion and my concern is that she watches any of the prequels and goes "wow, that was a fucking boring waste of time" to which my answer would be "yeah, I know, and instead I recommended you to do it knowing fully well that your miserable experience would be the outcome".

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Look, she likes Mandalorian. Just get her to watch 4, 5, 6 and tell her Mandalorian takes place 5 years after 6 and you're done.

If she wants more, show her 1, 2, 3 and say it takes place 20 years before 4, 5, 6.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
4t7161.jpg

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

I've watched plenty of first time watches on YT and a LARGE amount of them enjoyed the prequels, including Episode 1. I've seen first time watchers rank them above the OT. Again, you're injecting your own bias into this. She can form her own opinion.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's why release order, why you would recommend one when Star Wars was the first movie is beyond me. The original trilogy is enough to see if she wants more or not, full stop.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
The end of episode 8 by itself is a good ending. Just pretend episode 9 doesn't exist.
I know I do.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
"Here's the order the movies came out in. Watch it that way. If you like the movies and want more, we can talk about the shows"

Takes, like, 30 seconds