• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Hi all,

I'm looking for some recs on 4k monitors for PS5. Who here currently uses a monitor instead of a TV and what model do you use?

I'm pretty flexible on budget. I want 4k HDR between 27" and 32" for sure and maybe 144Hz but not concrete on that yet.

So what you playing on Era?

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
The LG C9/CX seem like the gold standard. We're so happy with our 4k 65" LG C9 OLED.

OP
OP
Launchpad

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I'm happy you are all enjoying your TVs. But I already have a C9, I'm looking to pick up a monitor as well.

Jun 10, 2018
HDMI 2.1 monitors are coming out soon. So I'd say wait for those. The cheapest of the bunch will be the 32" Philips 328m1r which got delayed from last summer to Q1 of this year to add HDMI 2.1. It has Display HDR 600, 120hz panel, and it will cost $600/€600.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Hey blacklotus any potential finds so far? (4K HDR monitor)

I reserved one of the Eve Spectrum monitors - the 4K HDR 144hz model. Not sure how good it will actually turn out.

evedevices.com

Spectrum Gaming Monitors

Our Spectrum line-up features best-in-class gaming monitors, including Spectrum 4k 144Hz and Spectrum QHD 280Hz. Impeccable performance, latest-gen specifications, and 27” IPS panels... our monitors are guaranteed to change the way you game for good.

Keeping an eye out for other options / reviews of the Spectrum. The preview from Linus was... a bit worrying.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Monitors are so far behind TVs right now, or so it seems. HDR is not great, most are still edge lit.

I legitimately can't find a monitor that doesn't have major drawbacks in image quality or performance. I want FALD or OLED, HDR and 144hz with VRR. There is an Asus model, but it doesn't seem to be for sale yet, last I checked.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
None, there are no hdmi 2.1 monitors yet.

I bought some cheap LG VA 4k 32" as a temporary display, and it's actually decent for the PS5 with very basic HDR and good contrast, but awful for text/colours with my laptop plugged in, like, really bad.

I might just hold off until there are 30-something inch OLED tvs as a monitor, as the monitor market is so full of low QA crap.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa

Yep, I have the 27UL600. Very similar specs to this and I would say the UL600 is solid as well. One thing to note about these models is that they are VESA certified for 400nits which I think is relatively bright as far as HDR monitor go (based on what is available). It took me a bit to get the settings dialed in on mine, but once I did I was relatively happy with the HDR picture. I say relatively as I own a CX, so it obviously doesn't compare to that.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,

I'm looking for some recs on 4k monitors for PS5. Who here currently uses a monitor instead of a TV and what model do you use?

I'm pretty flexible on budget. I want 4k HDR between 27" and 32" for sure and maybe 144Hz but not concrete on that yet.

So what you playing on Era?

The LG Ultragear 27 that it's coming in April. It has HDMI 2.1 support and up to 160hz refresh rate.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey blacklotus any potential finds so far? (4K HDR monitor)

I reserved one of the Eve Spectrum monitors - the 4K HDR 144hz model. Not sure how good it will actually turn out.

evedevices.com

Spectrum Gaming Monitors

Our Spectrum line-up features best-in-class gaming monitors, including Spectrum 4k 144Hz and Spectrum QHD 280Hz. Impeccable performance, latest-gen specifications, and 27” IPS panels... our monitors are guaranteed to change the way you game for good.

Keeping an eye out for other options / reviews of the Spectrum. The preview from Linus was... a bit worrying.

Not yet, but I'm going full budget on it. 4K/HDR/60Hz. Not spending more than 300€.

I'm expanding my desk (buying 1 more meter of Linnmon), buying a bigger mousemat, mic and mic arm, plus the monitor and the monitor arm.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 seems too big for a desk.

Shit looks massive on my tv stand...

BUV2zjz.jpg

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If that is the PS5 with disc than holy lord is that a big PC case. Reminds me of the giant ass pc towers from the 90s (though yours looks much nicer with the glass and the lights compared to 3 feet of solid beige).

It's the Evolv X from phanteks. It's bigger than a normal Nzxt case:

240 mm x 520 mm x 510 mm M

Edit: The Glass is on both sides, but on the other side you only see the cable management though.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Might as well wait for the HDMI 2.1 monitors that should be available first half of this year.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It's the Evolv X from phanteks. It's bigger than a normal Nzxt case:

240 mm x 520 mm x 510 mm M

Edit: The Glass is on both sides, but on the other side you only see the cable management though.
i can tell because there is a ton of free space in there.

I would never know how big it actually was though unless you put it next to the PS5 for reference.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeah, there are none as no monitor is supporting HDMI 2.1 just yet. So if you must have one now, LG CX 48" is about it.

Otherwise wait for new monitors to come out. Should be more by summer I would think.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
LG CX 48". Since getting one, nothing else compares, I won't shut up about black levels and I make everyone miserable around other monitors/televisions. 10/10 would recommend.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'm waiting for Acer to announce their new line of monitors later this year for proper HDMI 2.1 support

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I used to use a monitor for gaming until 4k/HDR became a thing and then I switched to a TV. It's a nightmare finding a good monitor with 4K/hdr plus all the 2.1 features you'd want for next gen. I went with an LG CX instead and couldn't be happier.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'd get a second one, but I'm waiting for 4k HDR 120hz monitors to become reasonably priced (along with capture equipment for that setup). The HDR on the monitor is excellent, which was a big selling point for me.
I have to ask, how are you getting excellent HDR out of a 300 nit monitor that completely lacks local dimming?

kosmickitten

Jul 2, 2019
I'm waiting till April to upgrade my monitor for my Ps5/XSS. I plan on getting the LG 27GP950. It is 4k, hdr600, hdmi 2.1 VRR, IPS, and 144hz. I was hoping their 32 inch oled would be 120hz but looks to be only 60. Of all the next gen 2.1 monitors coming, this one seems to be the most bang for your buck. And it replaces the LG 27GN950 which is considered a great looking panel from what I read. The others coming are by Acer, Asus, and Philips if you want to explore the coming options. Most of these are more expensive and come later in the year tho.

I currently use a few year old 4k LG which is still amazing looking. But can't wait to upgrade.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
How flexible is "pretty flexible"? I mean if you want one of the best it's probably the Predator X27. It costs a shit-ton.

Otherwise check the LG Ultragear. Under 1k and has everything.