• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
And regardless of truth, all these websites got paid. People stopped buyin' papers and magazines, this is the result: shoot first, ask questions later.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Hah! See I told you every video game journalist was a hack fraud! This proves it!!

In all seriousness though I am amused how much this plays into the "European Game Journalist" stereotype Jeff Gerstmann/Giant Bomb used to joke about for years.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
If you work in video games journalism, you have X amount of time to produce Y content, and generally for a shit salary. That doesn't excuse journalistic integrity, but for something as trivial as a leaked games listing, I'm really not going to be put off by it.

Now for as trivial as this is, I'm far more questionable of the motivations behind the people who did this, and some claims they've made (they are rather broad, though perhaps a translation issue). As to me, all I see is this fuelling the people who want to denounce today's games press because they dared to start occasionally discussing social and minority issues while covering gaming.

are you suggesting that a youtuber might create a "social experiment" to drum up outrage to increase their following with a specific demographic?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It was mostly smaller websites so painting it as the whole industry reporting it is dumb. I question the motives of the person who did it since it's usually Gamegaters who want to prove that gaming journalism is some big sham.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
You noticed that at the end of the OP, I put the debate on how to incentivize good journalism work. Today there are not a lot of incentives to go the extra mile and the rising number of outlets is making speed more valuable than reliability sadly.

There's also, for the most part, no kind of actual journalistic training for these outlets. Most of the people running these stories didn't get a journalism degree, so they didn't have things like "following sources" beat into their head.

It's enthusiast press. I mean it would be nice if all of them were Jason Schreier or Patrick Klepek, but this industry doesn't pay well enough to get a lot of quality journalists.

So this is what we're stuck with.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Rumours aren't posted about because of their veracity. They're just signal boosting chatter for those who follow it.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I remember Gamesradar peddling 4-chan nonsense about Elden Ring ("Great Rune" anyone?) a while back too, without citing sources. SMH.
Now for as trivial as this is, I'm far more questionable of the motivations behind the people who did this, and some claims they've made (they are rather broad, though perhaps a translation issue). As to me, all I see is this fuelling the people who want to denounce today's games press because they dared to start occasionally discussing social and minority issues while covering gaming.
This is quite the leap. I'm a native French speaker and I see nothing in the tweets indicating anything like that.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It was mostly smaller websites so painting it as the whole industry reporting it is dumb. I question the motives of the person who did it since it's usually Gamegaters who want to prove that gaming journalism is some big sham.
I don't think, he's French and two of the biggest French outlets reported on the news.

His goal was more to discole these kind of bad practices while giving examples of small outlets that do a good journalism work (like XboxSquad).

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
If you work in video games journalism, you have X amount of time to produce Y content, and generally for a shit salary. That doesn't excuse journalistic integrity, but for something as trivial as a leaked games listing, I'm really not going to be put off by it.

One of the byproducts of gamergate that upset even the targets of that shit was how it would lead to less legit criticism of games press because it would get lumped in with this shit. And look what you are doing...

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think it's unreasonable to ask that individuals working in gaming journalism spend more than 30 seconds looking at and questioning the things they plan to report on.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Is games journalism worth testing anyway? Beyond misquoting a person I'm not sure why someone should give a shit.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I remember my "Sony removed Death Stranding's exclusive status off the official PlayStation site" thread and subsequent 300 word PROOF™ as to why the game was coming to PC being lauded by console warriors across the internet and sourced in a bunch of articles. From high-profile outlets like GameSpot and IGN no less.

I also sometimes see some articles made from the words of those 'insiders' in the Nintendo Direct Speculation Thread although these are from more bush-league outlets.

Era really is a hotspot huh.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Stuff like this has happened to actual big websites though

Star Fox Grand Prix...

When Eurogamer doubled down on Pokemon Stars..

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
My big issue here is not being wrong (it can happen from times to times) but 0 sourcing from various outlets is really bad.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I mean...yeah?. Same shit has been going on for the past how ever many months with Elden Ring. A lot of journalists reporting on anything and everything that comes out of Reddit or 4chan while failing to source where they got said information or conclusions from. Then since it comes from a "legitimate" news outlet, people then take what they say as fact.

Elden Ring isn't a fucking norse game
Is it weird that the open-world bit is what caused me to call bullshit and not the Norse stuff

Still seems crazy that From are developing an open-world, we landed in the best timelines fellas

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
One of the byproducts of gamergate that upset even the targets of that shit was how it would lead to less legit criticism of games press because it would get lumped in with this shit. And look what you are doing...
There is valid criticism to be hard here, but this isn't a constructive or productive manner of going about it. This is some lame "gotcha", over something trivial, with a message that will likely resonate in some awful ways.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
In my country literally every sites are like this lmao, there was a time where i used to always correct one in particular, because the sales threads were always a mess in the ass. Then i gave up, obviusly...

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
There is absolutely nothing about this that has any correlation with gamergate, and it's disingenous to suggest that criticism of clickbait journalism should be shunned to avoid potential overlap with bigots.

EDIT: I didn't realise you'd already responded to the same thing above.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
There is valid criticism to be hard here, but this isn't a constructive or productive manner of going about it. This is some lame "gotcha", over something trivial, with a message that will likely resonate in some awful ways.
It is productive imo.

- It makes readers more careful when reading information
- It gave a lot of exposition to a small indie outlet that did a good journalism work
- It makes outlets more careful (JV.com deleted their article so the message was received), especially about sourcing their article.

xMM4nsonx

Nov 1, 2017
It seems a lot of outlets are simply using twitter / reddit / or forums like resetera as a news source. Ultimately making your average resetera poster the start and end of this industry's reporting, and that's not a good look.

Yeah, that's true. I was a news manager for IGN Italy, GameSoul (Gamestop private blog in Italy), VideoGamer Italy and GamesVillage. All the newser in Italy (and rest of the world, I suppose) get the news from ResetEra (previously NeoGAF), AllGamesDelta, Reddit and 4chan. That's it.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
🤷🏽‍♂️ Haven't really followed this much but aren't leaks from retail websites a fairly common spoiler/indication of unannounced and upcoming titles?

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
🤷🏽‍♂️ Haven't really followed this a much but aren't leaks from retail websites a fairly common spoiler/indication of unannounced and upcoming titles?
Yes but the listing never existed. It was a fake and some outlets reported on it as if the listing appeared on Amazon. Some of them even used Amazon as a source, whereas most of them didn't even have a source.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Really don't agree. All they had to do was provide their sources or do the bare minimum of checking* (reverse google image search, actually going to Amazon to see if the entry existed, etc.). Exposing the ultra-sloppy work of those sites is productive enough. They'll hopefully think twice about compulsively sharing clickbait in the future.

* Which is what XboxSquad did and they aren't some big site.

Hell I expect more from Era forum posts tbh xD

My big issue here is not being wrong (it can happen from times to times) but 0 sourcing from various outlets is really bad.
Yup

🤷🏽‍♂️ Haven't really followed this a much but aren't leaks from retail websites a fairly common spoiler/indication of unannounced and upcoming titles?
The retail listing was fake, that's the entire point. Those sites didn't even look on Amazon itself to see if the listing was real. The pic was fabricated.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It is productive imo.

- It gave a lot of exposition to a small indie outlet that did a good journalism work
- It makes outlets more careful (JV.com deleted their article so the message was received), especially about sourcing their article.
Perhaps, but i'd argue it being handled in this manner is quite irresponsible. If this was done in good faith, then so be it.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
That's the state of the world in 2020. You have to be fast or twitter and the other sites will take all of your eyes and money. It's basically devolved into report first ask questions later.

Sucks, but journalists saw it coming a decade ago and lamented it the entire time. There just isn't a good way to fix it.
There's one but people are too afraid to do it: kill all social media. Facebook, Twitter, IG, Snap, Tumblr, you name it. Most if not all of those juggernauts have repeatedly shown us they 1) gladly sell your private data to the highest bidders and 2) don't have a problem acting as a vessel for propaganda. I could rant all day long about how social media is the #1 public enemy of our current social hivemind. It's unregulated and very dangerous.

10 years ago FB and social media started really encroaching into our lives. Even the damn POTUS uses Twitter as a loudspeaker to spill disinformation. Yet everything seems fine according to politicans. Also, GAFAs are now actually more powerful than governments, go figure. All that to say the current wave of yellow journalism is mostly due to the nature of our daily lives, i.e. ain't got time to do a proper job and must run any stories for the clicks.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Yes but the listing never existed. It was a fake and some outlets reported on it as if the listing appeared on Amazon. Some of them even used Amazon as a source, whereas most of them didn't even have a source.

🧐 Aah I see. That is pretty shoddy, but not surprising unfortunately. It's all about being first to get the clicks. Accuracy and authenticity take a back seat.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So some amazon listing was faked but the game itself is totally real and everything else that was leaked about Ragnarok is real? Good one, guys!

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
That's why I'm amazed that games journalism is still a job.

Just pivot to entertainment and let the bots write the news.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
There's always a group of people thinking this sort of stuff matters. It doesn't. Nobody is going to remember this thing being done to own the journalists. I already forgot about it and I'm in the thread typing about it right now.

People really need something better to do with their time. Maybe they should try something productive.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
There's always a group of people thinking this sort of stuff matters. It doesn't. Nobody is going to remember this thing being done to own the journalists. I already forgot about it and I'm in the thread typing about it right now.
Providing reliable information doesn't matter ? I don't get your point.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't know if I blame them though since retailer leaks are not uncommon and the news goes along with previous info on AC Ragnarok. Now, if it was something out of the blue like Mass Effect 5, then I'd be more critical of the news outlet

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing this does is make people more likely to doubt good journalists. People aren't going to differentiate between who reported on this and who didn't, they're just going to go "You can't trust these guys,they don't know wtf they're talking about" and lump Jason (who's rarely ever, ever wrong) into the same boat as the dorks who thought reporting on this was smart.

Someone will even say it's different and Jason (or another person who's almost never wrong) didn't report on this, but it won't matter. Those people will deflect and still say you can't trust the news media.

People following the super small sites will continue to 'cause they just want the hype, this won't affect them at all.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018

People really need something better to do with their time. Maybe they should try something productive.
Maybe those websites, editors, and journalists will remember and think to take a little more time to source their stories, or research what they report. Positive change being somewhat ineffective with immediate results does not mean we should just not try, or not expect improvement.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

Seems pretty productive to me. Things only 'improve' if their mistakes are highlighted. This is highlighting those mistakes - even if it does kind of come across as a sting operation. It probably costs so much money and time for employees who have to manage these sorts of 'rumors' and 'speculation' stories that gets perpetuated by careless games journalism. If said places are now going to take that extra moment to verify things, it just improves the situation for everyone. Everything is gained, nothing is lost. Especially since it seems nobody is going to lose their job over this.

While I completely understand where you're coming from when you say it "will resonate in awful ways...." Video game journalism isn't some protected class that we can't legitimately criticize when they make mistakes out of fear of shitty gamers who will always leverage any and everything to curb industry progressiveness no matter what. They'll do that regardless.

It is productive imo.

Yep. As I said, it seems like nobody will lose their job over this, and the story seemed pretty innocent to begin with. An Ass Creed game that we all know Ubisoft pumps out anyway. Imagine if the story was something more controversial, with more serious implications - and some of the media ran with it without verification or fact checking - that could have been dangerous. Better for lessons learned all around on something a bit innocent then for this not to happen and be a big problem for a bigger story down the road.

Last edited:

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Video game journalism is a joke, news at 11.
VIdeo gaming journalism has always been a joke

Generalizing the results of this strange experiment to reach this conclusion is pretty shitty when we have actual good journalists posting on these boards and even in this thread. I agree there are problems - mostly what gets actually labelled as journalism - but there are really hardworking people putting out very good work at Kotaku, Eurogamer, Waypoint and Ars Technica, just to name a few, that don't deserve to get lumped in with this.

Last edited: