• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
i.e. games that someone who is relatively new to games might find approachable. Games like A Short Hike, Wandersong, or the recent Yoshi games.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Hm... Pokemon?

But other than that: Ni No Kuni 1, Ratchet and Yo-Kai Watch are very fun.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
8194T6OatxL._SL1500_.jpg

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Astro's Playroom (PS5) / Rescue Mission (PSVR) came to mind first.

Stardew Valley (all platforms and also edit: already mentioned) is a great one. Its art style is probably its weakest quality, but I liked it for its simplistic charm. One of my favorites from a few years ago.

Edit 2: Untitled Goose Game is another, although I didn't like that one nearly as much as the internet did. World of Final Fantasy Maxima might also be something to look into if they have any interest in turn-based RPGs w/ Pokemon elements. A lot of the enjoyment comes out of all the FF references, but I do think it's quite cute regardless.

Edit 3: Songbird Symphony. :)

Last edited:

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
LocoRoco has some of the most adorable character art I have seen in a game, highly recommend if you like off-kilter platformers.

Mar 31, 2018
Kirby games but I suppose you already considered those. Very simple obviously and very cute

Tearaway Unfolded is also cute, well, in my opinion

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Stardew Valley especially if they liked Animal Crossing. It's a farming life sim and one of the best games ever. And cute.

—Donut County : easy to play, short, and cute
—Kirby Star Allies : cute, easy Switch platformer
—Slime Rancher : on PC/PS4/Xbox One. Catch and raise slimes. Explore world. Cuteness overload

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Just played Donut county, it's adorable and a fun playthrough.

First thing I thought of though was Astrobot!

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Nintendo first party games easily
Kirby, Mario dressed as a kitten

Tearaway is also a good recommendation

for indies i recommend

www.youtube.com

Double Fine Presents // Knights and Bikes - Launch Trailer “I Wanna Ride My Bike!”

OUT NOW for PS4, PC, Mac and LinuxSteam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/592480/Knights_And_Bikes/GOG - https://www.gog.com/game/knights_and_bikesPS4 - h...

www.youtube.com

Ooblets Wholesome Direct Trailer

So happy to have been able to be a part of such an amazing show! You should watch the full thing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCNzOPR8Ck&feature=yo...

Also i played the demo and ... keep a look at this one

store.steampowered.com

Chicory: A Colorful Tale on Steam

A top-down adventure game in a coloring book world full of vibrant characters. Use painting powers to explore, solve puzzles, make friends, and draw on anything! From creators on Wandersong + Celeste.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Ori games have some cute and beautiful character designs, but they're hard and I probably wouldn't recommend them to someone new to games.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Wattam is very charming. Its less "game" than the ones you mentioned but, its still a game that always puts a smile on my face.
ss_f87ff1f1c17020a33f49d385caa64fd459b79868.1920x1080.jpg

Also there is Kirby's Epic Yarn but, its a Wii game which, I know is huge downside these days.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Dang, ya'll took the ones I was gonna suggest. Ooblets, Slime Rancher, Donut County, Wattam. Yoku maybe. Costume Quest 1+2 and Carto are.. kinda cute .. lol. If they're ok with Wandersong, then maybe something like Spiritfarer is fair game too?

julian

Oct 27, 2017

My kid has been obsessed with this game and I fucking hate it. The requirements to unlock things are rough for a kid new to games. Somehow we made it through the whole game only to then see there were extra levels that require replaying levels to get way too many of those fucking smiley flowers. And it's just the same few songs over and over and over again.

I'll throw in Donut County as a recommendation.

Aufdeel

Apr 5, 2020
Right now I'm playing Sackboy and seems to fit your criteria: Accesible in it's difficulty for newcomers and, even if I'm not sure to say its aesteticaly cute as some others, I find it visually very charming, if that makes sense (trying my best with my poor english, heh). Anyway, a very enjoyable game so far.