• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I'm going to buy a ps2 in the near future , I'm planning on getting Digital Devil saga 1 and 2 , Nocturne and Raidou Kuzunoha.

Aside from those , can you guys recommend any more good ps2 games , especially rpgs.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to buy a ps2 in the near future , I'm planning on getting Digital Devil saga 1 and 2 , Nocturne and Raidou Kuzunoha.

Aside from those , can you guys recommend any more good ps2 games , especially rpgs.

No, I recommend you Ace combat V and Zero.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
ps2_scarface_thumb.jpg

I don't even like Scarface and this open world masterpiece is so so so so good.

There's a straight up timing game called Balls where if you hit the right spot you can get rid of your wanted level. It's fucking awesome and holds up way the hell better than it should. I'd tell you about the mid game twist but it's worth it to see it for yourself.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Bujingai Swordmaster
Onimusha 4
Shinobi
Chaos Legion
Otogi
Crimson Sea
Ninja Gaiden
Burnouts
SSX

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
From my shelf: Disgaea, Disgaea 2, Magnacarta, La Pucelle Tactics, Makai Kingdom, Suikoden Tactics, Legaia 2, Wild Arms 3, Gregory Horror Show.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Way of the Samurai is a great action-adventure with open-ended design giving it branching story paths.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Dragon Quest VIII
Persona 3 FES
Katamari Damacy
Mr Mosquito
Guitaroo Man
Metal Gear Solid 3 (or just get the 1+2+3 box set)
Final Fantasy X
Kingdom Hearts
Shadow Hearts
Capcom vs SNK2: Mark of the Millennium

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Some of the good RPGs you can play somehow on PS4.

All FFs
Rogue Galaxy
Star Ocean 3
Dark Cloud/Chronicle

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 1 & 2. Yeah I know remakes exist, but especially with 2 there's enough different content on display that its worth to play both.

Capcom has ported quite a few of its games, but stuff like Crimson Tears, Godhand, Resident Evil Survivor 4 (well I liked it...), Chaos Legion, Under the Skin (and more I'm surely forgetting) are worth tracking down. Oh, and Capcom Fighting Evolution, well maybe avoid that one.
Viewtiful Joe 1&2 and Killer 7 also are absolutely worth getting, but if you have a Gamecube just get them on that instead (or PC for K7) as the ports are better than the PS2 ones.

Forbidden Siren 1 and 2 for sure. Best survival horror games on the system.

Blood Will Tell was a pretty great action game I thought, so that.

Urban Reign absolutely is worth tracking down. Its a Namco brawler that has hints of Tekken in it, once you nail the counter system in that game its amazing. Can't recommend it enough.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I can't go into a PS2 thread without mentioning the Burnout series (3 is the best) and SSX 3.

If you're talking about RPGs though, Dark Cloud 1 & 2 are worth looking at.

Mar 30, 2019
Dragon Quest 8, Final Fantasy X, Persona 4. Just to get some heavy hitters out of the way. (Unless you already played them)

I also recommend Ico, Gradius V, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Fatal Frame (any I guess), Silent Hill 2, and Katamari Damacy for starters. Whew! I hope that's enough.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017

Shadow Hearts & Shadow Hearts Covenant.

Play the first, and then experience the amazing sequel that is Covenant.

Both are JRPGs, but the story was based on real history with some fictions I guess.

Mar 30, 2019
Are you into tactics type games? Disgaea, La Pucelle, Ring of Red, and Front Mission are notable games. Well, Ring of Red is more involved with combat beyond the tactics, and can be dated looking.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gundam encounters in space
Samurai champloo
ape escape 2 and 3
if you can import
Another century 1-3

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I assume this won't be a modded PS2? Otherwise I'd HIGHLY recommend Dragon Quest V and Fortune Street Special with the fan translations (the latter being a bit of a self plug lol)

Amakuni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Games that havent already been mentioned

Suikoden 3 and 5 (not 4, it sucks)
Ribbit king
Amplitude

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
My recommendations:

-Xenosaga 1-3. The 3rd game is one of my favorite RPGs.

-Dark Cloud 2. Massive rpg with town building and lots of side activities. Beautiful graphics and music.

-Suikoden 5 - my fave in the series after 2. Gather 108 ppl and build a base. Fast paced battles and lots of fun stuff to do.

-Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. The last BOF game and a weird but good one. 3 party members in an underground world where you play the game in cycles to reveal more of the story.

-Katamari Damacy - the original and still the best ball rolling game ever.

-Burnout 3: Takedown one of the best arcade racing games ever

-Ratchet and Clank. Both Goin Commando and Up Your Arsenal. Pure fun weapon based plat fitness with lots of content

-SSX3 still my favorite snowboarding game and I dont like these types of games. Fun arcade action and again lots of content

Do you have access to newer systems? If not, there are a lot more I would recommend that have been re-released since on newer systems with upgrades.

But I fully recommend everything I listed. I own and love them all !

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The PS2 is the king of consoles for (J) RPG's. There's so many good games you can play, though I imagine some/most of these you might already have.

Final Fantasy X, XII
Persona 3, 4
Dragon Quest 8
Dark Cloud 1, 2
Rogue Galaxy
Shadow Hearts 1, 2 (ignore 3)
The Xenosaga games
Suikoden games
Tales of the Abyss

There's SO many more !

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
The Best RPG on the PS2

37377-shadow-hearts-covenant-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

Stellar story with a WW1-Europe alt history backdrop, some music by Yasunori Mitsuda, great battle system and graphics. This game has no weakness.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017

Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria

I'm playing it right now and loving it, just like VP1 the battle system is pretty unique for the genre.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Im not too well versed in rpgs, but if you ask me in general:
Burnout 3
Burnout Revenge
SSX Tricky
SSX 3
God of War, God of War 2
Gran Turismo 4
GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas
Ratchet 1, Going Commando, Up your arsenal
Ico, Shadow of the Colossus

Just a bunch off the top of my head.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
My top RPGs on the system are Suikoden V, Tales of the Abyss, Valkyrie Profile 2, Wild Arms 5, and Radiata Stories.

Wild Arms 3 and Star Ocean 3 are good, but I'd recommend the PS4 ports instead. Odin Sphere is a fantastic game, but the PS4 remaster is even better.

TheOneJat

Oct 1, 2018
I really enjoyed Lord of the Rings: The Third Age on PS2 and it's really cheap as far as RPGs go. I liked the first Magna Carta game too.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on what you are already interested in, I say get Eternal Poison, the three Shadow Hearts games, and Nightmare of Druaga. Also Baroque

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Silent Hill 2 is in my (and many others) opinion the greatest video game ever made, so if you haven't played it yet I'd prioritise that one.