• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
What's the main advantage this guy provides over a 360 controller?
["this guy" being the Steam controller]
  1. Better camera/aiming controls using trackball emulation on the right touchpad. (Well, "better" for me and many others, it's hard to make a general statement about this) It's somewhere between a thumbstick and a mouse for me.
  2. Two additional grip buttons which are easy to reach while holding the controller normally.
  3. Extreme configurability using Steam (but much of that now also applies to other controllers -- still there are tons of things you can do with the touchpads)
For me personally, it's also more comfortable to hold than almost any other controller. Your hands are angled inward more -- it's the only controller where I can use all 4 shoulder buttons with individual fingers using my natural grip.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I really strongly disagree with this. Just using a standard controller layout with mouse-like joystick (trackball) controls feels better to me in almost any game where you have to move a camera than any dual analog controller. Without any significant game-specific configuration changes.

And on top of that you get two extra buttons to play with, which is absolutely crucial for me for games like Dark Souls these days.
Happy to see your name here! I tried to play Dark Souls with the Steam controller and I just hated it. I'm just too used to analog sticks in games like that. Also, DS1 had really terrible keyboard camera controls by default - for cases like this should you map the joystick controls or keyboard controls to the touchpad? What do you use the extra 2 buttons in Dark Souls for?

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
My preference is the Xbox One Elite controller. I hear good things about the Steam controller but I have no personal experience with it.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Steam Controller is GOAT if you are willing to put the effort and master it.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Happy to see your name here! I tried to play Dark Souls with the Steam controller and I just hated it. I'm just too used to analog sticks in games like that. Also, DS1 had really terrible keyboard camera controls by default - for cases like this should you map the joystick controls or keyboard controls to the touchpad? What do you use the extra 2 buttons in Dark Souls for?
For cases like DS1, I map the touchpad to joystick inputs but have it act like a trackball.

I use one of the buttons for spell switching -- I always play magic users and for a decent level of play switching magic while moving is essential. (I used to use a claw grip on traditional controllers which sucks).

langgi

Oct 27, 2017
Southeast Asia
I used Dualshock 4 and really liked it. Steam has built-in driver for it, some games natively support itfrom get-go without any additional config. And if that doesn't work, there's plenty of 3rd party apps like inputmapper or DS4Windows. Should be very easy to configure, too.

I also owned a Logitech F710 and a X360 pad, but rarely used them except for some couch coop whenever my siblings or friends visit me :^)

Inco

Oct 27, 2017

Personally, I used the grip buttons for changing equipment while still being able to move. Other people likely use them for something else, but that's just me.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What would you recommend for 2D platformers or as far as controllers with a good D-Pad? The Xbox One controller?

I can't play with the Dualshock's for a significant period of time without feeling some strain/pain on my finger.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I use Xbox controllers because of the button prompts it drives me nuts when it doesn't match up in-game

You can't go wrong with a wired 360 or wireless XBO controller (newer revision, not the launch ones.)

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
What's the main advantage this guy provides over a 360 controller?

I thought I should add some more information on my Steam controller recommendation:

Some of the weaknesses of traditional controllers that the Steam controller addresses are:
  • The (right) analog stick is terrible for any form of aiming. A lot of modern games feature aiming, first-person camera control, and/or cursor control. An analog stick is simply too imprecise and slow. The (right) pad on the Steam controller works similar to a mouse. I personally really enjoy trackball mode where you can easily control acceleration as if you were flicking a rotating ball under your thumb. The gyro support can also be really useful for aiming in conjunction with the pad.
  • Lifting your (right) thumb off the stick/pad is far from ideal. Lifting your thumb off the stick/pad in order to press face buttons has always been a problem. You shouldn't have to stop all camera and aiming functions in order to use an action. This is especially cumbersome when those actions include jumping, melee, and throwing a projectile. All of which should ideally be executed while having full control of your character. The Steam controller has grip buttons on the back. Additionally, through the flexibility of its pads, dual-stage triggers, and an insane level of customization through software, you can limit or outright remove the need to use the face buttons.
I also personally really enjoy the fact that it lasts 80+ hours on two AAs.

Last edited:

Tomodachi

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about getting a Steam Controller since my 360 pad is driving me crazy with the lack of dead zone on the right analogue stick. I find the camera rotating to the left by itself in many games with the stick in neutral position, it's unnerving.
What interests me in the Steam Controller is the customizability, since my pc is hooked to a tv and I play it from my sofa it would be a huge help (I also have a trackball instead of a normal mouse so that helps too but using a single device would be nicer). I don't mind about the d-pad a lot since I rarely use it (not a fan of 2d beat em ups) and the game+controller bundles on steam are usually very tempting, especially during sales (I would get one of those mostly with cards money, on top of that).
The only thing that's putting me off from taking one is that I think an hardware revision might be coming soon, do you guys think that's likely despite the not-really-huge success of the controller?

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
For cases like DS1, I map the touchpad to joystick inputs but have it act like a trackball.

I use one of the buttons for spell switching -- I always play magic users and for a decent level of play switching magic while moving is essential. (I used to use a claw grip on traditional controllers which sucks).

Interesting. I do find myself clutching the controller in bizarre ways to do stuff like that.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I use an Xbox One controller with the wireless adapter and eneloop batteries.

Nearly 700 hours of Rocket League (as well as other games) with this set up and the pad is still fine and the batteries still hold charge like new.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use a Dualshock 4 with DS4Windows for everything. Great for emulating PS2 games authentically too. XBONE controller is a fine choice too, with the added benefit of surefire compatibility (I still have some annoying issues with DS4Windows at times)

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
["this guy" being the Steam controller]
  1. Better camera/aiming controls using trackball emulation on the right touchpad. (Well, "better" for me and many others, it's hard to make a general statement about this) It's somewhere between a thumbstick and a mouse for me.
  2. Two additional grip buttons which are easy to reach while holding the controller normally.
  3. Extreme configurability using Steam (but much of that now also applies to other controllers -- still there are tons of things you can do with the touchpads)
For me personally, it's also more comfortable to hold than almost any other controller. Your hands are angled inward more -- it's the only controller where I can use all 4 shoulder buttons with individual fingers using my natural grip.

Thanks for the summary. It sounds interesting, I'd have to try it myself I guess to understand what the trackball emulation feels like. Maybe I'll pick one up the next time it's on sale.

chub

Oct 28, 2017
I use a Dualshock 4 and DS4Windows, since I already had it and it works fine for me. I actually use it wired with the PC and wireless with the PS4, as it saves me switching the Bluetooth pairing back and forth.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the Xbox one s controller (the pinky faded special edition, it's beautiful!) wired. Been flawless. Really nice controller and most everything is just ready to go. Haven't encountered a game that doesn't work flawlessly.

I keep batteries in it despite using a cable to have that nice weighty feel.

Felix Lighter

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers typically have the least fuss. Steam Controller is the most versatile but may require you to relearn some things.

sourbeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
aww here
Have to echo either a 360 controller or DS4. Both are comfortable pieces and IME very easy to configure, pretty sure the 360 is just plug and play anymore.

Also finding this little thing to be great for emulation and indie stuff.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Xbone controller all the way. It is pretty much the best controller ever made, hands down. And it's amazing how seamlessly it just works if you have Windows 10; just hold down a button for three seconds and it wirelessly connects, and many Stream games even auto-recognize it and change their button prompts. Requiring AA batteries in 2017 is its only flaw.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's complicated.

The Xbox One controller is great for out of the box implementation. However, if you're doing everything through Steam, you'll get so much more functionality with a DS4 or a Steam Controller.

Plus, the Steam controller works great as a mouse replacement for desktop use.

Abyss

Oct 27, 2017
I'd also like to know some suggestions. I had bought a x1 controller but it didn't work with a few games I have like Mirror's Edge I was just thinking of getting a 360 controller but I hate the dpad. If someone could explain how DS4Windows works that would be appreciated thanks

Croaker

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One is my preferred. If a game doesn't have native support for it I'll use STEAM controller if it has configs. As a last result, I'll use the One controller with custom xpadder configs. I don't really care for xpadder though.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I am in love with the Steam Controller but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who just wants to play PC games with a controller as simply as possible. If you like to tinker then it is a fantastic piece of kit.

HDNA

Oct 27, 2017
i've tried the xb1, xb360 and the ps4 controller and x360 controller give me hand fatigue after a while. go for the xb1 controller just so you won't have any problem with Xinput only games

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I bought an Elite and it's great. It's expensive, but it's comfortable to use and feels sturdy. The latest revision of the Xbone pad is a good option too.

redlupine

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried a lot of controllers in my time, but I gotta say the PS4 controller I currently use is the best available right now.

I found the Xbox One controller to have too flimsy a D-Pad, which eventually started having issues recognizing inputs. The PS3 controller suffers from a lack of support and had constant connection issues with me.

Before controllers became USB connected, I used to have a battery powered Logitech brand controller, but these days it's probably for the best to stick to the official ones. The quality of the controller matters a lot, a cheap one will wear out quickly in some place, like maybe a bad button or delayed inputs which makes the whole thing useless.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Steam Controller for PC games/comfy couch desktop browsing (I have mine setup so I can have any needed function at the touch of a Steam chord).
WiiUPro/DS4/XOne pads (depending on your stick placement and D-Pad preference) for console ports/emulation, with the exception of MegaDrive/Saturn emulators, for which I have Hori Fighting Commander.

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I use the Xbox one Elite controller and it's glorious! The ergonomics of it makes playing games a pleasure.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would get an Xbox One Elite controller if you can swing it. The paddles are brilliant and can be remapped to keyboard inputs or macros with reWASD, allowing you access to four new buttons instead of just four secondary buttons.
Brook's X One adapter, which releases and ships early next month, will make it so you can use gyro with your Elite controller on PC, and use your Elite controller on any platform you want.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy my DS4. Especially with the Steam Controller API, where I can bind whatever I want to the touchpad. Usually two buttons in split mode. ( for example in Prey: on the left side Quicksave - short press, quickload - long press, and on the right side the Map) The full Steam Controller has, I assume, even more customizability, but this suits me just fine so far. Maybe once the supposed refresh for the Steam Controller drops, I'll get one.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox one elite. It feels great and I love the paddles once I got used to them.