• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rubik8

Dec 5, 2018
Dark Souls 1 is a must play. I really liked Dark Souls 3 too. DS2 is divisive. It's got some high highs but some low lows.
Bloodborne is amazing but very different from the Dark Souls games. I have not played Seiko yet.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Essential? Skip Dark Souls 2, play the rest.

Essential in the extreme? Skip them all, just play Dark Souls.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
The only level I loved in Bloodborne is the Forbidden Woods. And DS3 doesn't even have a zone that comes close to that.

We very clearly want different things out of our Souls levels if you don't think any zone in DS3 is better than Forbidden Woods. It's a good level, but c'mon. There are probably 10+ areas from DS3 I'd put above it. I really don't understand what it is you value in level design.

And better secrets? Dark Souls 1 has entire zones And bosses that are completely hidden. I never found any secret in DS3 that comes close to discovering Ash Lake, the Gwyndolin boss fight, or figuring out how to return to the undead asylum.

Admittedly discovering Ash Lake is a series-defining moment. It's amazing. But at the same time there's very little to do there but gawk at how epic it is. That said Dark Souls III has plenty of hidden zones, bosses, and covenants as well. Archdragon Peak, Untended Graves, and Smouldering Lake/Demon Ruins being the primary ones.

...but a pure spellcaster just isn't viable

? Again, I completed the game near launch as a caster without summoning. I remember it being pretty easy with the exception of Aldrich who is magic resistant. I still beat it after a few tries without compromising the build. Do you mean zero melee allowed? Is that even possible in any of the games? It sounds miserable even if it is.

- weapon arts: have a very, very situational use, cost way too many MP, and require a long windup. So they are mostly irrelevant. Give one or two useful!

There are tons of useful weapon arts. Katana parry/quick attack, halberd/spear charges, long/shortsword shield break, Dragonslayer Greataxe/Swordspear lightning attack, Perseverance, Sunlight Straightsword buff, etc, etc, etc. Honestly looking at the list on the wiki I think most weapons have a useful weapon art. Yeah you need to invest a few points into MP to use them more than a couple times. That's the tradeoff.

Here's the kicker about weapon arts though... they're just extra. Even if you completely removed them from the game you'd still have parity with Dark Souls 1. It's literally just icing on the combat cake.

- revamp the world: it's pretty linear, lacking in connectiveness, colour, and thematically is very...off. Plus there is a distinct lack of useful items in the first third or so. And as a personal note, I dislike how it funnels you into crowds.

Yeah it's linear. Just like Dark Souls 2, the other game you mentioned in your original post. No remaster would change that. It was very clearly a design decision to have you go on a journey to faraway lands instead of having a big interconnected world like Dark Souls 1. I prefer DS1's style as well, but people really need to let it go. It's the only game in the series like it so it's clearly the exception, not the rule.

I'm not sure what you mean about the color and the theme; they both seem great to me. It's a world on the brink of death. It's grey and dead, but there's plenty of beauty to be found as well.

I love the line about funneling you into crowds. Dark Souls 2 is Crowds of Enemies: The Video Game. It really seems like your criticism has some double standards here.

- poise does not fucking work, you see clothed enemies whose attacks aren't stopped by hits. What you said are iframes, poise is broken since release and has never been fixed.

It doesn't seem like you understand how poise works in Dark Souls III. It's similar to Demon's Souls' hyper armor. Poise only takes effect when you're swinging your weapon. It works exactly as it's supposed to.

It was broken at launch though so maybe you just assumed it never got fixed?

- rough edges: most infusions provide close to no benefit, builds lack variety, it abuses hp sponges enemies, how the combat feels is completely out of place within the world (and looks stupid), the weight is gone. The estus progression is fine. The changes in enemy behaviour made shields pretty useless except as an "oh shit" emergency block, because dodgerolling is faster, costs way less stamina and gives you iframes...

Infusions... I've done a refined, raw, heavy, sharp, hollow, blessed, and dark/deep infused build. And crystal for a while early on in my mage build. All worked out great. I know Chaos is very strong as well. That leaves fire, poison, blood, lightning, and simple. I think fire and lightning are probably fine, but poison, blood, and simple are indeed probably pointless. But I could be wrong? Anyway, at the very least it's definitely not "most" infusions that are useless.

Build variety is just as good as any other Souls game except for 2.

The only enemy/boss I'd call a hit sponge is Midir, and combat neither feels out of place nor looks stupid to me, but I guess that's highly subjective. I don't think you'd find many people agree with you. Shields being less sturdy is a good thing. They're way too strong in the other games.

- the engine: textures load very late, playing on ps5 you see texture loading and geometry warping in and out of existence when you move the camera. And even at 1080p, it stutters a lot.

Sounds like a console problem. These issues do not exist on PC.

In conclusion, thinking Dark Souls III needs a remaster is pretty absurd. If any game in the series needs it it's 2.

Last edited:

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
skip 2, play the rest

This. 2 is a profoundly mediocre game but everything else is great.

DS3, Bloodborne, and Sekiro are all different enough and also the highlights you should check out. Dark 1 is kind of a stiff clunker at this point that looks and plays worse than the rest of From's game, minus 2. Detached from its importance to From's work, and it's overall influence on gaming, it's less good than the other options available.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Dark Souls 1
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 3
Bloodborne

Yes, they are all essential. Not a single bad game in there.

EDIT: Sekiro is excellent as well, but not really a Souls game.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge souls fan and I recently grabbed Surge 2 on sale. I have to say I was super surprised at how enjoyable it is, imo it's really one of the best non From souls games (and I've played nearly all of them) definitely worth picking it up next time it's on sale. Nioh is also fantastic.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I'm a huge souls fan and I recently grabbed Surge 2 on sale. I have to say I was super surprised at how enjoyable it is, imo it's really one of the best non From souls games (and I've played nearly all of them) definitely worth picking it up next time it's on sale. Nioh is also fantastic.

I just played The Surge 2 myself and I agree, it's pretty decent. They've really got their shortcut-based level structure down.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
I just played The Surge 2 myself and I agree, it's pretty decent. They've really got their shortcut-based level structure down.
Yeah right, the amount of tints I opened a door and went "holy shit, I'm here...." Very impressive level design. I'm also loving the combat and the simplicity of the leveling up system.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
We very clearly want different things out of our Souls levels if you don't think any zone in DS3 is better than Forbidden Woods. It's a good level, but c'mon. There are probably 10+ areas from DS3 I'd put above it. I really don't understand what it is you value in level design.

Admittedly discovering Ash Lake is a series-defining moment. It's amazing. But at the same time there's very little to do there but gawk at how epic it is. That said Dark Souls III has plenty of hidden zones, bosses, and covenants as well. Archdragon Peak, Untended Graves, and Smouldering Lake/Demon Ruins being the primary ones.

? Again, I completed the game near launch as a caster without summoning. I remember it being pretty easy with the exception of Aldrich who is magic resistant. I still beat it after a few tries without compromising the build. Do you mean zero melee allowed? Is that even possible in any of the games? It sounds miserable even if it is.

There are tons of useful weapon arts. Katana parry/quick attack, halberd/spear charges, long/shortsword shield break, Dragonslayer Greataxe/Swordspear lightning attack, Perseverance, Sunlight Straightsword buff, etc, etc, etc. Honestly looking at the list on the wiki I think most weapons have a useful weapon art. Yeah you need to invest a few points into MP to use them more than a couple times. That's the tradeoff.

Here's the kicker about weapon arts though... they're just extra. Even if you completely removed them from the game you'd still have parity with Dark Souls 1. It's literally just icing on the combat cake.

Yeah it's linear. Just like Dark Souls 2, the other game you mentioned in your original post. No remaster would change that. It was very clearly a design decision to have you go on a journey to faraway lands instead of having a big interconnected world like Dark Souls 1. I prefer DS1's style as well, but people really need to let it go. It's the only game in the series like it so it's clearly the exception, not the rule.

I'm not sure what you mean about the color and the theme; they both seem great to me. It's a world on the brink of death. It's grey and dead, but there's plenty of beauty to be found as well.

I love the line about funneling you into crowds. Dark Souls 2 is Crowds of Enemies: The Video Game. It really seems like your criticism has some double standards here.

It doesn't seem like you understand how poise works in Dark Souls III. It's similar to Demon's Souls' hyper armor. Poise only takes effect when you're swinging your weapon. It works exactly as it's supposed to.

It was broken at launch though so maybe you just assumed it never got fixed?

Infusions... I've done a refined, raw, heavy, sharp, hollow, blessed, and dark/deep infused build. And crystal for a while early on in my mage build. All worked out great. I know Chaos is very strong as well. That leaves fire, poison, blood, lightning, and simple. I think fire and lightning are probably fine, but poison, blood, and simple are indeed probably pointless. But I could be wrong? Anyway, at the very least it's definitely not "most" infusions that are useless.

Build variety is just as good as any other Souls game except for 2.

The only enemy/boss I'd call a hit sponge is Midir, and combat neither feels out of place nor looks stupid to me, but I guess that's highly subjective. I don't think you'd find many people agree with you. Shields being less sturdy is a good thing. They're way too strong in the other games.

Sounds like a console problem. These issues do not exist on PC.

In conclusion, thinking Dark Souls III needs a remaster is pretty absurd. If any game in the series needs it it's 2.
Apparently I'm not into the minority, I'm THE minority. Weapon arts are, as you say, a plus...I just don't see it worth it over basic attack or parry. They are an extra that adds nothing that can't be done more efficiently otherwise. That could be my love of efficiency speaking tho.
Casting being tied to MP is something that I liked at first, but the estus trade off is something that makes it simply not a good choice for anyone other than an experienced player. And yes, pure casting is impossible, but even a pure caster boss is hard to accomplish with the pitiful mp regen without sacrificing many hp estus. This I admit is a personal thing, I loved the attunement system and uses, and didn't force me to choose.
DS2 is very linear, but its world has a surreal quality to it DS3 does not. Has the general coherence of DS1, but without the smart ways to move. Idk if I'm ecplaining myself well.
And the crowds in DS2 were fine to me, but apparently everyone hated it. But in DS3 they are fine? Crowds in DS2 rarely mixed many enemy types, maybe Drangleic castle? In DS3 you get many crowds of different enemies in a faster game, so you end up, again, rolling like crazy (and sorry to repeat nyself, but a fully armored guy rolling around at Mach1 looks odd to me). I don't get why shields being basically a trap against more than 2 enemies is a good thing. There were several 100% phy/fire def shields in the rest,you could fix that without nerfing them this much, here stability is just ridiculous.
Poise thing you may be right that I just assumed it never got fixed, tbh I still don't feel it well in the ps4 version but could be entirely me.
So...maybe a remaster no, but a new cut I'd like to see. Or just assume that I don't like it for reasons I can't quite describe and move on, I guess.
Oh, and about spongey enemies, I meant there are many minibosses and "special" enemies (in undead settlement, i.e, those nuns) which are either really high in HP, or have weaknesses I haven't found yet (likely, being honest).

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Dark Souls and Bloodborne are your essential picks. After that, if you want more, then you can return to this thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i love all of demon's souls, dark souls 2 and 3 and bloodborne. all excellent. all essential. sekiro is not a souls game, but also excellent and essential

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
They all should be played, but if you want to start with a couple in particular, do Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
Why don't you have time? Military? Either way, all games are great and available on PS5. I suggest going in order of release (Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro), the "bad" one is Dark Souls 2, and really it just feels like it was made by the B team and some of the environments feel less interesting than Dark Souls 1. But, it could be your favorite game? Lots of people love it. For me, Bloodborne is the crème de la crème. Also, all games after Demon's Souls have DLC/Additional content and, unlike other games, they are usually the best stuff in the series, specially Bloodborne. I enjoyed Dark Souls 1 DLC too!

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Play them all if you like Demon's Souls. Start in order and whatever you don't get to, you don't get to.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
The D Souls titles are very similar to each other, so eh, just play Bloodborne, it's the best in terms of pretty much everything.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
The "essential" Souls games? If you're already playing Demon's then there are only four others counting Bloodborne. It's not exact a massive list to sort through. Just play all of them. Yes, including DS2, ignore the haters.

Aug 12, 2019
I would recommend you play Dark Souls 1 after Demon's Souls, then move into Bloodborne, and then come back to Dark Souls 3. Those are sort of the essential games and then if you're still hungry for more, but in a unique way, go into Sekiro since it's a very different game that plays extremely differently to the rest (Bloodborne does play differently and requires different things from you the player, but not to the extent that Sekiro does). THEN and only then, if you still want to play more, I'd recommend Dark Souls 2 since it's a long game with many rough edges and areas that may turn you off and you don't want it to turn you off from the series as a whole if it rubs you the wrong way. It's still an intriguing game that is worth playing with some pretty solid moments, but it's the weirdest and often times most frustrating entry in the series with a weird feeling to play. Not bad, but definitely something I would never prioritize.

If you only have time to play a couple games though, play Dark Souls 1 with its DLC and then Bloodborne and its DLC. They are the best games From has made by far.

Oct 27, 2017
I would recommend Bloodborne the most because it does everything right. The placement of enemies on maps, worldbuilding, deep lore, combat mechanics, boss fights, art style, etc. It's all magnificent and perfectly produced. If you're AT ALL into cosmic horror, gothic or Lovecraftian stuffs, this a must-play. I feel that Bloodborne has a very balanced and cohesive feel through and through, and there really isn't a single aspect of the game that feels cheap or artificially difficult. Even the limited Blood Vials and Blood Echoes and "farming" aspect of the game is fairly balanced and awards the player for not becoming an overpowered juggernaut. Like it reinforces the speedrunning aspect, which I think is a big part of the Souls experience.

My next would be Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3. 3 in particular lets you explore a lot more options in terms of gameplay and setting variety, but it might be overwhelming if you're not familiar with RPG's. If you like magic, shields, a wide amount of armor selection, and pretty much an unlimited (based on how many times you die) healing flask, then this game is for you. The maps are also huge, like way more big than Bloodborne, so you'll definitely get lost in the labyrinthian despair of castles, dungeons, catacombs and deep, dark forests and wild areas. Honestly, some areas are downright terrifying, but oh so worth playing.

Last edited:

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are it for me.

Never finished Dark Souls, never played two. Dark Souls3 felt like a best of despite all that. I never truly felt like I was playing a new game.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

I see Dark Souls 1 through 3 and Bloodborne are available on PS4. Which ones are the essential entries in the series, and which ones can I skip?

You can't skip any of them. There's only 3 (4 if you count Bloodborne) of them! 😳

Play them on release order: DS > SOTFS > Bloodborne > DS3.

Also, play something else between games to avoid burnout. The games are pretty similar to one another.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Just play them all, in release order. If you're truly short on time, just get through them at your own pace.

Demon's -> Dark -> 2 / SotFS -> Bloodborne -> 3

The only thing to note is that you should also get/do all of the DLC available for each title. DLC bosses are always some of the best in the series, across the board for every game.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Demon Souls, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3 would be my top 3.
I haven't played Sekrio yet and I won't until I get a PS5 so I can't comment on that one.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Dark Souls 1 if you're interested in a more interconnected world
Bloodborne if you want to play the best game From Soft has made
Dark Souls 3 if you hate yourself

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Just play through the trilogy, then throw most of your knowledge away and play through Bloodborne and Sekiro if you like. Sekiro is the least like the Souls games though.