• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I am headed out on vacation in like... 4 hours.

Need a game to download ASAP! I have all the First Party games already.

-Something that looks & runs very well handheld.

-Maybe a nice ensemble a la Mass Effect or Persona? Or maybe something with a compelling plot?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hollow knight is always excellent.
DQ 11 would be good.
I've just started but atelier ryza might fit. I'm having a good time.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Ai: The Somnium Files

(Compelling story, great cast of characters, nice mix of detective gameplay ala Ace Attorney and a fully-voiced visual novel, runs well in handheld apart from some longer background loading times. It helps if you don't mind an anime presentation with some of the typical tropes, but you should be good since you mentioned Persona)

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm...based on your criteria:
  • Tales of Vesperia
  • One of the Atelier games
  • Rune Factory 4
  • Dragon Quest 11 DE
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Dragon Quest XI. Runs great (also has a great 2D mode) and is an excellent game to sink into on vacation.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Astral Chain, is perfect on handheld and it's a masterpiece
The same can be said for DQXIS

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some great picks already, I'd choose something like:

Hollow Knight
Civ 6
Into the Breach
DQ11
Stardew Valley
Fell Seal

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Puzzle Quest if you're into match 3 games. Expect a truckload of matching. Very addicting.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Hmmm...based on your criteria:
  • Tales of Vesperia
  • One of the Atelier games
  • Rune Factory 4
  • Dragon Quest 11 DE
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Dragon Quest XI, Tales of Vesperia, Valkyrie Chronicles 4, Atelier Ryza

is tales fully voiced over?

I just want you to stay safe OP.

Thanks! We just rented an airbnb on the shore with groceries and stuff - so we are driving down and will remain fairly locked down.

killer7

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
- Hotline Miami Collection
- Cuphead (it's hard!)
- SuperHot

I never played it on switch, but someone could suggest:

- Devil May Cry Collection
- Hyper Light Drifter
- Thumper
- Katana Zero
- My Friend Pedro
- Dark Souls Remastered
- Bayonetta 1 and 2
- Resident Evil and Resident Evil ZERO
- Luigi's Mansion 3
- DOOM
- Crysis
- Wolfenstein
- The Witcher III
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Bioshock Collection
- Final Fantasy VII

and many others...

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Spyro Trilogy, Dragon Quest 11S, Cuphead, Celeste, Ori, Final Fantasy 9 if for some reason you never played it

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
N++ plays like Super Meat Boy but the aesthetic's glorious, pretentious minimalism. It is my fav platformer of all time. Literally thousands of masterfully crafted levels. Small download size

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
VA11 Hall-A is a pretty good visual novel with a neat gameplay mechanic and fun characters.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
For summer vacations, I recommend Ys VIII. Action RPG set on a deserted island, with a castaway village as a hub and lots of beaches. It always reminds me of summer.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good & runs well on handheld: Crysis, Bulletstorm, Saints Row 4, Metro Redux, Alien Isolation, Brigandine, Burnout Paradise

Something amalgamation of Persona and Mass Effect: God Eater 3, Star Ocean, Shining Resonance Refrain, Cold Steel 3, SAO Fatal Bullet

Compelling Story: Steins;Gate (both of them), Brigandine, Grandia, Metro Redux, Cold Steel 3, Tales of Vesperia, Valkyria Chornicles 1&4

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
atelier always looked like niche jrpg but the ryza one has some uh compelling screenshots

Looks good & runs well on handheld: Crysis, Bulletstorm, Saints Row 4, Alien Isolation, Brigandine, Burnout Paradise

Something amalgamation of Persona and Mass Effect: God Eater 3, Star Ocean, Shining Resonance Refrain, Cold Steel 3, SAO Fatal Bullet

Compelling Story: Steins;Gate (both of them), Brigandine, Grandia, Metro Redux, Cold Steel 3, Tales of Vesperia, Valkyria Chornicles 1&4

i've been told not to start with cold steel 3, but thank you for this list

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I am headed out on vacation in like... 4 hours.

Need a game to download ASAP! I have all the First Party games already.

-Something that looks & runs very well handheld.

-Maybe a nice ensemble a la Mass Effect or Persona? Or maybe something with a compelling plot?
Do you own Tokyo Mirage Sessions? It's like Persona quite a bit, but it is it's own thing too. No English dub, though.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
i've been told not to start with cold steel 3, but thank you for this list

Cold Steel has a text summary of first two games and it's not likely for them to come to Switch anyway. While it's needed to know what happened in those games to get familiar with cameos in the game, as a whole CS3's own story can be enjoyed without playing them at all.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
is tales fully voiced over?

Thanks! We just rented an airbnb on the shore with groceries and stuff - so we are driving down and will remain fairly locked down.
Not fully, iirc (at the very least the skits aren't voiced) but key scenes are all voiced and battles have some canned voice recordings that play.

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
Skyrim. Yes, it's old. Yes, you've already played it three times and own it on two other consoles. Yes, it's vanilla, and there's no mods, and it's still got some bugs and all that jank that it was criticized for in 2011 is still there.

But it's bloody Skyrim! On a handheld. And it runs great, and all the content is there, and you can play it for another 80 hours and still find new things. Also, it's currently "half price" on the eshop, so you're only paying a like 100-150% markup on the bargain bin disc price of other versions that you could find literally anywhere, instead of 300%+ markup that it normally is. In spite of every reason that you shouldn't buy this game again for the tenth time, I'll counter your argument with: "but it's Skyrim in your hands!"

You know what to do. You know you don't want to do it. But you should, and you will, and you won't regret it.

Last edited: