• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
6057-9d000c8285acf2a37138acfa67a64f19.jpg

My favorite game of all time is Cave Story, but I love mid 2000-2010s era freeware indies. Older or newer stuff is cool too! Spelunky SD/classic and MSX style La Mulana are other great ones.

it doesn't have to be complete games, demos are OK too! Flash games ? Sure why not.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
How about Within a Deep Forest? And then the first Knytt games before they started to charge for them.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
There is a great puzzle game called Glass Keeper Glabis that is like an expansion on Solomon's Key 2/Fire N Ice

glabis_shot_06.png

I also like a few a bunaguchi's games like Psi Knuckle and Shadow Break
img.png

img.png

SPIKY ZONE

And a few of Zakichi's shmups, especially Kaikan

Honestly could post a ton of freeware games I like.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
IbBanner.png

You play as a young girl in surreal and "alive" art gallery, very good horror game.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Since it's practically December, Merry Gear Solid: Secret Santa is a short and fun very well done Metal Gear parody game. The sequel Merry Gear Solid 2: Ghosts of Christmas Past is also good but a bit too complex for it's own good IMO.

latest

Chalk is an interesting shmup controlled with the mouse, developed by Konjak (Iconoclasts, Noitu Love) in 2007

yzixn9G1sIhTRwSPC6-Be6mYpg_USPW9rcH_ARRGjW2AjE1pXJsk83N7X02ajsg7_EOhIzc3IIHuULklLBOtRPkYF2Rc9w

I believe you can get it at Konjak's website: http://www.konjak.org/

Those are all from that "golden era" of freeware indies OP mentioned.

A bit newer there's GUN GODZ which is a great Wolfenstein 3D like FPS by Vlambeer:

And I guess Sludge Life can be considered freeware as it's free until May on the EGS:

www.epicgames.com

SLUDGE LIFE | Download and Buy Today - Epic Games Store

Download and play SLUDGE LIFE at the Epic Games Store. Check for platform availability and price!

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Treasure Adventure Game is my fave

Ocean of Games

Welcome To Ocean of Games About Reviews And Download Pc Games Free. Latest oceantogames Features And Specifications In oceanofgames.

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
PyIDM is an excellent multi-stream downloader. Particularly great for archive.org acquisitions:

github.com

GitHub - firedm/FireDM: python open source (Internet Download Manager) with multi-connections, high speed engine, based on python, LibCurl, and youtube_dl https://github.com/firedm/FireDM

python open source (Internet Download Manager) with multi-connections, high speed engine, based on python, LibCurl, and youtube_dl https://github.com/firedm/FireDM - GitHub - firedm/FireDM: python ...

Good stuff.

chatsquared

Nov 19, 2020
I think Eversion fits that bill. It's a cute little retro platformer, with a twist!

1395654-ev2.png

There's a paid version on Steam now but you should be able to find the old freeware version pretty easily.

It's a horror-ish game where the gimmick is that the further you go the world slowly "everts" and goes from cheery to bleak to What The Christ. For such a simple concept it's actually pretty creative, especially in the way it manages to create its atmosphere in such a limited format.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
It really depends on the mood, but the one that is popping into my head right now is Hero Core, which is a minimalistic action adventure game:

Jul 17, 2018
Treasure Adventure Game, just all around fantastic. You can get it on GOG:
www.gog.com

Treasure Adventure Game

This game was clearly made with passion. You can see the proof of this almost everywhere.

It got a commercially made remake called Treasure Adventure World but wasn't that good and it bombed:
store.steampowered.com

Treasure Adventure World on Steam

Set sail for adventure with a paper hat on your head and a magical shrinking boat in your pocket, in search of legendary treasures! Solve tricky puzzles, battle formidable foes, piece together clues and dig up secrets to uncover your own shrouded history as you explore this sprawling open world.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
Command & Conquer
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
Ground Control
Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy
The Suffering
Grand Theft Auto 2

Didn't even know that Psi-Ops and The Suffering were free. I'll try to make some time to play them.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
header.jpg

I think I installed it (from Steam) back in May. I've put in 302 hours so far. Definitely one of my favorite things this year. The community contributions make it virtually endless.

Saks for ost

Oct 27, 2017
Oslo
www.webliero.com

WebLiero

WebLiero is a browser-based online-multiplayer clone of the classic 1998 game Liero.

A fantastic port of one of the best games ever, the mighty Liero. Playable in browser with multiplayer and all.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Your Turn to Die is a death game flavored (think Zero Escape/Danganronpa) adventure/puzzle/VN sort of deal. It's fucking excellent. Like, I'll take it over Danganronpa any day of the week excellent- and I love Danganronpa. I don't really want to spoil why I like it so much, but I will say that the character work is extremely good. Everybody in this game has endeared themselves to me in a lot of ways that'll put other games to shame. It's not complete yet (the first part of its final chapter, Chapter 3 has been released), but it's already a very satisfying and meaty experience as is. Please, please give this game a try.

Phoenix Wright: Conflict of Interest and Phoenix Weight: Contempt of Court are two full length (these are big games!!) Ace Attorney fan games that are really fantastic efforts for fan projects. They're very much not perfect and you'll have to accept some understandably clashing art styles, but seriously, they're legit.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of stone cold classics in here already.

More for the list:

Daniel Remar's Iji

35REyIW.png

Iji isn't much to look at, but it's been likened to 2D Deus Ex and I'm inclined to agree. It's a rare game that gives the player this much choice in how they build their character, and then genuinely makes every decision they made feel as valid and fully anticipated and supported by the game design as any other possibility. And then the narrative is responsive to your choices and actions too, on top of being pretty good anyway, and there's secrets and easter eggs and difficulty modes for days, so the whole thing is magnificently replayable. Music by HyperDuck Soundworks.

Everything else Remar has ever made is worth a look too, with Hero Core and Hyper Princess Pitch both being amazing in their own right.

Lyle in Cube Sector

1TwZKfB.png

A one of a kind metroidvania (which thankfully seems to still be available through archive.org) about saving your kitty with a powerset based entirely around grabbing, throwing, and conjuring cubes, backed by a funky soundtrack pulled from the tracker music scene.

Mega Man Arena

If you and a few friends are Mega Man fans, I can't think of any better way to kill a few hours.

Last edited:

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Galax, a shmup where you can hack enemies to disable their guns or even make them fight for you.

Warning Forever, a very influential shmup consisting entirely of boss fights but each boss evolves based on how you defeat the previous one.