• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
The people I know that go to chiropractors really seem to like them, but my problem is that they always have to go back. it's never a permanent fix. It's temporary relief, and I feel like if they went to a physical therapist, they'd get better and more permanent results.

Nov 2, 2017
I find it hard to believe that chiropractors, of all people, aren't on the up and up.

Holy fuck. Hang this man.

The people I know that go to chiropractors really seem to like them, but my problem is that they always have to go back. it's never a permanent fix. It's temporary relief, and I feel like if they went to a physical therapist, they'd get better and more permanent results.

This is straight up it. They make you feel better for a little bit. Getting a deep tissue massage will do more good than a chiropractor.

Oct 27, 2017
Scam occupation. I know three people that went to chiropractors and all three were worse off for it. Also worked by and currently live by a couple that sell healing crystal scam crap and other nonsense.

Deleted member 57578

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I'm genuinely surprised in this day-and-age how many people still talk about chiropractors as if they aren't scam artists. Because they are.

I would never visit a chiropractor, and I would advise any friends/family against ever setting foot in a chiropractor's office.

On the other hand, the reason people talk about them as if they aren't scam artists can be found above:

I was having a problem with my neck because I had been bent over a computer for a long time. I tried a chiropractor for a little while and it totally fixed me up.
I dont know if it helps heal the muscle faster but the pain relief is evident as soon as your done.

Are these people liars? Delusional? Lucky? Placebo addicts? I don't know.

It's hard to judge someone if they've found a solution to chronic pain. The same attitude tempers my criticism of the producers and prescribers of opioids. Shit's easy to come down on when it you're not in constant pain. On the other hand 'live and let live' is a slippery slope- soon you'll be tolerating anti-vaxxers and flat-earthers.

I guess in an attempt to be reasonable, I draw the line just beyond stuff like acupuncture and chiropractic. I do think both should be required to have liability insurance. I'd also probably vote for a proposal to ban the practices for people under 18 without the consent of an MD.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
because so many buy into it and other "alternative medical care" in the US over proper medical care
Yep, America is full of this is healthy for you bullshit, when I started getting healthy I looked into taking vitamins, yikes! It's a complete rabbit hole just to find ones that might be safe, and the actual science from the looks of it is they are not really good for people. Same with flossing teeth, all dentist say to floss, but half of the things they say flossing is helpful for is not back by the scientific study's.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would never visit a chiropractor, and I would advise any friends/family against ever setting foot in a chiropractor's office.

On the other hand, the reason people talk about them as if they aren't scam artists can be found above:

It's hard to judge someone if they've found a solution to chronic pain. The same attitude tempers my criticism of the producers and prescribers of opioids. Shit's easy to come down on when it you're not in constant pain. On the other hand 'live and let live' is a slippery slope- soon you'll be tolerating anti-vaxxers and flat-earthers.

I guess in an attempt to be reasonable, I draw the line just beyond stuff like acupuncture and chiropractic. I do think both should be required to have liability insurance. I'd also probably vote for a proposal to ban the practices for people under 18 without the consent of an MD.

To be clear: I feel like I got lucky and I wouldn't go again.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Canada allows chiropractors as well, here's a site I found googling chiropractic (site says "Membre de l'Ordre des chiropraticiens du Québec"):

Google Translate of the page into English says that chiropractic is "safe":

Aim for optimal health ...

Choosing chiropractic as an approach is a natural, effective and safe way to bring your body to optimal health. Chiropractic adjustment allows your nervous system to perform its work in full, so you will be able to better assimilate the various stresses of life, thus allowing you to achieve a general well-being.​

Original French text:

Visez la santé optimale...

Choisir la chiropratique comme approche, c'est une façon naturelle, efficace et sĂ©curitaire d'amener votre corps vers une santĂ© optimale. L'ajustement chiropratique permet Ă  votre système nerveux d'accomplir son travail intĂ©gralement, c'est pourquoi vous serez en mesure de mieux assimiler les diffĂ©rents stress de la vie, vous permettant ainsi l'atteinte d'un bien-ĂŞtre gĂ©nĂ©ral.​

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
If someone has access to medical studies, could they look to see if there's any recent medical studies when it deals with the safety/establishing the safety of chiropractic?
I don't know why you want this info I can look some up later if needed but if you're asking whether you should go to a chiropractor then I say no. Just look up the history of how it started it started with bullshit and at best morphed into a maybe .
For reference my extended health plan covers like 2 chiropractic apts per year and unlimited physio. Do physio all day if you have a choice

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why you want this info I can look some up later if needed but if you're asking whether you should go to a chiropractor then I say no. Just look up the history of how it started it started with bullshit and at best morphed into a maybe .
For reference my extended health plan covers like 2 chiropractic apts per year and unlimited physio. Do physio all day if you have a choice

I asked due to the response to the OP in post #2:

ChrisBliss117

Oct 28, 2017
My wife works in a hospital and had a patient who suffered a stroke after a chiropractic appointment. No thanks. Chiros are really popular on YouTube, look up the ring dinger and be amazed.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The issue with it is that unlike the usual snake oil medicine for some reason chiropractics has gotten acceptance in the mainstream.

I don't get it myself, for people that have joint issues and other things they can actually cause issues to worsen. I don't see why it's even allowed to be practiced when it's just straight up BS.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Ive seen enough chiropractor manipulation induced cases in various rotations in Med school that I can safely say - stay away. I'm sure some basic stuff can get "some result," but don't expect a cure (if you get lucky and not exasperate your condition)

Last edited:

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Wow- Is flossing controversial in some circles?
I wouldn't be surprised if the benefits are overstated. Personally I hate it and I only do it if I get something stuck. No other animals floss for dental health. Of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't do anything but lots of animals do stuff to keep their teeth healthy and clean. Just not that.

Oct 26, 2017
This might be a dumb question but I always equated physiotherapy as the legit counter to chiropractors in my head. Is that at all correct or is it deeply dependant on what you're trying to address?

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I crack my knuckles because I feel like it but it doesn't do anything. The next time I'm bored I'll crack them again and it'll feel slightly satisfying, but that's it.

As far as I see it, chiropractors do the same thing but with your fucking spine. It's never a permanent "fix". It's just snake oil to hook suckers and keep them coming back.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3or6x7z_d.jpg

Totally not quacks at all.

AliasGreed

Oct 31, 2017
I just feel sad so many people go to chiropractic "schools" and get certified, etc. Why waste your life on unproven nonsense? Might as well become a tarot card psychic.

A good chiropractor with he's own office makes 200k a year easy. Also the chiropractor degree is no joke from what I've heard you study a little bit more than a general practitioner doctor.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I'm one that doesn't really believe in chiros but I've heard a lot of stories on how they have fixed and healed many issues that people have had, involving some serious illnesses and conditions. So I'm not too sure about waving it away as complete nonsense.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
It's been known since the 80s that chiropractic treatments are a pseudo-science that only give temporary relief at best. Next we'll learn that the pills you buy off commercials don't actually help you lose weigh!

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I don't know if it's good for me or not. I don't really care. I just know a few years ago, I had a back issue and I went to three different doctors, and they all shrugged and said they found nothing wrong and I literally could not stand up without help.

I tried physical therapy for a few months, and made absolutely zero progress.

I went to a chiropractor, he took xrays of my back and pointed out some issues with my spine that none of the doctors noticed. He did an adjustment and I was able to stand up on my own. Run. Jump. Everything. He told me just come back if I had any issues again. I go MAYBE once a year. My last visit was in 2017 and have had no issues since.

I did end up revisiting one of the doctors that had shrugged me off and had them re-examine me and I had them look at the xrays they did and I brought up the issues the chiropractor showed me and I got a "Well would you look at that."

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
This video is my favorite takedown of Chiropractic, from the James Randi foundation YT.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I remember that after an car accident, her PT involved a chiropractor and all they did was put her on a bed that had a roller that went up and down her back.

Fitzgerald

Feb 23, 2018
Because you dont know what you're talking about? Look at the training MD (medical doctor) and DO (doctor of osteopathy) receive. Look at what they are cleared to do after completion.

DO receives equal (or more) training and is cleared to do everything an MD can.

You can call OMM bunk, doesnt bother me. But that's one tool, and MANY DOs never use it. They still have all other medical options. Chiro has basically one option, they use it for everything, and claim it can cure things it cant.

Comparing a DO to a chiropractor is an insult to doctors.
Geez, looks like I've stepped one someone's toes. I'm not discrediting DO's at all, never met one but they probably make fine doctors. It's just that I don't understand why there is a certified medical education based on something without evidence and why anyone would want to practice it when there is regular medicine. Seems like absolute bullshit to me.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
LOL chiropractors have less relevant science education than a pre-med student.

This 'medicine' makes as much scientific sense as refusing vaccinations.

Also, fuck everybody's anecdotal evidence. In my 30s I was having recurring back pain and sometimes I went to a chiropractor (20 years ago I was way dumber than now) because pressure from my employer who was into all the woo and I was taking a lot of sick time from back pain. But then sometimes I just said fuck it and didn't go. Guess what? My recovery times were the same whether I went to the chiropractor or not.

This "well I went and I felt better" shit is no different than acupuncture or herbs. Placebo effect and just healing up and having confirmation bias. That's all it is.

Eventually I just started doing deadlifts and squats and that actually helped.

Last edited:

Deleted member 57578

Banned
Jun 7, 2019
No other animals floss for dental health. Of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't do anything but lots of animals do stuff to keep their teeth healthy and clean. Just not that.
I mean... animals don't brush their teeth either. Not sure what other 'stuff' they do in terms of dental care. I always assumed they got by on account of simple diets and short life spans, i.e. the same reason early humans got by without dental care.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean... animals don't brush their teeth either. Not sure what other 'stuff' they do in terms of dental care. I always assumed they got by on account of simple diets and short life spans, i.e. the same reason early humans got by without dental care.

I mean depending on the animal they also do stuff like gnaw on bones or eat really high fiber plants (higher fiber than humans eat) and that scrapes their teeth without a brushing. Also they just fucking die because survival is rough in the wild, and they die before their teeth rot. If all us soft hairless ape-type creatures tried to live in the wild we'd die way before our teeth were fucked.

Should we all quit wearing coats in the winter because wild animals don't? Jesus fucking christ.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if the benefits are overstated. Personally I hate it and I only do it if I get something stuck. No other animals floss for dental health. Of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't do anything but lots of animals do stuff to keep their teeth healthy and clean. Just not that.
No other animals may floss, but it's known some animals will push sticks and things into their teeth to achieve the same ends (remove food particulates). Our extinct cousins did so, for example.

Per beer monkey's post above, we and our cousins certainly ate higher-fiber diets in the past as well. Scrapes along and between teeth, but also stimulates saliva which cuts down on plaque growth.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

You think massaging and heating sprained/sore muscles for pain relief is a placebo affect? lol

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's full of shit. God the useless neck-cracking all the time. The pain is in my BACK you fucking idiot. Crack my neck one more time and i will crack yours.
Having said that, there might be some use to them. Like in very rare occasions. But they need to test that shit so we know 100% certain.
It's hard to believe they never really did that.