• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Please.

There's something happenkng in my life right now which I don't want to talk about. But I have been watching a Silent Hill 2 Stream (from Streamer Threedogg) and now I feel like playing a game with a similar message or theme about loss I suppose.

I would really appreciate some recommendations. I play on PS4 and Switch, but also have a PS2, Gamecube and PSclassic with Bleemsync.

xoxoclvbs

Aug 1, 2020
There are great games about loss, and you should follow other commenters' suggestions for them.

But, something about your post makes me want to recommend Celeste, which is not really about loss directly... so include that in the rotation if you haven't already played it.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
If Found... and Florence, though they're both ultimately more uplifting than Silent Hill 2.

I hope you're okay, OP.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
www.syfy.com

5 games that help us deal with losing our loved ones

Losing a loved one is one of the hardest things to go through. After saying goodbye to my grandfather in June, I came to know this well, especially as I wasn't able to give him a proper sendoff in person. I grieved for days, but I was forced to get back into the daily grind as soon as humanly...

Whatever you're going through, know that you're not alone and that you'll always have a shoulder to cry on.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely therapeutic to experience that through media, just try not to over do it. I do the same thing, with all sorts of media, here's some examples off the top of my head.

• Night in the Woods
  • Celeste
  • JJ Macfield
  • LISA the Painful RPG
  • Death Stranding
  • Days Gone
  • Souls games are definitely isolating and kinda masochistic. When I'm alone or have suffered loss, I personally gravitate to games that are lonely (no party)
  • Yakuza 0
  • Mother 3

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Mother 3 is completely built around loss and change. Your loved ones, the town you live in, and the people you know.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Two of my favorites are To the Moon (Switch) and What Remains of Edith Finch.

Oct 24, 2019
I really want to play this but man... having read about it, I just don't think I can. As a dad of a young daughter, I can barely make it through the first few scenes of First Man.

Yeah I've heard amazing things about the game but I haven't been able to bring myself to play it yet. I'm almost never in the mood to seek out something that will make me even more depressed lol

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I would recommend The Darkness 2 but I don't know as if you can play it on any of those consoles.

It's really good and it destroyed me emotionally which I wasn't expecting at all.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Eternal Sonata's final segment does an infamously sudden sharp turn into dealing with Loss, notably during the credits.

Here's a direct link to them if you want to take a look.

www.youtube.com

Eternal sonata : part 70 : Ending (Full scene)

Walkthrough #3Credits end at 18:12 if you want to skip the credits and go right to the scene.Well this was fun guys from here on i will be continuing on ...

Also the segments in Lost Odyssey with Lirum are handled wonderfully and dealing with Loss

www.youtube.com

Lost Odyssey: Lirum's Miracle

Another favorite scene of mine. This is a quite emotional one and the music is so beautifully haunting as well.Hope you enjoy!English Cast:Kaim Argonar: Keit...

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
how am I supposed to mark it without revealing which game title is under there? I'm open to suggestions lol
This might not be the thread to talk about games like that, where the fact that it has a loss theme is kind of a spoiler in itself.

I've already played that game, and maybe it's old enough that no one will care about the spoiler! Just pointing out that unmarked spoilers are no fun in general.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
What Remains of Edith Finch is a really perfect candidate, as has been stated, OP. It's certainly about death and loss, but it's amazingly done in a way that is uplifting and not depressing. It's just an excellent game all around, high recommend.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
What Remains of Edith Finch or Everyone's Gone to the Rapture. Both excellent games if you don't mind slow-paced, story-driven walking simulator experiences.

Highly recommend both of them, and I played them both on PS4.

Hope everything is ok.

Jul 4, 2018
Spiritfarer is a terrific, uplifting and empathetic game about loss

OP, not to shit on other peoples posts, but there's a number of people here who are just posting action games that revel in violence and murder and you might need something now that doesnt plummet your stomach like Silent Hill does.

Spiritfarer on Steam is a great game to help you deal with loss.

There's a demo available too if you want to try it out first.

^^^

Last edited:

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
I would say Final Fantasy Adventure, on Game Boy (or the Adventures of Mana remake on IOS, Sword of mana on GBA or one of the other 1 billion remakes this game has)
You can find it on the collection of mana for the Nintendo Switch.
It is amazing, really, one of my favorites.

Almost all of the games on the Mana series deals with loss in some degree, they are pretty good.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
61BXnD1IQnL._SY445_.jpg

Oct 24, 2019
This might not be the thread to talk about games like that, where the fact that it has a loss theme is kind of a spoiler in itself.

I've already played that game, and maybe it's old enough that no one will care about the spoiler! Just pointing out that unmarked spoilers are no fun in general.

Fair enough!

I put those recommendations there with the OP specifically in mind though, because I assume they won't mind being spoiled that a particular game has loss as a theme if that fulfills the type of game they want to play right now.

I put a general spoiler to prevent other people from just getting casually spoiled as they scroll, but it's on them to click at their own risk! Haha