• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't sure if I should post this in Gaming or Etcetera, but decided to put it here.
I love the setting of a small town or resort town where something mysterious is going on, with some outsider coming in and getting wrapped up in whatever is lurking there, with a slight horror twist. I just love the vibe. Help me Era, what else is there?

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Gravity Falls and Life is Strange. Both are very obviously inspired by Twin Peaks, but are very enjoyable.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Kentucky Route Zero and Deadly Premonition are the only two I can think of. DP is kind of weird and not very good though. Kentucky does it best.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Higurashi also counts I guess? It's nothing like Twin Peaks, but it fits the criteria of "new person moves into small village and mysterious stuff happens".

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Are you open to anime? Summertime Rendering is similar and very good so far. Probably won't have official subs for a while due to Disney Plus, unfortunately. Plot is hard to describe without spoilers but it connects to the same vein of "small town with some really weird, dark stuff going on."

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
X-Files: Resist or Serve - had to mention this as I just watched the whole playthrough of it on youtube as part of the series marathon.
Castle Rock

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
For games: Thimbleweed Park and like others I'd highly recommend Deadly premonition. The combat is bad but the atmosphere in the town and the chats with the townsfolk is so reminiscent of Twin Peaks in a good way. I'd also classify Disco Elysium in that same vein.
Movies: the wailing

Edit: Gravity Falls is also a reallly good shout.

Sam Bridges

May 3, 2022
Control would be your obvious first stop if you're big on Alan Wake, especially since there is a... connection between the two, which is all I could say without spoiling anything

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I'm gonna be alone on this one but the movie Identity gave me that kind of vibe. I think it's a bit underrated.

OP
OP
Seijuro

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Wayward Pines book series by Blake crouch
Thanks, I see there's only 3 books, so it should be manageable. Are they very different from the show?

Are you open to anime? Summertime Rendering is similar and very good so far. Probably won't have official subs for a while due to Disney Plus, unfortunately. Plot is hard to describe without spoilers but it connects to the same vein of "small town with some really weird, dark stuff going on."
I honestly haven't thought about anime at all, but I'll take a look.

deadline.com

Alfred Molina To Star In Amazon Police Drama Series ‘Three Pines’ From ‘The Crown’ Producer Left Bank

Alfred Molina is to star in Amazon police drama series Three Pines, which comes from The Crown producer Left Bank Pictures.

Coming soon, sounds like it is pretty similar to what you're after. Heard good things.
Yeah it sounds pretty good, thanks!

Control would be your obvious first stop if you're big on Alan Wake, especially since there is a... connection between the two, which is all I could say without spoiling anything
I claimed it last year from PS+, maybe I should give it a try. I literally forget about the game unless I read about it here, I don't know why.

phranc

Nov 13, 2017
Days Gone and Until Dawn take place in the pacific north west. That's about the extent of the similarities.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Doesnt exactly match your criteria, as it's missing the supernatural angle and is basically a police procedural/dramatization of a real life series of murders, but Bong Joon-ho's Memories of Murder, beyond just being a stellar film, revolves in part around a detective from the big city whose sent to a countryside town to investigate a potential serial killer.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Control is basically a mixture of Twin Peaks and X-Files. Alan Wake is obviously much more overtly inspired by Twin Peaks with all of its homages, but Sam Lake is a huge fan of Twin Peaks (and Lynch in general) so that TP influence is also very evident in Control as well.

I'd also throw in Disco Elysium in the mix, though it's not really inspired by Twin Peaks as far as I can tell. It's just that it has the "detective in a town figuring out the weird shit that's happening" vibe that you're looking for.

Also as far as shows go, True Detective S1 is fantastic and has some occult themes to it that make you want to keep watching to see what happens. Stranger Things as well if you haven't seen it.

OP
OP
Seijuro

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Since it's recommended a few times - what's the best way to play Deadly Premonition today?

Midnight Mass for a tv show is a must watch,

Doesnt exactly match your criteria, as it's missing the supernatural angle and is basically a police procedural/dramatization of a real life series of murders, but Bong Joon-ho's Memories of Murder, beyond just being a stellar film, revolves in part around a detective from the big city whose sent to a countryside town to investigate a potential serial killer.
Thanks, I already seen and loved those.

Sam Bridges

May 3, 2022
I claimed it last year from PS+, maybe I should give it a try. I literally forget about the game unless I read about it here, I don't know why.

You really should jump on that. Not only will it satisfy the entertainment niche you're currently craving, it's also easily Remedy's best game, stunningly beautiful, incredibly atmospheric, and genuinely thrilling gameplay. It'll twist your mind into a pretzel in all the best ways, just like Alan Wake.

Oct 27, 2017
The X-Files got the format down to a science. Especially in the early seasons when it was filmed in Vancouver (standing in for various mid-west towns).

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since it's recommended a few times - what's the best way to play Deadly Premonition today?

I think the Switch version works with less crashes. The PC version crashed all the time on me. But also make sure you have a full map of the town and possibly even a guide on you. The map is necessary.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Black Spot(aka Zone Blanche), one of the best things Netflix has released.

www.youtube.com

Zone Blanche

Fun Fact: Netflix is so bad at advertising that there isn't even an English language trailer on youtube.

edit: American Gothic and Riverdale for two more television shows.

And for a non-supernatural version, Bates Motel.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019
I saw Ingmar Bergman's Hour of the Wolf recently and parts of it definitely reminded me of the Black Lodge sequences. I wouldn't be surprised if it was an influence.

edit: I guess nobody else is old enough to remember Northern Exposure 😂

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Gravity Falls and Life is Strange. Both are very obviously inspired by Twin Peaks, but are very enjoyable.

I would 100% agree with these 2 picks.

The big problem with Control is you're basically in a big office building most of the game, I don't feel the same atmosphere in Control that I do with Wake.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Carnivale
Dark is great, but I it's very different I think than Twib Peaks
American Gothic was good but it was cancelled early

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
American Gothic is basically a more homely Twin Peaks that leans harder into the supernatural. Was prematurely canceled but what's there is memorable.

Xbox for the original look and game balance, or Switch for the Director's Cut. PC with patch looks best but is too unstable to recommend over the others.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
The first season of Riverdale is very much Twin Peaks inspired.

Do not bother after that.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
The Prisoner
1968 British TV show about a government agent that tries to quit but gets abducted and put in a strange village where no one is allowed to leave.

You can watch it free on Tubi