• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
You do know that Buddhists use a different swastika and they keep using it despite the Nazis, right?
I know they use it in a different context, which is absolutely fine of course, but what do you mean by "different"? Do you just mean different in use (where I of course agree), or also appearance (which I'd ask you to please explain to me)?

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
One of the big distinctions done by more centrist people regarding communism vs capitalism (or US vs USSR) is that Russia killed a lot of people inside their border while the US (and a lot of western countries) built themselves by exploring other regions.

I think comparing Nazis with Russia is a bit of a deflection since the Nazis did their shit in higher numbers and in way less time. This is not defending any thing in particular but that's the reason I think that specific comparation is flawed.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
I completely missed these guys. There is really a group for everything lol. Human beings are funny.

noahpinion.substack.com

Tankies!

Everything you didn't want to know about the people who think communist empires are awesome

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fc01bb280-b83a-453b-a05b-fe0450c63a4c_606x868.jpeg

Those tweets lol.

My grandpa was in a Sibirien gulag until 1951 and was a damaged person after six years there. The few details he told were crazy and brutal.

This is the same kind of wrong like people who doubting the Holocaust. Fuck everyone who is spreading this stuff.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
One of the big distinctions done by more centrist people regarding communism vs capitalism (or US vs USSR) is that Russia killed a lot of people inside their border while the US (and a lot of western countries) built themselves by exploring other regions.

I think comparing Nazis with Russia is a bit of a deflection since the Nazis did their shit in higher numbers and in way less time. This is not defending any thing in particular but that's the reason I think that specific comparation is flawed.
They murdered over 20 million people and annexed many countries, as well as committing absolutely brutal repression.

The comparison is just.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
They murdered over 20 million people and annexed many countries, as well as committing absolutely brutal repression.

The comparison is just.

The Holocaust itself caused around 5 million deaths in 4 years. Deaths that were targeted to Jewish people.

The there's also the war that lasted 6 years where more than 70 million people died.

As terrible as Stalin is 20 million in 30 years is different than 70 in 6.

even if you exclude numbers from World War 2 we are still talking about a very different timeframe.

They are both terrible regimes but I don't think are directly compared.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I just wanted to comment on this bit here. The declaration of war was not "just" about honoring a pact, they were eager to stop the Germans from expanding further. They did not attack immediately for two reasons - one, because the French were operating with extremely conservative mindsets based on a strongly defensive military philosophy (insufficient doctrinal and organizational reforms since WW1), and two because they understood time to be on their side. The French army was large, although not as well equipped as it would have liked to have been, while the British army was very small but extremely well equipped. The longer they could stonewall the Germans, the more favourable the balance of forces would become, what with the British and French both being global empires able to tap large reserves of resources and manpower from overseas.

It's probably true that if they planned a big assault to coincide with the opening days of the war they might have made some good progress into the Rhineland, but on the other hand they were not in a position to rapidly exploit breakthroughs and relentlessly push like the Germans were. Then again, if we're dealing just with hindsight, you could probably instantly reverse the course of WWII just by slightly repositioning a few French divisions in May 1940. Suddenly the German spearhead gets bogged down, the BEF and French forces gain extra time to withdraw from the low countries, and it becomes an attritional war which the Germans are woefully unprepared for. Nazis crushed by Q4 1942, the Italians probably sit the war out.

I mean, sure, that's why I say it was "more" about honoring rather than "just" :P Where I want to land is that the act of not-invading neutral ground wasn't the moral high ground like how we would see, the whole affair of pacts, alliances, trade deals, etc are far more complicated to just look at it in absolute moral stand points.

I would love to discuss more about the whole 1940 debacle but I feel we would just derail more the thread

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017

You need to be careful about using Russia and USSR interchangeably.
  • Pre-USSR Russia absolutely colonized and subjugated people when expanding eastwards and westwards, including near exterminating indigenous populations. The gravest example would probably be the Circassian genocide
  • The USSR had something similar to the Han supremacy in China, only for Russians. Even if it's ok to deny Holodomor on this forum, other people were still specifically targeted based on their ethnicity. Look up Soviet population transfers
  • Post-USSR Russia led multiple, unjust wars against its neighbors, fought the Chechen wars in a ww2 style and is still at war in Syria, often with complete disregard for human life

Oct 29, 2017
  • Pre-USSR Russia absolutely colonized and subjugated people when expanding eastwards and westwards, including near exterminating indigenous populations. The gravest example would probably be the Circassian genocide
  • The USSR had something similar to the Han supremacy in China, only for Russians. Even if it's ok to deny Holodomor on this forum, other people were still specifically targeted based on their ethnicity. Look up Soviet population transfers
  • Post-USSR Russia led multiple, unjust wars against its neighbors, fought the Chechen wars in a ww2 style and is still at war in Syria, often with complete disregard for human life

Nazi ideology is disgusting and evil even on paper.

Marxist communism isn't built on evil, but time and time again proves that the process to get there is going to end in death and oppression.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I know they use it in a different context, which is absolutely fine of course, but what do you mean by "different"? Do you just mean different in use (where I of course agree), or also appearance (which I'd ask you to please explain to me)?
The Nazi version is specifically the clockwise one rotated 45 degrees

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017

In this case I meant USSR.

I don't mean to deny or diminish any of that.

My issue with the comparation with Nazi Germany is that I feel that even with all the atrocities USSR committed, Nazy Germany was a different beast. Not because it's the only regime to commit genocide or war but because they did both in such a quick and brutal fashion and built their regime based on those hateful principles.

The USSR lasted a long time and commited numerous crimes against humanity and I don't want to white wash them. They are simple different beasts as I see it.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of capitalist countries handled the pandemic well. What are you talking about? You really do fulfill the stereotype of being unable to view the world through any lense except America.

Wow, you're so very patient, arguing for totalitarian dictatorships with horrible outcomes, and having to face minor pushback outside of your bubble and make actual arguments.

Just hours after a pro-free market capitalist mob stormed the US Capitol building and subvert democratic rule of law here you are reviving the thread with pro-free market capitalism arguments. Bold move my friend.

"Plenty of capitalist countries handled the pandemic well" but plenty did not. And the pro-individualism under capitalism is largely to blame. Capitalism discourages collectivism and creates a culture of selfishness, where endless (and unequal!) growth takes priority directly over human lives. We've seen it this year throughout the West. And you are eager to judge communism by its worst historical examples but you are perfectly willing to talk around the largest capitalist economy in human history, in the USA, to try to justify a failing economic system.

I think virtually every Chinese person would gladly, gratefully accept wealth inequality in order to not return to their past where everyone was equal because everyone was poor. And those social policies were crap without the economy provided by the shift to capitalism.

Huh.

I'm not a tankie.

Chairman, what are some examples of successful capitalist states?

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
The Holocaust itself caused around 5 million deaths in 4 years. Deaths that were targeted to Jewish people.

The there's also the war that lasted 6 years where more than 70 million people died.

As terrible as Stalin is 20 million in 30 years is different than 70 in 6.

even if you exclude numbers from World War 2 we are still talking about a very different timeframe.

They are both terrible regimes but I don't think are directly compared.

Not that it detracts from your overall point here, but the number of deaths in the Holocaust was actually quite a lot higher than this. Jewish people made up around 6 million of the 11-12 million people that were killed in the holocaust. The Nazis managed to actually be even worse than the initial numbers there

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dude, you're one to talk about stereotypes.

putting a disclaimer at the top of your post saying "bad systems like capitalism should be called out" means nothing if you're going to judge it with extenuating circumstances for all its faults while simultaneously blasting countries claiming communism for any and all fuckups, even imaginary ones apparently.
I don't understand your specific objection here. I'm saying the same thing I always have, in this thread and well before that. Capitalism is bad, communism is vastly worse.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering you've argued against taxation of the wealthy and in favour of free-market solutions at the expense of taxation (which is essentially anarcho-capitalist talking points) before and in fact regularly go into threads to talk down to people calling out capitalism, you'll forgive me for not believing that you don't take issue there.
Need receipts on your claim that I think the wealthy shouldn't be taxed.

I've been pretty consistent for years in posting that capitalism is both a) highly flawed and b) better than the alternatives so far. You're free to believe I'm an anarcho-capitalist or think it's perfect or whatever. When people get nuts I'll post against it, just like I used to argue against libertarians and the like. If you want to argue against the stuff I've posted, fine. If you want to argue against secret real positions you think I hold...well, ok, but I'm not sure what response you expect from me.

Pretty sure it has a lot more to do with the fact that they ditched the communism but kept the authoritarianism and/or corruption intact.
After all, if we're going to argue about how terrible those things are in suppressing the will of the people, perhaps it should stand to reason that the continued presence of these ills after the end of communism would explain why it never came back when the only thing that changed was that the authoritarianism and corruption gave the new ruling classes more money to stuff their pockets with under capitalism, yes?
Even authoritarian regimes can fall, given enough support for that. That's how some of them got out of communism in the first place. If everyone in those countries really loved communism and wanted it back, I think it'd happen at least in some cases. It hasn't, not even close.

I've mentioned it elsewhere, including in prior discussion with you, but even in places with broad support, UBI keeps getting struck down and is a pipe dream that will never come to fruition under capitalism. We've been trying for 50 years now.
UBI is a pipe dream but communism isn't, and is worth pushing for? That sounds completely backwards to me.

UBI is also closer than it's ever been, has basically happened to varying degrees in a bunch of countries (either with experiments or direct cash transfers as a result of COVID), and to me it seems an incredibly weird time to say it's a pipe dream. That would have sounded more convincing a decade ago.

Also, Singapore's public housing system was implemented right before and immediately after independence and the political factors in play to develop it are frankly no longer possible to duplicate in places like the United States; that ship has long since sailed and even Singaporean leadership acknowledges this point very explicitly.
Every country and every time period has unique challenges and needs to account for political realities. Perhaps Singapore's specific solution is hard to implement elsewhere today. Or maybe not! But it's been done, it's worked well, and something kind of like it should be pushed more. Certainly more than a non-solution that's even more politically untenable and doesn't work!

That's a lot of mouths to put words into all at once. Perhaps it's best to let them speak for themselves on that matter instead of assuming the position of almost every person in the most populated country in the world. But you do you.
Well, they do speak for themselves, all the time. They generally support the current style of development of China. Have you seen something to the contrary?

Or let me ask you the same question. Would you rather have a disposable income of under $1000 per year, with low inequality, or an income of, say, $16,000 per year with high inequality?

I think that depends entirely on your definition of "well", as well as what the after-effects will be when the bills come due.
What's your preferred definition to use?

Not sure what you mean by after-effects. Financial? Political? Happy to discuss them.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just hours after a pro-free market capitalist mob stormed the US Capitol building and subvert democratic rule of law here you are reviving the thread with pro-free market capitalism arguments. Bold move my friend.
I can assure you that the Democratic party also supports capitalism. It's not confined to, or even particularly prevalent, among Trump insurrectionists.

"Plenty of capitalist countries handled the pandemic well" but plenty did not. And the pro-individualism under capitalism is largely to blame. Capitalism discourages collectivism and creates a culture of selfishness, where endless (and unequal!) growth takes priority directly over human lives. We've seen it this year throughout the West. And you are eager to judge communism by its worst historical examples but you are perfectly willing to talk around the largest capitalist economy in human history, in the USA, to try to justify a failing economic system.
Disagree with most of your initial statements. Human lives were incredibly cheap in communist regimes, regardless of their supposed culture of selflessness.

I'm happy to judge communism by its best examples. Which ones would you like me to look at?

I'm not a tankie.

Chairman, what are some examples of successful capitalist states?
What positions do you differ on with tankies? Genuine question.

I have states in mind that I think are pretty successful, if not anywhere near perfect. Before I list them, I want to make sure we're talking about the same criteria. What do you think constitutes success or lack of success?