• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheeFanatic

Oct 26, 2017
The dirty dozen
The ten commandments
War of the Worlds
Gone with the wind
Blackbeards ghost
The exorcist
Planet of the apes
Ben hur
Midway
Tora tora Tora
Godzilla
Most Clint Eastwood westerns
The birds
The incredible shrinking man
Jaws
Close encounters of the third kind
Fantastic voyage
Night of the living dead
The warriors
I co sign this movie. I totally forgot about this movie when I made my small list. This movie is great.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
The Conformist (1970)

It's just full of incredible shot after incredible shot.

f347ae69147feba98afec7743804d75c.png

conformist2.jpg

DM2bkBtUMAITvdM.jpg

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
pov.jpg

Planet of the Vampires(1965), if you want a great old school sci-fi horror film. Bonus points for getting ripped-off by Scott and O'Bannon for Alien.

messagefromspace.jpg

Message from Space(1978), if you want the craziest and best movie that was trying oh so hard to capitalize on the success of Star Wars. Just look at baby Hiroyuki Sanada back there!

40guns.jpg

40 Guns(1957) if you want to see Samuel Fuller just going for it. So many amazing shots and moments in the film: 50 year old Barbara Stanwyck doing her own stunts, including a very dangerous 'getting dragged by her horse' bit(she became an honorary member of the Stuntmen Hall of Fame!). Camera in the barrel of a gun ala James Bond, Fuller and 40 Guns did it. Intense close up of the eyes ala Leone, Fuller and 40 Guns did it. When you start watching the good "old" westerns you start to realize that the spaghetti westerns didn't really bring much of anything to the genre except for blood.

edit: Found a great review of Message from Space that gets to the heart of its greatness -

It honours no structural logic that I can discern, though it does have a kinetic kid-logic, the kind honed from endless summer afternoons tromping around with your buddies, making shit up and being happier than you'll ever be again in your life.

But I can say that Message from Space is crazy-energetic and has more delightful moments packed into it than a dozen "normal" movies. I also wouldn't underestimate its influence on a generation of kids Star Wars-hungry during that three-year gap between the first film and The Empire Strikes Back. Herein, find the source of Will Ferrell's Ron Burgundy at least, and, incidentally, the better version of Mel Brooks's Spaceballs (and Stewart Raffill's The Ice Pirates).

Whatever the case, Message from Space is brilliant, and in addition to being consistently entertaining, it's the equivalent of the French New Wave's critique/redux of American genre cinema. It's a stirring, unpretentious farce that clarifies everything that's stupid about Star Wars (and there was a lot, let's face it) while actually predicting the Yoda character and the entire ending of Return of the Jedi, among various other plot points from future Star Wars pictures.

www.filmfreakcentral.net

Message from Space (1978) - DVD - FILM FREAK CENTRAL

***/**** Image C+ Sound C- Extras C Madness A starring Vic Morrow, Sonny Chiba, Philip Casnoff, Peggy Lee Brennan screenplay by Hiroo Matsuda directed by Kinji Fukasaku by Walter Chaw Essentially a big-budget, feature-film version of Calvinball if Bill Watterson were a manga artist undergoing a...

Last edited:

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I could give hundreds but just my top 10 or so...

Solaris
Samurai Rebellion
Make Way for Tomorrow
My Life to Live
Scenes from a Marriage
City Lights
Casablanca
The Leopard
Le Trou'
Sunset Boulevard

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Off the top of my head:

Blow Up
Nights of Cabiria
Stalker
The Conversation
8 1/2
Midnight Cowboy
All That Jazz

Nights of Cabiria, 8 1/2 and Stalker are currently on the Criterion channel. All of the rest are in the Criterion collection.

Edit: The Conversation isn't don't know why I forgot.

Last edited:

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most recent film I've seen that came out before 1980 was Marathon Man and it was incredible.
I always thought the "is it safe" scene was the best part of the movie, but the white angel walking down the diamond district and Doc getting attacked in his hotel is some brilliant filmmaking.
the dentist scene alway fucked me up

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Jaws
Breaking Away
Bad News Bears
The Graduate
Dawn of the Dead and Night

Some of my favs.

Branaghs

Oct 27, 2017

Harikiri. It was recommended from someone here on Era and I can't thank them enough. This movie is amazing, and I hear the remake isn't that bad at all. Do yourself a favor and watch this film.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Also, Fantastic Planet
Its an animated movie but regardless after watching you will wonder how the fuck you went your whole life without seeing it.

www.rottentomatoes.com

Fantastic Planet

This animated tale follows the relationship between the small human-like Oms and their much larger blue-skinned oppressors, the Draags, who rule the planet of Ygam. While the Draags have long kept Oms as illiterate pets, this hierarchy shifts after an Om boy becomes educated, thanks to a young...

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dr strangelove, which feels more on point every day. Honestly I think it's funnier today especially during a crisis after a post Trump administration

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Thief of Bagdad

sosL6SK.jpg

Specifically the 1940 colour one starring Conrad Veidt and Sabu (not the earlier silent version, though that's decent). Simply one of the greatest fantasy movies ever made