• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sigh... people mentioning Golden Sun, Megaman and stuff...

Some people here really don't understand the term "hidden gem".

Agh, I TOTALLY forgot - one of the finest games few people have played...again because it's an import:

gaijinguide_starfy1.jpg

THE MF'in LEGENDARY STARFY - aka Densetsu no Starfy
The Legendary Starfy 1-3 are all on the GBA. If you haven't played any of the GBA series, you are in for a treat.

AGBPB3Djnewshots.jpg

These games are sooo full of excellent gameplay. There's a fan translation out for at least one of them.
They're not particularly challenging, but they are a blast to play!

Do yourself a favor and go find and play through one of these gems.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Double Dragon Advance is also pretty underrated.
Anyway, as Seven Force mentioned, my pick would be Double Dragon Advance. I mentioned it in another thread, but it's secretly the best DD title out there -- a remake that very much kept true to the original DD1, both in aesthetics and gameplay, while finessing and borrowing elements from later titles, and doubling the core game with all-new stages. This is the one I'll continue to revisit whenever I need my DD beat 'em up fix.

51KC7Q2AM6L.jpg

Great pick. It's such an awesome game. Truly one of the greatest beat 'em ups ever.

I wish Double Dragon 4 looked (and played) like this, instead of like a NES game.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Here are a few more HIDDEN gems:

Lady Sia
Samurai Jack - The Amulet Of Time (it's a decent metroidvania)

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Medal of Honor: Infiltrator
hqdefault.jpg

If you run 'n gun shooters like Contra or Shock Troopers then you'll like this game

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
This was a pretty great game for the GBA, unfortunately it never made it to the US, however the sequel did make it to the DS but it wasn't as good (Still Enjoyed it though)

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
The first couple of Beyblade games are ace. They're basically Marble Madness with Monkey Ball-style stages.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I would say that Aggressive Inline and Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 3 are the games that probably not get much attention because how awesome THPS series for GBA was back then. These 2 games pretty much the same like THPS2, even graphics look a like, but they are awesome Xtreme games that you can play on GBA with somewhat decent control and real vocal soundtracks.

Oct 27, 2017
Oho, another excuse for me to bring up Game & Watch Gallery 4.

It includes 20 Game & Watch games, including gems like Donkey Kong Jr., and even has Zelda as an unlockable. It's got tons of replay value and loose carts are dirt cheap. Even as a Nintendo produced title, it's rare to see it mentioned.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Agh, I TOTALLY forgot - one of the finest games few people have played...again because it's an import:

gaijinguide_starfy1.jpg

The Legendary Starfy 1-3 are all on the GBA. If you haven't played any of the GBA series, you are in for a treat.

AGBPB3Djnewshots.jpg

These games are sooo full of excellent gameplay. There's a fan translation out for at least one of them.

Still find it absolutely baffling these game never got localised.

I guess a cute, colourful platformer on a Nintendo handheld would have no real sales potential. /s

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I have to shout out Tomato Adventure in here too. It's an RPG by Alphadream, made prior to Superstar Saga, but feels incredibly similar. It's got a fun art style, great music, and fantastic gameplay too. Not sure if it ever got a western release, but it's fantastic nonetheless.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
It's only a hidden gem because it wasn't released in the West, but...

Kururin Paradise is one of my favorite games. Some cool unlockable content, and plenty of the main game to get through.
Fantastic handheld game - gameplay is English friendly, for the most part, too.

The original Kuru Kuru Kururin didn't come out for the GBA in the US either (Japan and Europe only), so is also worth looking into. Apparently it is available digitally on the Wii U though.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I figured it would be a popular answer lol. I really like 6 too. Idk what the consensus is on it. 4 was ok. I couldn't get into 5

I replayed them all last year and I still love them all, some more some less but I think they are all still great. It was a bit easy to get lost in MMBN2 and 3 but MMBN4-6 streamlined the internet. I can see however how people might not like the fifth entry, the story and the SRPG battles are really a bit meh. Okay and I skipped the first game because that aged far more roughly than the rest though with the DS remaster having a English patch now I might have to grab a copy if it's cheap and play that instead.

One thing I noticed, the themes and events seem a bit more disturbing to adult-me than than they felt as a kid, realizing what the WWW really does and the end of MMBN2 in the final parts where the real and the digital worlds merge.

I plan to tackle Starforce this year! :D

Remove the Assist and you can get a decent Super Robot War clone. But i agree, both the story and the music are so good. One of the best strategy RPG on the system.

I agree, but even then the combat is sadly a bit too sparse in all aspects, like a SRPG lite. Still the moment where Pharsti goes Orbital Frame is amazing and gives me chills to this day! :D

gaijinguide_starfy1.jpg

AGBPB3Djnewshots.jpg

I've been meaning to play them eventually actually, are they cheap to import?

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Columns Crown. Incredible music and solid puzzling with a crazy mode which is like a story mode which gets harder and harder the further you go.

I've been meaning to play them eventually actually, are they cheap to import?

Oh, yes! You should be able to get them under 15 usd for sure - I think i got mine for around 7-10 dollars.

The only caveat of these games is that you should have a guide pulled up for the few times when the objectives aren't clear, if you're not playing a fan translation.

Beyond that, the games are pretty straightforward!

Samuri

Oct 26, 2017
Bomberman Tournament's single player mode is slept on because it's Bomberman (and you buy it for the multiplayer), but it's a full "zelda-like" with Bomberman combat.

It has lovely crisp spritework:
tumblr_inline_p9fliiC8x71rspbo8_500.png

And a soundtrack that absolutely slaps and I've never seen anyone discussing, ever:

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
616XFPJM29L._AC_.jpg

A pretty solid action platformer that looks absolutely stunning, IMO. It won't rock your world or anything but I think it's worth a look if you're at all interested in overlooked GBA games.

Edit:
Lady Sia is my absolute favorite GBA game.
153308-lady-sia-game-boy-advance-front-cover.jpg

Lady-Sia-Game-Boy-Advance-GBA-Xtreme-Retro-16.png
just noticed your post and I'm still surprised that there's someone else who remembers this game.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, yes! You should be able to get them under 15 usd for sure - I think i got mine for around 7-10 dollars.

The only caveat of these games is that you should have a guide pulled up for the few times when the objectives aren't clear, if you're not playing a fan translation.

Beyond that, the games are pretty straightforward!

Alright thanks! I would eventually use any translation-patches so that's fine :)

Bomberman Tournament's single player mode is slept on because it's Bomberman (and you buy it for the multiplayer), but it's a full "zelda-like" with Bomberman combat.

It has lovely crisp spritework:
tumblr_inline_p9fliiC8x71rspbo8_500.png

And a soundtrack that absolutely slaps and I've never seen anyone discussing, ever:

Why did I never heard of this before, it looks and sounds stunning o.o

Samuri

Oct 26, 2017
Why did I never heard of this before, it looks and sounds stunning o.o

Some more screenshots! Unfortunately most of the screenshots online are from the first areas but the game has your classic zelda spread of environments, with snow, swamp and desert biomes.

Oh, and it has a whole Pokemon style monster collecting side-quest.

GBA--Bomberman%20Tournament_May12%2010_47_06.png

GBA--Bomberman%20Tournament_May12%2010_43_31.png

GBA--Bomberman%20Tournament_May12%2010_36_29.png

Their mascot monster (which I don't think actually debuted in this game) is a perfectly unsubtle blend of Pikachu and Kirby:

GBA--Bomberman%20Tournament_Jul15%2021_40_47.png

GBA--Bomberman%20Tournament_Dec22%2016_20_27.png

And here's my personal favourite track in the game:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Some more screenshots! Unfortunately most of the screenshots online are from the first areas but the game has your classic zelda spread of environments, with snow, swamp and desert biomes.

Oh, and it has a whole Pokemon style monster collecting side-quest.

GBA--Bomberman%20Tournament_May12%2010_47_06.png

GBA--Bomberman%20Tournament_May12%2010_43_31.png

GBA--Bomberman%20Tournament_May12%2010_36_29.png

Their mascot monster (which I don't think actually debuted in this game) is a perfectly unsubtle blend of Pikachu and Kirby:

GBA--Bomberman%20Tournament_Jul15%2021_40_47.png

GBA--Bomberman%20Tournament_Dec22%2016_20_27.png

And here's my personal favourite track in the game:

Thanks for the heads-up, I guess I'll put it on my list of games to eBay! :D And that track is great, thanks for sharing that too.

Sadly I had to push my modded GBA SP project even further seeing that the PS5 releases this year, a Switch revision could be worth buying too and the fate of my PC hardware is uncertain still too but one day I'll have a GBA SP with a great screen and play all the GBA gems I missed!

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
I love Battle Network but I fully recognize that that's not a hidden gem. Also no love for Mega Man Zero, guys?

I really liked both Summon Knight: Swordcraft story games. Fun little JRPG's with a great crafting systems.
I came here to say this because I didn't think anyone else actually would!

Last edited:

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Konami_Krazy_Racers_box.jpg

Konami Krazy Racers is a better kart racer than Mario Kart Super Circuit in pretty much every regard, it is wacky, fast, has a really fun roster (Vic Viper! Bear Tank! Dracula! Goemon!) and top notch music.

515xkm3DfbL.AC_SX215_.jpg

Looks like absolute shovelware and reviewed poorly (due to the console versions) - but the GBA version of Super Bubble Pop is actually a really addictive puzzle game with a soundtrack that sounds almost like early 90s CD audio from a Mega CD, something which you just don't think the hardware is capable of.

A few choice songs:

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Kuru Kuru Kururin

Wish there was more, or something like it. Pretty sure I struggled to play through a JP only sequel.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Drill Dozer and Astro Boy have been stated already but they really are essentially gaming for GBA.

A hidden gem I really enjoyed was Hamtaro: Ham Ham Games. Lots of fun minigames, especially if you like the Hamtaro series (which I did).

EDIT: I just discovered that the Mario & Luigi people made that Hamtaro game...and they're bankrupt as of last year. :(

Last edited: