• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which would you choose?

• Final Fantasy 9

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • The Last Remnant

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Valkyrie Profile

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Disgaea

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping to find FF8, but it's not there (booo!). I might try FF9 again, but before I do I want to know if there's anything else out there that I be more interested in. I have played all the mainline FF games available on the platform.

I've played The World Ends With You, original and Solo Remix.

Turn based would be preferable, but I'll take a look at anything!

Cheers for any suggestions!

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
FF9 is great. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is great.

Romancing Saga 2 and 3 are great.

Those would be my immediate recs.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be playing on my iPad pro btw, if that makes a difference to suggestions.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
I would get any Dragon Quest game from I to VI, especially IV which is commonly regarded as the best version of that game due to Party Chat. I hear VIII works well on iPads.

xii_7

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020

AS great as this game is, just be aware that it still hasn't been updated for the bigger iPhone X screens. The text is so small that I find it too hard to enjoy and haven't played it since I bought it. I don't know why they can't updated it. It costs $12 ffs.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Valkyrie Profile.
Hell, most of the Square-Enix games on iOS are a safe bet.
This game has always intrigued me, the gameplay looks great.

I read it can be a little awkward on mobile, is this a big issue? How would you say the story compares to FF9, is it as engaging?

mrjohill

Oct 25, 2017
I played it on 3ds but monster hunter stories is on there

edit: oh wow the last remnant is on there too lol

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Dragon Quest 4 and 5 - if you have not played them - are amazing. 5 is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. And 4 on Ios has the party chat that the DS versions of the game did not include so it may even be the definitive version in the west.

If you like old school, 90s PC era style RPGs, Dungeons of Chaos is great and has a metric ton of content. It's very old school though, but I love it.

Tower of Fortune 1/2/3 are Gameboy looking adventure games where you use a slot machine mechanic to do battles. It's a really weird thing, but the games are a lot of fun and I never see them talked about.

Final Fantasy Dimensions 1 - have you played this? I've played a few hours and it is like a FF4 type game (the SNES one) and seems pretty good.

Another Eden has music by Yasunori Mitsuda and is a time travelling RPG. It is way better than it has any right to be. Look up some videos - I've had a good time with it and played about half the game.

The Quest HD : First person old school RPG set in a huge fantasy world. It's got a lot of content, big overworld to explore with lots of dungeons and cities etc. It's turn based. Very good game

Siralim 3 : This is another old school sensibilities RPG that also has monster catching/levelling in it. The game has Disgaea levels of customization and content. Hundreds of hours probably. It looks very basic and plain but the actual game is very very fun.

Sorry for the random ass suggestions. There aren't a ton of classic turn based RPGs that I have found on Ios that are like FF and Dragon Quest. But I've had fun with everything I listed above. Hope you find something!

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
This game has always intrigued me, the gameplay looks great.

I read it can be a little awkward on mobile, is this a big issue? How would you say the story compares to FF9, is it as engaging?

Yeah, it obviously doesn't control as well on mobile as it does on a console, and since there's some precision platforming here and there, it can be annoying, but it's playable, I'd say.
Story-wise the game shines in character background stories, but the overarching plot isn't super interesting.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know you could pair an xbox pad with iPad, this is awesome! It does suck that VP doesn't support controllers or that would be an instant buy now.

Taking a look through all the suggestions so far that I haven't played already.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's a tie between:

FF9
Valkyrie Profile
Last Remnant

Premium game prices so I want to be sure before I buy.

Which of these do you think has the best combat? I know they're all very different, but this might be what swings it for me. I'm in the mood to really get stuck into an RPG combat system. Grinding is something I enjoy too.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy Tactics

The Quest -- this one has actually been on iOS for over 10 years and has had a shitload of content added to it over the years.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
If you enjoy a grind, have you considered Disgaea? It also has controller support, and is arguably the definitive version of the game with the addition of auto battling for some good mindless grinding on easier battles.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
All the Dragon Quest games are great games, you should try them. I would stay away from Valkyrie Profile without controller support tbh.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you enjoy a grind, have you considered Disgaea? It also has controller support, and is arguably the definitive version of the game with the addition of auto battling for some good mindless grinding on easier battles.
Goddamn it... thanks for making it more complicated!

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
I played it on 3ds but monster hunter stories is on there

edit: oh wow the last remnant is on there too lol

If MStories piques your interest, there's a free demo that you can download. It's the first couple of hours of the full game, and the save data will carry over to the full game where you can continue.

Search is a bit a weird for the demo. You'll have to enter "MHST" as your search keyword for the demo.

Or simply click here :)
apps.apple.com

‎MHST The Adventure Begins

‎Please read the section "Important Notes" before purchasing or using this app. This app has no in-app purchases! After playing this app, you can import your save data into “Monster Hunter Stories” (paid version) to continue the story. However, please be aware that for this free version, you...

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
The previous recommended Planescape is great, but playing it on a phone might be a bit difficult. Valkyrie profile is also a truly excellent game.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Siralim 3 : This is another old school sensibilities RPG that also has monster catching/levelling in it. The game has Disgaea levels of customization and content. Hundreds of hours probably. It looks very basic and plain but the actual game is very very fun.
Siralim 3 is amazing and is a must play. It's also probably cheaper than all those you mentioned. The game has a lot of heart, and like a thousand different ways to play.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
To continue making this more complicated -

SaGa Scarlet Grace is a game that gets a lot of high praise on this forum. Here's a recent LTTP where you can see some of the praise. You want turn based, I suggest this.

After that, I recommend The Last Remnant. I recently bought the remastered version on PS4 and enjoyed it for a while (didn't beat it, but that's just my life lol). It's basically a big budget SaGa styled RPG.

Valkyrie Profile is one of my favorite games ever. I have the mobile version but haven't played it much, it's not very enjoyable unless you play with a controller in my opinion.

FFIX is my favorite FF, but I thought you said in your OP you had played them all?