• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I've been meaning to check out some completely different music than i usually do. I've always loved music in Japanese games and in anime too. Most of the music I've found to be very calming and just great to listen to. I'm not sure if it's folk music that I'm after, maybe I am, but I need recommendations.

I love the instruments used in the songs I've posted below. So I guess similar to that is what I'm looking for. I am ok with the artist singing or no singing at all and if you want to recommend me certain video game songs, go ahead! Please do :)

This way I hope to find some great music.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

youtu.be

Tenchu Music - Far Away (Ending Theme)

"Tenchu: Stealth Assassins" is a PlayStation game developed by Acquire and published by Sony Music/Activision in 1998. The game's soundtrack was composed by ...

youtu.be

Naruto Soundtrack- Sadness and Sorrow (FULL VERSION)

You can purchase naruto soundtracks here : http://tinyurl.com/d8s7tau (US) http://tinyurl.co...

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Masayoshi Soken. His FFXIV soundtracks are awesome.

Yuzo Koshiro. He composes the Etrian Odyssey soundtracks, and they are also superb.

Something different from videogames, Hiroyuki Sawano. If you have watched Attack on Titan, then he is the composer of said anime. He also composes music with Japanese singers like LiSA or Aimer.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
For non video game music, I highly recommend Rie Fu. While some of her songs have been used in anime, she is pretty much not anime. She's a folk rock-pop artist and is similar to Cheryl Crow or The Carpenters. She's actually done a Carpenters cover album. And she also paints, I have one of her prints framed in my home.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
After listening to the songs in the OP I'd say joe hisaishi would be something you'd like. He does the music for a lot of movies well known for his Ghibli work.

youtu.be

HANA-BI

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupHANA-BI · Joe HisaishiHANA-BI℗ 1998 UNIVERSAL J, a division of UNIVERSAL MUSIC LLCReleased on: 1998-01-01Associat...

youtu.be

Princess Mononoke (Hime) Joe Hisaishi in Budokan

Made for Entertainment purposes only.All Credit for uploaded videos go to Joe HisaishiI insist you buy the DVD version in blu-ray which can be found here, ht...

youtu.be

Joe Hisaishi - One Summer's Day

Official music video by Joe Hisaishi ►LINK: https://deccagold.lnk.to/DreamSongs►Spotify: https://deccagold.lnk.to/ThisIsHisaishi►AppleMusic:Minimalism https:...

My recommendation that isn't so much aligned with your op would be World's End girlfriend. Well it kinda depends on the song.

youtu.be

world's end girlfriend / Plein Soleil / MUSIC VIDEO / from "LAST WALTZ"

Spotify_world's end girlfriend https://open.spotify.com/artist/3lqgWxgqJb19h62n19FKQpBandcamp https://virginbabylonrecords.bandcamp.com/album/last-waltzApple...

Last edited:

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
School Food Punishment's Amp-Reflection is hands-down one of the earwormiest albums you'll ever hear, even if you don't speak the language.

There's also Radwimps, which I would describe as willowy, yet high-energy indie rock/emo with frequent diversions into rap-rock, which turns out is something I'm extremely into given that I now own 7 of their albums.

Also, Envy just released their 7th album, The Fallen Crimson, a couple of months ago, if you ever wanted to check out their blend of screamo and post-rock.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only listen to shoegaze, and Japanese shoegaze is probably my favorite subgenre of that type. It's more pop sounding than regular shoegaze and has more cutesy sounding shit, is how I'd describe it. I'm not a music journalist, so I don't know how to accurately describe it.

Anyway, here's probably the most pop sounding Japanese shoegaze band, since I think you'd probably like the pop stuff more. They're called Plastic Girl in Closet:

This next song song was my most listened to song of 2019, according to Spotify. It's by a band called Seventeen Years Old and Berlin Wall. They're my favorite band that I discovered in 2019:

And this is last band is actually my favorite band of all time, and this song my favorite song of all time. The band is called Hartfield:

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I only listen to shoegaze, and Japanese shoegaze is probably my favorite subgenre of that type. It's more pop sounding than regular shoegaze and has more cutesy sounding shit, is how I'd describe it. I'm not a music journalist, so I don't know how to accurately describe it.

Anyway, here's probably the most pop sounding Japanese shoegaze band, since I think you'd probably like the pop stuff more. They're called Plastic Girl in Closet:

This next song song was my most listened to song of 2019, according to Spotify. It's by a band called Seventeen Years Old and Berlin Wall. They're my favorite band that I discovered in 2019:

And this is last band is actually my favorite band of all time, and this song my favorite song of all time. The band is called Hartfield:

If you didn't know already, Tokyo Shoegazer came back last year:

And Yuragi is amazing:

A few of us in the Japanese music thread listen to a lot of J Shoegaze, too! OP and more in this thread should stop by some time!

www.resetera.com

Japanese Music ERA |OT| OT

Hello! Welcome to the official Japanese music OT. This thread has been created to discuss all things Japanese music related regardless of genre. We hope you enjoy your stay here & find some great music along the way. Below are some playlists to help you get started if you are new to Japanese...

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Ryuichi Sakamoto and Shigeru Umebayashi are probably the two most internationally known Japanese film composers besides Joe Hisaishi

There's also Kenji Kawai, though he's more associated with anime

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you didn't know already, Tokyo Shoegazer came back last year:

And Yuragi is amazing:

A few of us in the Japanese music thread listen to a lot of J Shoegaze, too! OP and more in this thread should stop by some time!

www.resetera.com

Japanese Music ERA |OT| OT

Hello! Welcome to the official Japanese music OT. This thread has been created to discuss all things Japanese music related regardless of genre. We hope you enjoy your stay here & find some great music along the way. Below are some playlists to help you get started if you are new to Japanese...

Haha, yup I have both those bands in my Spotify library already. Both damn fine bands, too. I love the extra hard snare drum hit at 4:28 in this Yuragi song:

I've seriously listened to that song on loop on a few different occasions just for that snare drum hit.