• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
I'm looking to get a new headset because my Playstation Gold headphones, that I've been using for my PC the last three years, doesn't really have a great mic. I've been fine with sounding like I'm talking from the bottom of a well when playing CoD or OW with my friends, but I need a better quality mic while I'm talking to people at work.

I was thinking about getting the Logictech G Pro X

But honestly I've been burned by Logitech-- their G930 headset came with a defect where it would constantly disconnect from the wireless receiver dropping audio and voice.

How do you guys feel about the SteelSeries headsets? Open to any suggestions. Looking for great audio and mic quality anywhere between 100 - 150 dollars.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Audio-Technica has great microphones. They also produce gaming headsets. I can attest to this, because I own an Audio-Technica gaming headset from the yesteryear's PAX EAST 2018. I'm using that as my primary WFH conference call mic headset.

Oct 28, 2017
Recorded this with my Astro A40's. Probably a good idea for people to reply with a recording of their voice via their headset if they ain't shit, or perhaps you should listen to YouTube reviews for specific headsets that record the review using the headset mic.

Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

Vocaroo is a quick and easy way to share voice messages over the interwebs.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I have the Sennheiser Game One, also sold on Massdrop as the PC37X.

Probably has one of the best headset mics I've seen and the sound is good, keep it mind though they are open back.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I've tried a lot of headsets on my PS4 and nothing comes close to the mic quality of the turtle beach 50P which also happens to be the cheapest I've tried. Wireless headsets like the Gold and steelseries arctis 7 have terrible mics.

OP
OP
Stryder

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Recorded this with my Astro A40's. Probably a good idea for people to reply with a recording of their voice via their headset if they ain't shit, or perhaps you should listen to YouTube reviews for specific headsets that record the review using the headset mic.

Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

Vocaroo is a quick and easy way to share voice messages over the interwebs.

Sounds good to me, and it looks like Astro A40 only comes at $120 on amazon. Going to be considering this for sure.

That being said I do have a preference for wireless over wired.

Going to look at Sennheiser and Audio-Technica aswell, to see what their wireless headphones are priced at and their reviews.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Yes I was looking at these since they fit my price range and are wireless but after watching a review... the mic doesn't seem to be at the best quality

I do like how it looks and people seem to like the audio quality.

I would just be careful with whatever you buy. Make sure it's comfortable. I wear this headset, no joke, 5-7 hours a day - no issues.

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds good to me, and it looks like Astro A40 only comes at $120 on amazon. Going to be considering this for sure.

That being said I do have a preference for wireless over wired.

Going to look at Sennheiser and Audio-Technica aswell, to see what their wireless headphones are priced at and their reviews.

The pops you hear are probably just because my mic is pretty close to my mouth, but yeah, mic is real good on it, for a headset. Usually they skimp on the mic quality so you end up with something that sounds like you're in Jeffrey Dahmer's cellar.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I'm using the Sennheiser GSP 670. I like that you can connect it to your phone using Bluetooth and PC using a dongle and it automatically switches when receiving a call. Also it's wireless so you can walk around freely. You can keep using it while its charging (using a USB cable). Sound quality is great for gaming, video calls and listening to music.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I cannot recommend the Steelseries Arctis 5 more. If you want wireless, go Arctis 7. They're actually having a massive sale right now which includes the Arctis 7 (sign up and it'll be $99.99 USD in cart): https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-7

If you don't wanna go wireless, https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Arctis-Illuminated-Headset-Headphone/dp/B07FZQJ8PY/

I have an Arctis 5 at work and just bought an Arctis 7 for home. No idea who's telling you the mic isn't great. It's perfect for voice.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
I cannot recommend the Steelseries Arctis 5 more. If you want wireless, go Arctis 7. They're actually having a massive sale right now which includes the Arctis 7 (sign up and the 30% discount will be reflected in cart): https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-7

If you don't wanna go wireless, https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Arctis-Illuminated-Headset-Headphone/dp/B07FZQJ8PY/

I have an Arctis 5 at work and just bought an Arctis 7 for home. No idea who's telling you the mic isn't great. It's perfect for voice.
Eh 40mm driver. Get a 50mm this day and age

pastry knife

Mar 10, 2020
I'd consider getting an antlion modmic and just sticking it to the headphones of your choice! It means a little more cable management, but in exchange you've got a really nice mic and you can pair it with anything you want.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I'd consider getting an antlion modmic and just sticking it to the headphones of your choice! It means a little more cable management, but in exchange you've got a really nice mic and you can pair it with anything you want.

+1 on this suggestion. You can get better headphones this way. I ended up with a mic on an arm that I can push to the side when I'm not using it. $50 for both the mic and arm (Fifine K669B).

If you need to have the headphones on all day, open back headphones are nice too. Doesn't feel as isolating that way. Not sure what's available in the price range though. I use Sennheiser HD 58x from drop.com for $150, I think. I can wear them all day for work or gaming.

Disregard all this if you also need it to work on your console. No idea for that situation.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using my Samsung Galaxy Buds+ and walking around the place while attending conference calls =P.

I don't do much MP gaming these games, but I am interested in which headsets that offer good sounds that comparable to both my Audio Technica M-50s and Sony WH-1000MX2... (I know they're music oriented, but still they sound great..)

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot recommend the Steelseries Arctis 5 more. If you want wireless, go Arctis 7. They're actually having a massive sale right now which includes the Arctis 7 (sign up and it'll be $99.99 USD in cart): https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-7

Firestorm bringing the deals outside of the canadian forum. Good call, will order the 7 based on your recommendation!

EDIT: $39 for shipping...

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Firestorm bringing the deals outside of the canadian forum. Good call, will order the 7 based on your recommendation!

EDIT: $39 for shipping...
Yeah the shipping kills it for Canada =[ I ordered along with a bunch of other friends (who don't need their things for a while) so we split the shipping but it's killer for one person. Wish they had a USPS/Canada Post option.

They're $159.99 rather than $132.99 on Amazon and Best Buy:

SteelSeries Arctis 7 - Lossless Wireless Gaming Headset with DTS Headphone:X v2.0 Surround - For PC and PlayStation 4 - Black: Amazon.ca: Electronics

SteelSeries Arctis 7 - Lossless Wireless Gaming Headset with DTS Headphone:X v2.0 Surround - For PC and PlayStation 4 - Black: Amazon.ca: Electronics

SteelSeries Arctis 7 Wireless Gaming Headset with Microphone - Black | Best Buy Canada

SteelSeries' Arctis 7 gaming headset puts equal emphasis on the audio and mic. A 2.4GHz connection delivers lag-free audio when every second matters. Its S1 speaker drivers and DTS Headphone:X v2 produces surround-sound audio with ultra-low distortion so you never miss a detail. And the...

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Sennheiser Game Zero / One or the newer Sennheiser GSP models. A bit pricey, though.

OP
OP
Stryder

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Right now it's a toss up between Steelseries Arctis 7, Logitech G X Pro, and the Plantronics Rigs 800HS

Those are the three I keep hearing a lot of good things about in different sites.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the shipping kills it for Canada =[ I ordered along with a bunch of other friends (who don't need their things for a while) so we split the shipping but it's killer for one person. Wish they had a USPS/Canada Post option.

They're $159.99 rather than $132.99 on Amazon and Best Buy:

SteelSeries Arctis 7 Wireless Gaming Headset with Microphone - Black | Best Buy Canada

SteelSeries' Arctis 7 gaming headset puts equal emphasis on the audio and mic. A 2.4GHz connection delivers lag-free audio when every second matters. Its S1 speaker drivers and DTS Headphone:X v2 produces surround-sound audio with ultra-low distortion so you never miss a detail. And the...

Yeah I may end up with the PS4 Golds to replace my current ones. Most comfortable headset ever owned but dongles need to go away.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
How do you guys feel about the SteelSeries headsets? Open to any suggestions. Looking for great audio and mic quality anywhere between 100 - 150 dollars.

I swear by the Arctic Pro Wireless headset. A little pricier but the convenience and quality far outweighs the cost for me.

1) has Bluetooth so you can synch it to your phone. This allows you to hear BOTH game sound from your console/PC whatever and audio from your phone, and you can individually adjust volume mix between the two source. This has been the biggest game changer for me besides wireless freedom. With the whole "work-from-home" situation right now, this feature has been a blessing as I can ZOOM call from either my PC or iPhone/iPad, and pick up regular calls on my phone without any panic-inducing input switch-a-roos

2) It comes with two Li-on battery pack. One charges inside the slot of the audio mixer station while you use the other one. If battery runs out, you can swap in the freshly charged pack and place the used one In the charge slot. Each battery charge lasts about 8-10 hours continuous use Depending on volume level.

There are other many other good stuff about this set you can read up from the below as it relates to gaming, but the above are what really sold me on this set.

steelseries.com

Arctis Pro Wireless Gaming Headset

Arctis Pro Wireless features dual-wireless technology with lag-free 2.4G wireless lossless audio and Bluetooth mobile audio, combined with hi-res capable speaker drivers and a ClearCast mic.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I'm looking to get a new headset because my Playstation Gold headphones, that I've been using for my PC the last three years, doesn't really have a great mic. I've been fine with sounding like I'm talking from the bottom of a well when playing CoD or OW with my friends, but I need a better quality mic while I'm talking to people at work.

I was thinking about getting the Logictech G Pro X

But honestly I've been burned by Logitech-- their G930 headset came with a defect where it would constantly disconnect from the wireless receiver dropping audio and voice.

That ones not bad but honesty if you can squeeze a couple extra dollars for it or are okay with buying used to hit your price point, look at the combo of the Phillips shp9500 or 9500s and the mod mic wireless. That combo is going to give amazing sound quality for the money and pretty much the best mic you can buy that isn't a professional mic. Look up reviews for both, it's insane how good each product is. New the setup is about 180 to 190 but used you can definitely get to the 150 or less mark. Just an option to think about.

Edit: you could also go the mod mic 5 non wireless but I'd personally hate adding the extra wire but you could save more if that doesn't bother you.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
If you're at your desk, can I suggest getting a microphone and a pair of headphones separately? Without fail I always find headsets to have crappy mics. The Neewer NW-700/800 is a surprisingly good mic for the price and you can pick it up with a boom arm/pop filter for very cheap on amazon.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I'd also recommend a Modmic onto your own headphones of choice. I love my Beyerdynamics and the modmic allowed me to keep using them as a headset and it's a great quality mic as well.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I just got my Arctis 7 today after my HyperX Cloud II died a couple of days ago. Surprisingly light on my head, good sound and mic quality, no issues with the Engine software. First impression is quite positive.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Right now it's a toss up between Steelseries Arctis 7, Logitech G X Pro, and the Plantronics Rigs 800HS

Those are the three I keep hearing a lot of good things about in different sites.

While I have no input on either of those headsets (I'm in the modmic camp), I just wanted to say that the quality of Plantronics headset is far from great. I deal with the RMA at work and we get so many plantronics headsets that have broken in one way or another.

They have a really great support-site to get them replaced quickly though, I'll give them that.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
My mom picked up the SteelSeries Arctis 3 so she can teach from home, and she's been loving it ever since I set it up for her.

Weird seeing her in a gaming headset, but it works!

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I have the Sennheiser Game One, also sold on Massdrop as the PC37X.

Probably has one of the best headset mics I've seen and the sound is good, keep it mind though they are open back.
Sennheiser Game Zero / One or the newer Sennheiser GSP models. A bit pricey, though.

To echo what some have said, I hope you seriously consider the Sennheiser PC 37x. One of the best for sound quality and competitive games, has a great mic, and drop.com has it for $100 right now.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
My G933 Artemis is fantastic and your disconnect issues are caused by your usb setup. You should make sure windows doesn't turn the usb port off after a while because « reasons ».

Mine never does nor did the previous models I've had since the G15 a decade ago

there's a new model, the G935

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
The Arctis 7 audio and microphone is fine. If you use Discord and other platforms, Arctis 7 microphone is fine and auto detects some settings. My only complaint is it is not comfortable as other headphones and even the old Steelseries headsets.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My son wants a headset for Fortnite on PS4. Wired is preferred. I'm trying to decide between SteelSeries Arctis 3 for $50, Arctis 5 for $60, and the Corsair HS60 for $60.
I'm trying to stay around $50. Are the HyperX Clouds around the $60 mark better than the ones I'm considering?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I recommend my HyperX Cloud to people, stay away from HyperX if you're looking for mic quality. It's easily the weakest component of the headset.

I've had Sennheiser gaming headsets with absolutely stellar mics in the past.

My son wants a headset for Fortnite on PS4. Wired is preferred. I'm trying to decide between SteelSeries Arctis 3 for $50, Arctis 5 for $60, and the Corsair HS60 for $60.
I'm trying to stay around $50. Are the HyperX Clouds around the $60 mark better than the ones I'm considering?

In terms of overall quality, I'd recommend the HyperX easily. The mic is more than passable. Just not studio quality. Everything else is top tier and very hard to beat for the price.

Oct 25, 2017
Why?
I am very pleased by the sound and mic quality of my A50s.
I bought Astro A50s Gen1 or 2 for PS4 when they were like $300+,
bought the 2 year warranty,
right ear starts going out short of a year later.
get the replacement from Best Buy, its Gen 3 or whatever with the base and everything way cheaper quality.
literally days after having them for a year they completely stop taking a charge.

Best Buy says my warranty was already used so was no longer valid.

Astro say since I've had them for a year their warranty is no longer valid
They tell me they no longer offer off-warranty repair and have the nerve to then attach links to where "I can purchase new Astro headphones"

Turrican2

Oct 28, 2017
Hamburg
I bought Astro A50s Gen1 or 2 for PS4 when they were like $300+,
bought the 2 year warranty,
right ear starts going out short of a year later.
get the replacement from Best Buy, its Gen 3 or whatever with the base and everything way cheaper quality.
literally days after having them for a year they completely stop taking a charge.

Best Buy says my warranty was already used so was no longer valid.

Astro say since I've had them for a year their warranty is no longer valid
They tell me they no longer offer off-warranty repair and have the nerve to then attach links to where "I can purchase new Astro headphones"

Ah OK that experience totally sucks no doubt.