• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Searched but couldn't find if this was posted anywhere yet, but Blizzard added Reckful to the Cathedral in Stormwind.

He does have some specific text related to him as well.

964724.jpg

964730.jpg

www.wowhead.com

Reckful Added As Rogue Trainer in Shadowlands

Blizzard has paid tribute to Reckful by adding him as a Rogue Trainer NPC in Shadowlands.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I never knew anything about this guy even though I have played WoW since the day it came out until his unfortunate passing, but regardless this is a very cool gesture in regards to him and I love that they do things like this.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I understand the thought behind this but I don't think they should do it. "Die by suicide and you can get put in this game" is not a great message to put out there.

I even just talked to my fiancée who works in suicide prevention and she said this is not a good way to try and honor him.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I understand the thought behind this but I don't think they should do it. "Die by suicide and you can get put in this game" is not a great message to put out there.

I even just talked to my fiancée who works in suicide prevention and she said this is not a good way to try and honor him.

He was a uniquely iconic player in WoW and that is why this was done. WoW players know this. He has several references in the game with the Hearthstone toy and the Byron Burniside npc.

My issue is that he should have been unbanned years ago. The big world first guilds notoriously share accounts, buy gold and all sorts of shit against ToS but they never get any punishment. I always felt like Byron's was appropriate for awhile but it went on for far too long. If Riot can forgive Tyler1 then Blizzard could have forgiven Reckful. Losing his main account devastated him.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
I never knew anything about this guy even though I have played WoW since the day it came out until his unfortunate passing, but regardless this is a very cool gesture in regards to him and I love that they do things like this.
The talk about Reckful passing has mostly (deservedly) been about how great of a guy he was and his mental health. But it's worth noting that he was (debatably) the best arena Rogue player of all time, and one of the best arena players of all time in general. To add to this, before WoW, he played another MMO called Asheron's Call under the name AntiParazi and was arguably the best PvP player in that game as well. Finally, though he didn't put much time into being a pro player in Hearthstone, he very easily could compete at the highest level in that game as well. He was incredibly smart and very, very skilled at video games. His passing is a tragedy.

I know people will call Blizzard hypocrites for doing this now and not unbanning him for account sharing while he was still alive, an offense that should likely have been given a ban for a few years but instead landed his character with a permaban, but I know he always said it was likely due to someone at Blizzard not liking him. Blizzard have a lot of people employed, and it's not even guaranteed that guy is there anymore. This is a nice gesture, and let's leave it at that. RIP Byron.

data west

Oct 25, 2017

He's not in the game because he died by suicide.

He's in the game because he's one of the most notable players of WoW who happened to pass away recently. You nor your fiancee are the authority on how to commemorate someone who had a huge influence on this games community.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Looks like old Blizzard and that's great! Reckful was one of the greatest player to have played this game and he was such a nice person, depression is such a pain in the ass...

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I Also agree that his perma ban was stupid. a 6 months one would have been enough, especially with how MEthod, Limit, Exorcius and other guilds share their accounts (and it's expected anway).

Blizzard does a lot of small references like that but placing a player directly in the game is extremely rare, very nice gesture.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

You or your fiancee don't get to decide that.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
I Also agree that his perma ban was stupid. a 6 months one would have been enough, especially with how MEthod, Limit, Exorcius and other guilds share their accounts (and it's expected anway).

Blizzard does a lot of small references like that but placing a player directly in the game is extremely rare, very nice gesture.

the perma ban was stupid but je definitely continue playing the game after that.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You nor your fiancee are the authority on how to commemorate someone who had a huge influence on this games community.
You or your fiancee don't get to decide that.

Actually, yes, we do get to have an opinion on this. And that's all this is, an opinion. How you both jumped to me saying we're some Great Arbiter that dictates what Blizzard can do in this matter eludes me.

And given that she conducts classes on suicide prevention, has worked in social work for a lot of her adult life, has many stories of copycat suicides, and has a Masters in psychology, I know she knows way more about this stuff than I, and I'm going to take a guess than you two as well.

So, again, just to be clear so we don't have any further mix-ups: correct, I do not get to decide what Blizzard does. But I do get to share my opinion on the matter.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Actually, yes, we do get to have an opinion on this. And that's all this is, an opinion. How you both jumped to me saying we're some Great Arbiter that dictates what Blizzard can do in this matter eludes me.

And given that she conducts classes on suicide prevention, has worked in social work for a lot of her adult life, has many stories of copycat suicides, and has a Masters in psychology, I know she knows way more about this stuff than I, and I'm going to take a guess than you two as well.

So, again, just to be clear so we don't have any further mix-ups: correct, I do not get to decide what Blizzard does. But I do get to share my opinion on the matter.

When you pop off at the mouth about a sensitive topic in a way that doesn't show any hint of sensitivity, I think it's expected to have people clap back at you. Blizzard has honored others who died by putting them in the game, and it's also not a good idea to treat him wildly differently because he died of suicide. The stigma around discussing suicide, and the iconoclastic silencing of those who die to suicide by treating them so differently from those who died of "less shameful" causes is a huge problem for those dealing with suicidal thoughts.

And your second-hand plea to authority is honestly inappropriate and falls on deaf ears from me. The field of suicide prevention is filled with raging debates about stuff like how to honor those who died from suicide, and I doubt your fiance is the one heroic person who has settled the debate once and for all.

If you're going to rely on some anecdotes though, I can say one thing for sure: The aura of silence that followed the suicide of several close friends drove me into a pit of despair, and the refusal for people to honor and love their memories in the same way that they did those who died of more "natural" causes was an immense burden to me that almost pushed me over the edge.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When you pop off at the mouth about a sensitive topic in a way that doesn't show any hint of sensitivity, I think it's expected to have people clap back at you. Blizzard has honored others who died by putting them in the game, and it's also not a good idea to treat him wildly differently because he died of suicide. The stigma around discussing suicide, and the iconoclastic silencing of those who die to suicide by treating them so differently from those who died of "less shameful" causes is a huge problem for those dealing with suicidal thoughts.

And your second-hand plea to authority is honestly inappropriate and falls on deaf ears from me. The field of suicide prevention is filled with raging debates about stuff like how to honor those who died from suicide, and I doubt your fiance is the one heroic person who has settled the debate once and for all.

If you're going to rely on some anecdotes though, I can say one thing for sure: The aura of silence that followed the suicide of several close friends drove me into a pit of despair, and the refusal for people to honor and love their memories in the same way that they did those who died of more "natural" causes was an immense burden to me that almost pushed me over the edge.

Calmly stating an opinion contrary to the majority is not popping off. It's not like I said anything bad about him or said Blizzard was stupid or ridiculous for doing this.

And again with the authority bullshit. No where, not once have I said either of us is an authority on this. You are correct in that matters such as these very much debated. I merely gave my thoughts on it, and then how I came to that opinion. Like, how do you guys keep coming to this conclusion? I guess it should be a raging debate but not here.

There is a difference between friends and loved ones honoring a person that died this way (or not, in your case, which I agree is shitty) and a company doing something that could be seen by others in a very bad place as some sort of reward or approval that this was an okay thing he did.

Whatever, I'm done. Reddit had a good discussion a while ago about how things like this should be handled and I had hoped to maybe spawn a similar conversation here but I see now this is not possible when people just keep using the same attack point that they themselves made up.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Calmly stating an opinion contrary to the majority is not popping off. It's not like I said anything bad about him or said Blizzard was stupid or ridiculous for doing this.

And again with the authority bullshit. No where, not once have I said either of us is an authority on this. You are correct in that matters such as these very much debated. I merely gave my thoughts on it, and then how I came to that opinion. Like, how do you guys keep coming to this conclusion? I guess it should be a raging debate but not here.

There is a difference between friends and loved ones honoring a person that died this way (or not, in your case, which I agree is shitty) and a company doing something that could be seen by others in a very bad place as some sort of reward or approval that this was an okay thing he did.

Whatever, I'm done. Reddit had a good discussion a while ago about how things like this should be handled and I had hoped to maybe spawn a similar conversation here but I see now this is not possible when people just keep using the same attack point that they themselves made up.

Your post came off as insensitive and inappropriate. If you're the kind of person who can't understand that, maybe you're not the kind of person to foster a good conversation about such a sensitive topic.

Dec 20, 2017
I read on reddit the npc says something like "It was nice seeing you again" instead of the usual "Goodbye" when quitting dialogue with her. Which I can't confirm is true, but does seem extra sweet.