• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I can not recommend the book "The Fifth Season" enough. It is the best book I've read in years. I need to read the other books in the series, but please do yourself a favor and dive into this one. If you're not sold right away, give it a little room to breathe. It's a gem and that author now is in my list of favs.

Not only is the prose interesting and well written, the setting and world building is unlike anything else I've read. An awesome story to actually lose yourself in. I read it last summer and now I'm getting nostalgic just remembering the times I spent lost to everything around me but that book.
I second this, and can say that the other books in the series are equally as engaging and dynamic.

Oct 27, 2017
Can y'all please define what you think "good prose" means? Especially those of you posting Sanderson and Hobb. Legit confused about that.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
91Byl0eP7bL.jpg

the-beautiful-thing-that-awaits-us-all-9781597805537_lg.jpg

The second one is horror but it's so good.

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
Priory of the Orange Tree was very refreshing, and it's a standalone epic by a woman author. Bad prose puts me off of a lot of popular fantasy but I don't recall having that issue with Priory at all

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
My top recommendations would be Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke, Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe, and then anything by Ursula K. Le Guin.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Loved Malazan, but they're dense as hell and they'll leave you behind if you miss anything.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just another post for N.K. Jemisin. I don't necessarily care for all of her work, but the first book of The Broken Earth trilogy, The Fifth Season, is phenomenally written.

mrchad

Oct 27, 2017
S. A. Chakraborty's Daevabad trilogy is another good one (well, the first two were good. The third is soon to be released.)

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

First thing I thought of. I absolutely love the Book of the New Sun series, but that first read was pretty daunting. I had to constantly look up words I didn't understand, which were all actual real life words that went out of use hundreds of years ago, and not made up for the novels. But Wolfe's writing style is so amazing, and made it easier to imagine the world he created.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I will recommend three authors.

The first is Patrick Rothfuss, author of The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. His prose is excellent, as is his world-building. Some people have issues with his characters, but I find them quite compelling. But continuing on with the prose, you can tell that this guy labors over every word and cadence right from the get go, in the prologue:

Yep, amzing novels.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle has some of the most beautiful prose you'll find in fantasy. But it's very different in tone and theme than a lot of fantasy that's popular nowadays.

Here are the first three paragraphs.

The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not know it, and she was no longer the careless color of sea foam, but rather the color of snow falling on a moonlit night. But her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea.

She did not look anything like a horned horse, as unicorns are often pictured, being smaller and cloven-hoofed, and possessing that oldest, wildest grace that horses have never had, that deer have only in a shy, thin imitation and goats in dancing mockery. Her neck was long and slender, making her head seem smaller than it was, and the mane that fell almost to the middle of her back was as soft as dandelion fluff and as fine as cirrus. She had pointed ears and thin legs, with feathers of white hair at the ankles; and the long horn above her eyes shone and shivered with its own seashell light even in the deepest midnight. She had killed dragons with it, and healed a king whose poisoned wound would not close, and knocked down ripe chestnuts for bear cubs.

Unicorns are immortal. It is their nature to live alone in one place: usually a forest where there is a pool clear enough for them to see themselves -- for they are a little vain, knowing themselves to be the most beautiful creatures in all the world, and magic besides. They mate very rarely, and no place is most enchanted than one where a unicorn has been born. The last time she had seen another unicorn the young virgins who still came seeking her now and then had called to her in a different tongue; but then, she had no idea of months and years and centuries, or even of seasons. It was always spring in her forest, because she lived there, and she wandered all day among the great beech trees, keeping watch over the animals that lived in the ground and under bushes, in nests and caves, earths and treetops. Generation after generation, wolves and rabbits alike, they hunted and loved and had children and died, and as the unicorn did none of these things, she never grew tired of watching them.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun has not only the best prose in fantasy, but some of the best prose in fiction in general. They are astonishingly good books.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure you've read them, but let's get the giants out:
Lord of the Rings, Tolkien
A Song Of Ice And Fire, Martin

Then go on to Discworld. Terry Pratchett is a treasure, and it only gets better and better and better.
Guards! Guards! is a good starting point - you don't really need to start with The Color of Magic \ The Light Fantastic, albeit the titles themselves should inform the quality of what you're going to be embarking on!

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anything by Guy Gavriel Kay. I'd start with Tigana.

If you want absolutely the best lyrical style of prose, read Patricia McKillip as well. How about Alphabet of Thorns, or Od Magic? The Riddlemaster trilogy is amazing as well.

Ah, a Tigana reference. Guy is one of my favorites, and Tigana is near perfection. NK is great too.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
The Wizard Knight books by Gene Wolfe. Pay no heed to the title, Wolfe is a master and no one since Tolkien compares to him.

Guy Gavriel Kay is another master fantasy writer. His stories are occasionally a little too cloying for my taste, but when he hits there's almost nothing like it. Under Heaven is my favorite.
Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun has not only the best prose in fantasy, but some of the best prose in fiction in general. They are astonishingly good books.
I will second this, with the pedantic caveat that BOTNS is more sci-fi than fantasy. Either way, you can't go wrong with Wolfe.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Vlad Taltos by Steven Brust, so far there are 15 novels in the series. In a series that long the quality will dip at times but I liked the first couple of books.

The Black Company by Glen Cook. I've read that this is the series that inspired all the dark fantasy that's gotten so popular in the last 15 years. The novels follow a mercenary company over a couple of decades.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I will second this, with the pedantic caveat that BOTNS is more sci-fi than fantasy. Either way, you can't go wrong with Wolfe.
I agree, though I will respond with the caveat that many people do not realize it is Sci Fi until much later on. I generally tell people it is fantasy for this reason.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
My first though is Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicle. He's praised for his prose, but be aware that fans have been waiting for the third book for 9 years.

SimplyJah

Oct 25, 2017
And the Acts of Caine tetralogy from Matthew Stover (first book is "Heroes Die").

My man. These books are some of my favorite of all time, I think they are criminally underappreciated. My First experience with Matt Stover was the Blade of Tyshalle, and I think i've read the entire set 3 times now? Wait a year or 2 and they're golden again. Could not recommend them more, and I'm stoked to see them pop up here. the Acts of Caine seem to fly under most people's radar.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
My man. These books are some of my favorite of all time, I think they are criminally underappreciated. My First experience with Matt Stover was the Blade of Tyshalle, and I think i've read the entire set 3 times now? Wait a year or 2 and they're golden again. Could not recommend them more, and I'm stoked to see them pop up here. the Acts of Caine seem to fly under most people's radar.

I actually wrote Stover a gushing mail after finishing them, which I never ever do :)
These books deserve way more recognition.

May 15, 2018
Denmark
Can y'all please define what you think "good prose" means? Especially those of you posting Sanderson and Hobb. Legit confused about that.
Maybe you can tell us what you found faulty with their writing styles?
I find the description of the inner life of Hobb's characters very convincing so that might be what I'm thinking of. She can be a bit wordy but that just seems realistic to me since my mind is going on all the time. ;-)
To give an example from the books, I remember a particular section where a character's mind has fused with an animal that really wowed me.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Bumping this to thank the people that mentioned the broken earth trilogy. I just consumed it all over the past week and was enthralled by it.

Just absolutely amazing world building that sucked me in from the start. It reminded me of horizon ZD in so many ways, both in my addiction to finding out what happened and in themes.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Bumping this to thank the people that mentioned the broken earth trilogy. I just consumed it all over the past week and was enthralled by it.

Just absolutely amazing world building that sucked me in from the start. It reminded me of horizon ZD in so many ways, both in my addiction to finding out what happened and in themes.
Now read Nora's Inheritance trilogy and the Dreamblood dualogy. You won't regret it.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Now read Nora's Inheritance trilogy and the Dreamblood dualogy. You won't regret it.

Just bought inheritance.

Now I'm feeling guilty though. I just remembered I own 6 Malazan books IRL and yet have only read 3 years ago and stopped. I wonder if I should attempt to tackle those again while I'm in this reading high.

Theyre just so fucking dense but I remember that the second and third had some of the most epic things I've ever read. Does anyone know a good wiki for I can follow for that series?

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pat Rothfuss may write poor characters and mediocre stories... but the prose is amazing.

read through his main books and a slow regard for silent things and you will not be disappointed.

...except in the story and characters, but the writing is almost poetic.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Malazan book of the fallen is incredible if you want well written fantasy. The world can just be really dense to get into.

Some people here hate on Sanderson, but Stormlight Archives is really well written. So are the second era mistborn books.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone looking to read Malazan. This article is a good primer.

www.tor.com

A Beginner's Guide to Malazan Characters: Gardens of the Moon - Reactor

I’ll be honest: I’m one of the people who initially fell flat on my face the first time I tried to read Gardens of the Moon. The sheer number of new characters leaves many readers thumbing through the earlier chapters again and again, muttering all the while about maybe having missed something...

I would avoid going to the wikki, you are going to spoil yourself.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Malazan book of the fallen is incredible if you want well written fantasy. The world can just be really dense to get into.

Some people here hate on Sanderson, but Stormlight Archives is really well written. So are the second era mistborn books.
Hard disagree on malazan. Terrible chore to read through and the payoff just isnt worth it. Series could have easily dropped several books and been better off for it

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Hard disagree on malazan. Terrible chore to read through and the payoff just isnt worth it. Series could have easily dropped several books and been better off for it

Yea I can see how it can be really hard to get into. Switching characters every book doesn't really do it any favors. I love the diverse cast though.

Oct 27, 2017
The Name of the Wind has some of the best prose I've ever read.

The 3rd book has not come out, it's been 9 years, and who knows how much longer it will take. Despite that, I'd STILL recommend reading The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear because of how well written they are. They have incredible depth.

It's so good.

Yep. Massive fan of both books, I think they're really well written. I don't get the negativity around his characters, I think they're really well drawn. I might go and read them again now. Wish Doors of Stone would come out soon to complete the trilogy.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
china mievelle's bas laag series, though it's not ya traditional fantasy (kinda steam punk, 'new weird' trappings)
great prose though
Hah, first reply gets it. First author that came to my mind too. Robin Hobb has some nice prose sometimes too.

I'd also recommend The Vorrh, a sort of weird colonial African fantasy that has a really interesting and unique tone.

41iOsRH8HqL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Wiggle

Nov 25, 2019
Despite the third book not being out, The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss are beautifully written books, and I strongly recommend them.

Fractology

Oct 28, 2017
I am already grabbing The Fifth Season due to all of the recommendations here. Thanks folks! Discworld has long been one of my favorite series—even going so far as to influence my worldview.

I'll also pick up Jonathan Strange. Been meaning to but I kept forgetting the name.

Is it against the rules to bump this thread and check up on if you started reading any of these? I had a thought about this thread earlier and wanted to hear if the OP has any early impressions or thoughts if they did indeed check some of these out. Regardless, I hope you still have the time to enjoy a good read, Doc!