• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
won a large prize over $600 and had to give my SSN for a tax form that got filed for the next year. pretty standard practice. where does the declaration take you? if it is a industry-standard contract website, congrats on the money!

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I've never won even $5 from a sweepstakes.

Congratulations op!

So many games, so little time...

OP
OP
Chessguy1

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the congrats but still a bit skeptical :p

gonna research and try to contact people, but most likely going to submit the form tomorrow.

will of course keep you guys updated.

i didn't really intend to enter, i just wanted the ebay coupon, so if i really do get $10k holy shit.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
  • OP remembers entering this specific sweepstakes
  • The domain that sent the email is the same one that Ebay tells you to contact with questions about the sweepstakes
  • The email didn't get swallowed by a spam filter
  • Contests are required to ask for your SSN for prizes above a certain dollar amount, which this prize is.
it's legit

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
After taxes you get what? 3k?

Assuming OP makes a normal salary, it'd probably be about $6000 cash-in-hand, and then arguably a little more back in his tax returns (Assuming OP is an American tax payer somewhere in the $0-$250,000 range that is)w

Although, if the company is sending him a 1099 then they're probably not withholding taxes from it, so he might just be on the hook at tax time. I don't really know how small gift winnings like this work.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
I received an email from someone (nattyboy at gmail) named Nate who asked me to sign a petition asking some dude named Scott Morrison to stop mocking Christianity. I don't know who Scott Morrison is nor Nate so I deleted it right away.
My point is if it was me I'd delete that email too. I'm paranoid about inputting SSN online

OP
OP
Chessguy1

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
reached out to ebay on twitter about the contest and they did confirm the email for me kinda

lFTCRAR.png

filling out the form with my personal information right now.

this is looking damn good, oh my god. still haven't told anyone irl yet, but i think i might.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Don't
reached out to ebay on twitter about the contest and they did confirm the email for me kinda

lFTCRAR.png

this is looking damn good, oh my god. still haven't told anyone irl yet, but i think i might.
Don't tell anyone till the cash is in your account. Congrats on being 10 grand richer. How you gonna spend the cash?

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Assuming OP makes a normal salary, it'd probably be about $6000 cash-in-hand, and then arguably a little more back in his tax returns (Assuming OP is an American tax payer somewhere in the $0-$250,000 range that is)w

Although, if the company is sending him a 1099 then they're probably not withholding taxes from it, so he might just be on the hook at tax time. I don't really know how small gift winnings like this work.
Yeah I was gonna say. If they are handed the 10k and taxes haven't been withheld, be careful not to spend it all if you don't have enough saved up to pay the taxes on it.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

lFTCRAR.png

Well, congratulations. I guess that sometimes it pays not to be completely cynical. :)

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I know everything looks legit but there is something I could be missing -- that's why I asked. It's scary giving out this sort of information.

Here is the rest of the email.
Your SSN was probably already leaked by Equifax. You got nothing to lose 😄

Congrats on the dough! What are you going to spend it on? And don't say you're going to save it or pay off loans. That's lame.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you're going ahead. I was worried you were going to let fears keep you from your winnings.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I'm so jealous right now, I entered in that same contest, lol. Congrats on the potential winnings, OP!

OP
OP
Chessguy1

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
They replied to my documents and said it was approved and I will receive the prize within the guidelines outlined in the rules. (8-10 weeks?)

They also posted the official winners list with myself on it if you dig through their website.

oh happy day :)

I have to cover the taxes and i'll be honest I have more than 10k in savings so no i really need the money story from me, i'll probably get a new TV (i don't have HDR) and upgrade my PC and save the rest.

i have been kinda anxious since i won, ngl.

Last edited:

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we all agree this is scam to make this seem real and then email us through our resetera emails, right?

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm gonna start a legit sweepstakes but make it seem like a scam so no one will ever actually claim the prizes.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
They would only ask if you won. They wouldn't ask if you it was for a chance of winning. Either way I just find it hard to believe they're giving you this much money without a human being involved. There will be taxes. And they'd probably want a quote for PR.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Don't listen to all these jealous losers OP.

I'll tell you the same thing I told my royal Nigerian cousin when he e-mailed me an needed my credit card details. You gotta have trust to make money. That's what honest cash is built on.

And when he gets back to me about those millions in the trustfund, you and me are gonna be laughing our way to the bank!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome OP. Everything turned out better than expected.

Curiously, how do they have you cover the taxes? I know in shows like Price is Right, Wheel of fOrtune, etc. nobody takes the prizes, they take the cash equivalent of the prizes, because if you take the prizes you have to pay the tax on it, so unless you *need* a new car and have... $5,000 in cash ready for it, then most people can't afford to accept the prize, so tihey take the cash value and have the taxes deducted as income.

In the case of Ebay if someone was like "OH here's $10,000 in Ebay credits, but you have to give the government $4,000 in cash now..." then I'd really, like, kinda pause on that. I don't need $10,000 in crap from ebay more than I need $4,000 in actual cash to pay mortgage/daycare/bills/etc.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, so after taxes that's like $6000, do something cool with it, or invest it, or both? Congrats.

OP
OP
Chessguy1

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome OP. Everything turned out better than expected.

Curiously, how do they have you cover the taxes? I know in shows like Price is Right, Wheel of fOrtune, etc. nobody takes the prizes, they take the cash equivalent of the prizes, because if you take the prizes you have to pay the tax on it, so unless you *need* a new car and have... $5,000 in cash ready for it, then most people can't afford to accept the prize, so tihey take the cash value and have the taxes deducted as income.

In the case of Ebay if someone was like "OH here's $10,000 in Ebay credits, but you have to give the government $4,000 in cash now..." then I'd really, like, kinda pause on that. I don't need $10,000 in crap from ebay more than I need $4,000 in actual cash to pay mortgage/daycare/bills/etc.

I don't really know right now, they simply said i'm responsible for tax and they'll send me a 1099 form.

It's also cash, not an ebay gift certificate.

I'm surprised at how nonchalant this whole experience is. It was basically, you won, give us your address/ssn, and then 2 hours after i sent it, you are approved! expect your prize in 8-10 weeks or earlier, and that's literally the entire ordeal so far.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know right now, they simply said i'm responsible for tax and they'll send me a 1099 form.

It's also cash, not an ebay gift certificate.

I'm surprised at how nonchalant this whole experience is. It was basically, you won, give us your address/ssn, and then 2 hours after i sent it, you are approved! expect your prize in 8-10 weeks or earlier, and that's literally the entire ordeal so far.

Oh nice, if it's cash that solves my question.

They send you a 1099 form for "misc income," which you fill out and this prize company reports that as income to the Feds for you. When tax season comes along and you're doing your taxes you'll report that as income and then it gets flushed out with what you owe or what you get back from the feds.

For a one time thing it probably makes sense to square up next spring. If you get recurring misc income (if you're a contractor or freelancer) a lot of people pay quarterly tax payments instead of having one massive tax liability in the spring. When I did a lot of freelance I only did quarterly payments once, and other years, I just saved about 30% of my freelance income in a savings account specifically for taxes.

Check received.
OP
OP
Chessguy1

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
OXdW3Pl.jpg

received the check a few days ago, they sent it via UPS, required a signature. wanted to update this thread they are legit incase anyone else googles their email address and hits this thread. thanks to everyone that gave me the correct advice!