• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
[edit: senior is a term for an experienced developer, you know]

This is the first time I'm in the role of recruiter instead of the applicant for a position, so I really want to make it fair and hire the best person as possible, possibly someone who is just out of school and not really experienced; our requirements are very simple and bare, we do not require past experience, we just want someone who is able to participate in code reviews possibly in person and will work from remote, without disappearing for weeks like some ugly experiences we had in the past. We've already received applications from seniors (developers), but I want to hire people who is young (or new) and that wouldn't have the same opportunities. There are already plenty of offers in my area for seniors (developers) too.

But this time, I receive the worst application I've ever seen. This candidate claims to be able to make "solutions that fit us like a fine bespoke dress" (literally wrote "tailor made" in the mail) by "deeply and intimately analyzing our business needs". They would improve our workflow, our quality of work, by cutting time. And their pay is literally three times of what a junior developer makes in my country. They sell "exclusive days" because their clients would get "the best attentions and the best price".

Their website breaks the GDPR and has 2 small examples of work, that might as well be outsourced. They have quotes from themselves and lavish phrases about how cool they are. Did I mentioned this is a candidate speaking in the majestic plural? And there is no mention in their curriculum about the actual requirements for the job.

I'm pissed.

First of all, I taught myself code. I never pretended to be a company to get some work.
Moreover, I never put in fake abilities in my curriculum vitae. I deeply dislike liars.
I'm sorry I can't offer a job to everyone. My fiancée has no job yet and has been discarded often in favor of shitty people.

Then some guy decides they're cool to come take the jobs for inexperienced people and even straight up try to bully out developers in the company. This is something that I've seen happening in the past: companies specialized in offering outsourced workers, head hunters, companies that straight up propose vertical solutions that would make my job obsolete as a CTO - though we have other projects where I'm fundamental anyway. Good thing we never really gave a fuck, and laugh instead about it. An outsourced solution will never have the personal and intimate connection with the project and business requirements, and we wouldn't ever replace our employees with companies.

I fucking hate this entire culture. I want to train a person and give them an appropriate job.

And if you ever read this know what not to do to get a job.

Last edited:

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Can you not...reject the application?

I don't get it. You got a bogus application and you're taking it personally.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
We've already received applications from seniors, but I want to hire people who is young and that wouldn't have the same opportunities.

Age discrimination is illegal in the EU.

Applications like that are part and parcel of any recruitment. I don't think you have the right temperament for this role.

Fergie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England m8.
Taking it too personal mate. You'll always get weirdo or crazy applications. Just ignore or reject it and move on.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to see you openly admit you engage in age discrimination. That legal in your country?

Deleted member 4208

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More or less any job position is going to get tons of spammy applications. It's no better in academia. I was on a hiring committee at a small school and couldn't believe the number of applications we got, most of which barely took the effort to copy and paste in the school name (if even that).

Edit:
We've already received applications from seniors, but I want to hire people who is young and that wouldn't have the same opportunities.

LOL This is illegal as all hell why are you copping to this here

OP
OP

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Interesting to see you openly admit you engage in age discrimination. That legal in your country?
Uh?

If you're 45 and you have a couple years of experience or changing industry, I have no problem.

Age discrimination is illegal in the EU.

Applications like that are part and parcel of any recruitment. I don't think you have the right temperament for this role.

Young = new in the industry. I guess it's unclear.

Btw, considering that in my country half of the youth is unemployed, it might be illegal to discriminate on age, but hoping to receive a proper application from someone who wouldn't have the same chances before the job is taken by someone in a safer socioeconomic situation probably is not (or this is the thought police?). We've put no mention of age in the offer.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
He clearly means hiring people new to the job instead of senior level employees that already have lots of experience.
It's clear after his edits, but my initial read also was that it was age-discrimatory, especially since he specified that he wanted someone "young" (which != "new.")

Also OP, if this this makes you "pissed," you need to take this much less personally.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Dudes just shooting his shot, he's sending the same stuff to many companies and one of them will bite. He'll be shit at the job, fuck a whole load of stuff up and move onto the next company. Just ignore him.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, you just read them, have a good laugh and toss them in the bin. I got a few when I was reviewing people for hire last year. Some of them are hilariously bullshit.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
[edit: senior is a term for an experienced developer, you know]

I want to hire people who is young (or new) and that wouldn't have the same opportunities. There are already plenty of offers in my area for seniors (developers) too.

Be careful saying that. In the US it would be considered age discrimination and could potentially open you an your organization up to liability. Not sure if EU has similar age discrimination laws.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
And yeah OP sorry, but everyone I talk to in every industry gets a lot of stupid shit like this.

My dad once got a resume from a teacher who used the entire cover page to rant about his girlfriend cheating on him with his old boss. Just paragraphs of rage and bitterness and hilarious jabs at the both of them. Stuff like "I knew she was interested in getting into leadership but apparently she also wanted leadership to get into her." It was so insanely unprofessional and yet amazing at the same time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Be careful saying that. In the US it would be considered age discrimination and could potentially open you an your organization up to liability. Not sure if EU has similar age discrimination laws.
No shit I know, it's the english language that sucks. The term in Italian doesn't exist or adopted the English one.

My dad once got a resume from a teacher who used the entire cover page to rant about his girlfriend cheating on him with his old boss. Just paragraphs of rage and bitterness and hilarious jabs at the both of them. Stuff like "I knew she was interested in getting into leadership but apparently she also wanted leadership to get into her." It was so insanely unprofessional and yet amazing at the same time.
jfc

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this annoys you, wait until you have a guy show up to their first day of work that you absolutely know wasn't the one who interviewed for the position. Then envision how happy you're going to be when you explain to management why you've got to take screenshots of applicants via a webcam interview from that point forward to ensure that another recruiting company isn't conning you.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018

Can't tell if brilliant and beyond giving a fuck, or too dumb to give a fuck.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And yeah OP sorry, but everyone I talk to in every industry gets a lot of stupid shit like this.

That's amazing. I mean, I'd never hire someone who did shit like that, but you got to appreciate the balls on someone who would pull that shit lol

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
My boss showed me a stupid application he got. The resume's big bold title was "I AM THE BEST :D" and then the rest was pretty typical resume shit but with a handful of grammatical errors.

We both shook our heads and then stuck it in the trash.

People think they're clever or funny, and sometimes they are, but there's a time and place.

OP
OP

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Are you gonna do it for them or what?
Seriously, let a guy vent about his job, doesn't mean he's incapable of doing it or close to a breakdown or w/e.
Almost every job has its unpleasant parts.
I think I should open a thread about the culture of outrage and how everyone is at your throat because that detail or that other detail, or the fact that I was kinda annoyed by a minor thing has suddenly turned into "fire this guy, he's not cold and logically thinking".

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it would be best if you hire somebody to take over your position and then you take the junior position.

OP
OP

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Maybe it would be best if you hire somebody to take over your position and then you take the junior position.
Yeah, I wish. A lot less problems when someone else has to handle all your deployment shit and answering tickets by themselves.
there's a lot of work incoming and you want to hire an inexperienced person and train them?
What part of "budget is small" is unclear? I love my job, but there is a lot to do.

Projects are also in pre-production now.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
If this annoys you, wait until you have a guy show up to their first day of work that you absolutely know wasn't the one who interviewed for the position. Then envision how happy you're going to be when you explain to management why you've got to take screenshots of applicants via a webcam interview from that point forward to ensure that another recruiting company isn't conning you.

Hold up. This needs more detail right here.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen some pretty pretentious resumes myself. Luckily, I screen that shit out pretty well because salary. If they're asking for way more than the budget you have, move one. That's actually the first thing I look at. No point in wasting anyone's time.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Era members can be wild on posting their job applications.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It goes both ways. There's tons of shitty new grad/junior level positions where they require 2/3+ years of experience in a broad diversity of languages/frameworks/tools.

Half the time, the people screening the applications don't know what they wrote down as requirements.

As a developer who is being forced to recruit, just throw the shitty resumes in the trash and move on with your day. You're already ghosting them anyway.