• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Murdamonk

Oct 27, 2017
This game has no reason to be online only.
Most of the game is SP.

Online should only be required for MP parts.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Do single player races earn credits?

Someone could cheat by making offline races give out a billion credits and buy everything in the game then take those cars online.

If they made offline races they would have to make it so that those races would either give no rewards at all or you can't use those rewards in any online races, which would lead to just as much complaining.

Or they could ask the players really nicely to not cheat, that sometimes works too.
Yes those races do give you credits. I think PD would have multiple options to go about it like other games have done. For example increasing their security for saves or let the players use every car in sports mode, so you'd only need to buy cars for offline play or the other online MP.

I want to focus on the cheat you described though. Owning all the cars doesn't give you an benefit in online races. So I wouldn't call it a cheat that effects the multiplayer. Even if it would, consumers who buy MTX can still do what a save game edit does. Giving the player unlimited funds and all cars. Thus I doubt PD is worried about the fairness of people editing save games to get all cars for MP. They are worried instead of buying MTX to get all the cars, some people get all the cars for free.

Last edited:

happydeer

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2021
Would request a refund because of this and because Sony didn't communicate you couldn't play the game offline in the Playstation store. But I already played for like 20 hours, so that probably isn't happening.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I think there are positives to a game that has certain persistent, online interconnected-ness - looking at MMO-lite experiences like Destiny, etc.

I don't think there's any benefit to FORCING an always-online-or-nothing state (outside of MMOs). There's no reason that inter-connectedness couldn't be a toggle for people who don't want it.

It's especially strange in a game like GT, where its just track-based racing and not a persistent open social experience or whatever (like a Sea of Thieves, for example).

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
It's honestly what kept me from buying it, and I was originally planning to.
I wasn't even considering something like this, it was more the thought of servers being turned off down the road since I still play old games. But yeah, this sucks for people who bought it.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
SimCity (2013) pretty much is the first game title that I started to hate with always online connection method, that offers no single player/offline mode when it first released. Besides, the game had constant server connection issues and it's very hard to play smoothly without those disconnect notifications. Only later, it got patched with offline mode after many feedbacks.

Other games like Need For Speed 2015 also started this trend, which I disliked waiting that connecting to server loading.
Then Hitman reboot series from 2016 with limited gameplay and cannot progress the stats when choose to play offline.

Main reason I hate with this online-connected games is the server-side issue. Multiple times in Hitman, there's always server problem that caused me to quit my on-going session and lost my progress (because the server was unable to reconnect) and it just infuriated me so much.

It sucks this trend happened in Gran Turismo franchise; first with GT: Sport and now with this GT7 issue.

Dec 2, 2020
Always online = encourages you to play multiplayer = tempts you to buy micro transactions. This isn't going away it's just started to infest first party aaa games so more people are noticing.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Always online = encourages you to play multiplayer = tempts you to buy micro transactions. This isn't going away it's just started to infest first party aaa games so more people are noticing.

I'll skip all of them. I played thousands of hours of GT3 back in the PS2 days. Hundreds of GT4. I won't play a minute of GT7 because of always online.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I mean, it's not that big of a deal. It's just been a day. You have other games to play. And life to live as well. Just play another game and return to Gran Turismo when it comes up.

This does not even remotely deter me from playing online single player games

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I mean, it's not that big of a deal. It's just been a day. You have other games to play. And life to live as well. Just play another game and return to Gran Turismo when it comes up.

This does not even remotely deter me from playing online single player games
Paying $70 for a game just to be told "You have other games to play" 2 weeks later.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Well, to be fair, I am a developer that wants to sell microtransactions.
Consumers are the ones who ultimately make the choice to spend money on a product and you should expect them to make this choice looking out for their own interests. We know that always online exists for the publisher's (and possibly the developer's) benefit and, as evidenced by this, to the active detriment of the consumer's experience.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Yes those races do give you credits. I think PD would have multiple options to go about it like other games have done. For example increasing their security for saves or let the players use every car in sports mode, so you'd only need to buy cars for offline play or the other online MP.

I want to focus on the cheat you described though. Owning all the cars doesn't give you an benefit in online races. So I wouldn't call it a cheat that effects the multiplayer. Even if it would, consumers who buy MTX can still do what a save game edit does. Giving the player unlimited funds and all cars. Thus I doubt PD is worried about the fairness of people editing save games to get all cars for MP. They are worried instead of buying MTX to get all the cars, some people get all the cars for free.
Whether they are trying to protect fairness in online races or microtransactions there is indeed a reason for the game to be always online.

Something that all video game developers have to seriously consider is how much the players are going to cheat and hack, not if.

Also, whatever solution you have to mitigate the cheating there will be people that complain.

And if you are unsuccessful at mitigating cheating the players will complain about that too.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I listed three reasons. It is much harder to deal with cheating if you have no visibility of what a user is doing in between moments where they are online. Admittedly this doesn't feel as relevant for a console game, but then this is presumably coming to PC in the not too distant future. As I said -- it simply isn't valid to state there are no benefits. The problem is that Polyphony haven't worked hard enough to limit the downsides.
Here is a solution, make SP campaign mode have an option for offline save that can't be played online. There, problem solved for folks who just want to play SP.

Or like many other devs figure out how to limit cheating on consoles. Always online is a cop out that is just inexcusable for SP modes.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Whether they are trying to protect fairness in online races or microtransactions there is indeed a reason for the game to be always online.

Something that all video game developers have to seriously consider is how much the players are going to cheat and hack, not if.

Also, whatever solution you have to mitigate the cheating there will be people that complain.

And if you are unsuccessful at mitigating cheating the players will complain about that too.
Why do you have to care if players cheat in SP mode of your game? If it's because you jacked up car progression to push players to MTX in your $70+ game, that's greed and not a valid excuse.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
How long before Sony pulls GT Sport from the servers? This is another reason why games need to have an offline component to them unless it is strictly designed to be multiplayer only and even then why does Sony have a history of pulling games off of servers? PSN Plus costs money, that should go to keeping servers up for as long as that developer remains 1st party.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I'm just sad that after being completely fucked by Elden Ring I couldn't race just to refresh my mind.

They really need to forget about the stupid online progression. I know this is a lock for those who alter their save games with infinite money and 1 billion PP Cars, but the game at this point is BEGGING for hacks or exploits for grind money.

How many hours to unlock the 3 legendary 20MM cars for the trophy? 100 hours probably? (using luck with 6 star roulettes)

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Update 1.08 is up, let´s see how this rolls !

Aa5e.gif

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Why do you have to care if players cheat in SP mode of your game? If it's because you jacked up car progression to push players to MTX in your $70+ game, that's greed and not a valid excuse.
When things you do in single player mode can be used in multiplayer mode.

Allowing cheating in single player mode is only acceptable when single player and multiplayer are 100% separate.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I don't think I've played a Gran Turismo game since the first one on the PS1 lol but it sounds terrible if you can't play it at all. But I've been saying the same with other games, like Tekken for example.

I mean, you can definitely play Tekken without being online, but there's nothing to it, there's no challenge, there's nothing really entertaining, all the focus is on online play, and that is the trend I hate. In Tekken you should at least be able to unlock the characters through solo play and then have the online fights, but no, all the characters are unlocked automatically, and there's really nothing to do offline, unless it's battling your friends in person or whatever.

The thing to notice here is not whether everyone has an internet connection or not, but there's people, like me, who really doesn't care about playing with some unknown person at the other side of the world, wait for the match, etc, or idk, in the case of Pokémon, you know there's always these people obsessed with competitive play and you know you'll always gonna lose if you don't have a planned team or strategy, so yeah, there's really a lot of reasons why someone wouldn't want to play online, so every paid game should offer something entertaining enough to do offline.

Again, I don't even know Gran Turismo now, or what is the latest game like, but it sounds terrible for what you guys are saying and it shouldn't be the case for any game.