• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SymbiantXenos

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is very good. Bit on the nose with it's messaging/themes but still a very fun ride.

Watched this the other night and it's surprisingly good given the setting. Some of the scares and effects are really well done.
Yes I enjoyed it makes better use of the premise than unfriended and hacked in my opinion. Have yet to see Ratter yet though.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Don't know if it was recommended already, but I greatly enjoyed The Void which is available on Prime.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Backing up other suggestions:
Blackcoat's Daughter
Mother
Oh my, these are great horror movies.

Also, no joke,
Lords of Salem has a great old school vibe

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Gretel and Hansel is easily my favorite film of the year thus far. And Doctor Sleep(Director's Cut) is a film I love to pieces.
Oz Perkins' and Mike Flanagan's works are all worth a look really.

And I'll take every chance I can get to sing the praises of Byzantium.

Ghostmate

Dec 11, 2017
He Never Died (2015) and She Never Died (2020) are pretty solid dark comedies with supernatural roots. The first one is tops.

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix :

Hush
The Blackcoat's Daughter
Sinister
Terrifier
The Babysitter
Emelie
It Comes At Night
Devil's Gate
The Platform
Cult of Chucky
14 Cameras
Insidious
Train to Busan
Creep
The Evil Dead
The Boy

Last edited:

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Suspiria (2018) -- One of my favorite movies of all time
Don't Breathe
In Fabric
Ready or Not

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Not a film but The Haunting of Hillhouse is a really good horror show.

It's the best horror ever filmed. I'm deeply in love with it; I can't wait for Bly Manor.

I've watched most of Mike Flanagan's filmography, and while Hill House is probably his best work (simply because how the format allows him to expand on characterization, which is his strongest suit), pretty much every one of his movies is at least great, with Oculus being particularly fantastic. It's also fun to see Kate Siegel, Flanagan's wife (who plays the incredibly charismatic Theodora in Hill House) appear in most of his other works too.

Woody

Mar 5, 2018
Love finding new stuff in these threads. I'll throw out one that hasn't been mentioned: Vivarium (2019). Young couple goes looking for their first home with a creepy real estate agent, and shit gets weird. More dreadful than scary and it kinda fizzles out towards the end, but not bad overall.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Gretel and Hansel is easily my favorite film of the year thus far. And Doctor Sleep(Director's Cut) is a film I love to pieces.
Oz Perkins' and Mike Flanagan's works are all worth a look really.

And I'll take every chance I can get to sing the praises of Byzantium.
Did the directors cut change much? Saw it back in the theater.

Also if anyone likes comedic horror I would definitely recommend Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Did the directors cut change much? Saw it back in the theater.

Also if anyone likes comedic horror I would definitely recommend Tucker and Dale vs Evil.
I've only seen the theatrical once(during its theatrical run) so my memory of it isn't too clear these days after having watched the DC a few times. The Director's Cut is about a half hour longer and does a lot to flesh out the three main characters(Dan, Abra, and Rose), it isn't like a grand reworking of the film but it does allow everything to breathe and get more screentime.

The things that stick out in my mind as notable are a decent focus on Abra and her parents which makes the drama surrounding Abra more impactful, everything with Dan(his childhood with his mother, his substance abuse and rock bottom, his recovery) is fleshed out, and we just get more time with Rose, Andi, and the True Knot.

edit: Oh and we get cool chapter titles peppered throughout.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I've watched most of Mike Flanagan's filmography, and while Hill House is probably his best work (simply because how the format allows him to expand on characterization, which is his strongest suit), pretty much every one of his movies is at least great, with Oculus being particularly fantastic. It's also fun to see Kate Siegel, Flanagan's wife (who plays the incredibly charismatic Theodora in Hill House) appear in most of his other works too.

Quoting myself because I recently watched Ouija: Origin of Evil (I've been dragging my feet on it, being a prequel on a movie that I never watched and seemed very generic / unappealing), and like every other Flanagan movie, a) it's fantastic (at this point I'm convinced he could direct a sequel to The Happening and make it fascinating), and b) it's so fun to see so many of his preferred actors in it. Bly Manor is going to be a treat. :D

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
have you seen Krampus (2015) yet OP?

www.youtube.com

Krampus - Official Trailer (HD)

Krampus DVD and Blu-Ray - http://amzn.to/2ehkhBwhttp://www.krampusthefilm.comLegendary Pictures’ Krampus, a darkly festive tale of a yuletide ghoul, reveals ...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. Any reference movie you would compare it with AKA if you like movie x, you should like this?
I think it might be more helpful if you told us what you think "too artsy" is?

There isn't much like it, honestly, and that's a big part of its charm.

I think you owe it to yourself as a horror fan to try it regardless.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks everyone. I would consider the Exorcist, which is one of my all time favorites as slow. But not sure if that is relevant here?

In any case I think I will give it a chance because I not looking for the typical jump scare pop corn movie but something really haunting (but hopefully not so super dark / disturbing like hereditary, which was a good but not enjoyable since I never want to see it again (unlike exorcist for example)

Maybe Blair Witch would be a good comparison? Love that one

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BMjllYmQ2OGQtN2IxZC00ODJiLWI4NjQtYmNlZjYzNzUzYjkyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAzMTY4MDA@._V1_.jpg

MV5BNDZkMjEzZDMtMDU5ZS00YzY5LWFkMTgtYTcwNzY1MWIxN2Q3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDU0NjMyNTQ@._V1_.jpg

MV5BZDBmYjRkZDUtNzQyNi00NjU0LWIyODktODIyMDY0YTM3ODQ2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI5NzkyMA@@._V1_.jpg

MV5BMjc2YzM3OWUtYjdiYy00N2RiLWFiMjItYTljMmU2MGU0OGUwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg

MV5BMjE3MjQ2ODc1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjYyMzI5Mg@@._V1_UY1200_CR122,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

MV5BMjQ2MTIyNjM2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDE3NDMyNjM@._V1_.jpg

Oct 27, 2017

While I loved The Editor, I found that it was a bit too silly and wanted something that sincerely appreciated the look and feel of early Argento (think pre-Suspiria) and Bava films. Along came Knife + Heart, a modern, queer take on giallo that manages to hit all the signature story beats, lush visuals, and sythny sounds that are associated with the genre without a trace of misogyny. Sincere, dreamlike, and captivating from beginning to end, this is one of my favorite movies of the 2010s.

I don't know if it is something for everyone, but if you've enjoyed horror's more artistically-driven, atmospheric works, this is worth your time.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Underwater is REQUIRED reading for fans
1) of Alien
2) of well..... Underwater setting themed horror movies
3)
of Lovecraft

Oct 25, 2017

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Ready or Not: Black comedy horror film about a new bride forced to play a deadly game of hide and seek against her husband's family.

Annihilation: A team goes into the mysterious zone known as the "shimmer"

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
The Wolf House from 2018. Not really a traditional horror film, but incredibly unsettling and disturbing stop motion film (using incredible techniques) that is based on an incredibly, incredibly fucked up bit of Chilean history (Colonia Dignidad). Probably not for everyone given the subject matter and its non-traditional narrative techniques, but it's like what Jan Švankmajer would make if he were inspired by PT.
casalobo.gif

Streaming on criterion channel currently, for those who have access.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
The Wolf House from 2018. Not really a traditional horror film, but incredibly unsettling and disturbing stop motion film (using incredible techniques) that is base on an incredibly, incredibly fucked up bit of Chilean history (Colonia Dignidad). Probably not for everyone given the subject matter and it's non-traditional narrative techniques, but it's like what Jan Švankmajer would make if he were inspired by PT.
casalobo.gif

Streaming on criterion channel currently, for those who have access.
Looks fantastic and appropriately creepy. I don't think Criterion is available here unfortunately. I'll see if I can track it down somewhere else.

On a separate note, I'm surprised this thread is still alive lol.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Honestly the Fear Street movies have been a lot fun, especially if you are new to horror.