• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Title. Basically someone sent me a text saying they used prnt.sc/(any two letters) on Tiktok to get personal info and they found me.

Has my old address but my phone #, email, credit standing, education history, home owner status.

is this something I should be worried about? I didn't really see anything on google about these methods but this is a bit alarming.

As far as I can see no social, DL# or anything, but it was a part of a spreadsheet.

Update:

Ok so apparently, it's this trending thing on tiktok to type "prnt.sc/"2letter4numbers" in your browser and you'll get a random image.

so like prnt.sc/da1773 got me this image.

So it appears a recent screenshot of my personal info is just floating in the digital abyss and this person just happened to find it. Looking at the top of the screenshot it has a call center name and an assigned caller to me, so I'm guessing this is some telemarketer info that leaked.

I don't think anything malevolent is going on here. But still, I won't entertain it and have taken precautions.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
How is your tiktok account linked to stuff like your financials and education history?

I think your first steps are changing your passwords and security info on all your financial accounts for one.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
seems like basic shit you can get online. probably a new form of trying to fish for payoffs.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
How is that information on TikTok in the first place?

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Whitepages.com makes it easy and public to get phone numbers, addresses, etc—you can even pay for court records. If they have your name and email (which is easy to get these days thanks to leaks and hacks), they can get everything else. I wouldn't worry about it. Just change your passwords and disengage unless they threaten or ransom you. In that case, call the police. Otherwise disengage. You'll be fine

OP
OP
Haze

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
How is your tiktok account linked to stuff like your financials and education history?

I think your first steps are changing your passwords and security info on all your financial accounts for one.
Of
I don't even have a tiktok. I use my company's tiktok for work but that's about it. No personal info attached to that.

I didn't respond to them and they didn't ask for anything yet.
I did have a fraud alert on my credit card twice last week so that being so close to this is a bit worrying.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Continue to ignore the numbnut.

Then contact your credit cards and bank as a precaution. They'll monitor your activity for you for anything suspicious.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
All of that information can be found/bought fairly easily, so I wouldn't worry about it.

They'll get that information, or buy it for cheap, then try to see if they can cash out on it.

Nov 14, 2017
Tbh, that sounds like a bot intro. Normally on PSN you get 'hey, I found you via the people search'. I had an email conversation recently with a bot that claimed to have found me via some dating site.

If they have personal info, most likely the bot has that in a database. It's just looking for hits; if you keep on responding you might eventually get a human to play with.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah as others have said DON'T ENGAGE whatever you do. They are fishing for a response.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
Unfortunately this amount of information is relatively easily accessible via Google for lots of people. Scary yes but wouldn't worry, just ignore it. Trying to phish you. I Google my name and my phone and address show up in like the first result. Seems to be leaked via voter records. Just the world we in.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
This is a phishing campaign. Ignore. Also y'all, stop calling it "fishing". A similar one was rampant last year with a password you once used in achieved in a breach (mostly Adobe) . This is just the second step.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
This is a phishing campaign. Ignore. Also y'all, stop calling it "fishing". A similar one was rampant last year with a password you once used in achieved in a breach (mostly Adobe) . This is just the second step.

Yeah Jim Browning has a good video on this but I'm more familiar with this happening over email, text is a new one for me lol. OP you can check the email that's registered to tiktok here and see if it was compromised (which I'm going to guess that it is):

haveibeenpwned.com

Have I Been Pwned: Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach

Have I Been Pwned allows you to search across multiple data breaches to see if your email address or phone number has been compromised.

In fact check all your emails.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe change your passwords and activate 2factor authentication where you can. It might not matter in this instance, but it's all so important to have anyway.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Were you messaging this guy, by any chance?
handsome-muscular-shirtless-hunk-man-outdoor-in-city-setting-picture-id540984654

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I got an email one day claiming this person had installed a trojan on my PC, recounted one of my passwords and threatened to send a recording of me masturbating to my contacts if I didn't pay like 900 dollars in Bitcoin

I got a kick out of it and showed it to my coworker and asked her to please not get mad at me if she gets sent the video.

But really I wasn't worried, the password was a password I used but not one I used recently, and I don't have a webcam and the programs I had used that password on wouldn't allow anyone to install a trojan on my PC anyways. So I assume one of the mobile games I used at one point was compromised and rather than threatening to steal some useless mobile game account or something they decided to aim high and extort me on the hope I beat off in front of the computer and would be mortified if it was recorded. Nice try.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I got an email one day claiming this person had installed a trojan on my PC, recounted one of my passwords and threatened to send a recording of me masturbating to my contacts if I didn't pay like 900 dollars in Bitcoin

I got a kick out of it and showed it to my coworker and asked her to please not get mad at me if she gets sent the video.

But really I wasn't worried, the password was a password I used but not one I used recently, and I don't have a webcam and the programs I had used that password on wouldn't allow anyone to install a trojan on my PC anyways. So I assume one of the mobile games I used at one point was compromised and rather than threatening to steal some useless mobile game account or something they decided to aim high and extort me on the hope I beat off in front of the computer and would be mortified if it was recorded. Nice try.

Hahaha my friend got this exact scam a week or two ago but it threatened to send it to FB friends instead of the email contacts

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah Jim Browning has a good video on this but I'm more familiar with this happening over email, text is a new one for me lol. OP you can check the email that's registered to tiktok here and see if it was compromised (which I'm going to guess that it is):

haveibeenpwned.com

Have I Been Pwned: Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach

Have I Been Pwned allows you to search across multiple data breaches to see if your email address or phone number has been compromised.

In fact check all your emails.

I remember finding my Spotify username and password in plain text along with like 1000 other people's. Spotify assured me there was "no data breech" however.

And radaris or whatever that site is freaks me out.

Unfortunately MySpace was huge when I was in high school so some of that stuff is just out there.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty sure I got this exact same email recently. It was funny because it was clearly a standard email sent out en mass. The username and password combo was the only thing accurate in the entire email, everything else was either impossible (likewise, no web cam, also no contacts in that email), wrong, or too vague to mean anything.

That password was actually the first password I ever even used, back when I was using the same password for everything. It would probably be almost old enough to drive. I'd guess it was probably from a hack/leak of something Runescape related.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area

I actually got that exact one last week, though the email is now asking for $2000 in bitcoin. It's probably related to one of the many account breeches at one site or another over the years, which is why the passwords look legit but are usually real damn old.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Got the same ransom mail as some of you are mentioning. The password mentioned in the mail was an ancient one, so it's probably some kids digging up an old breached database. There were also several grammatical errors.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA

Holy crap I got the exact same email... twice. First one went to my spam folder but I occasionally check it to see if anything important got put in there by mistake. Noticed the first line had used a password I used to use a lot when I was younger, but have since deprecated so I knew it was bogus... also I don't have a webcam, so lol. Crazy to see that it looks like it must've come from the same security breach of a site from a long time ago.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I remember finding my Spotify username and password in plain text along with like 1000 other people's. Spotify assured me there was "no data breech" however.

And radaris or whatever that site is freaks me out.

Unfortunately MySpace was huge when I was in high school so some of that stuff is just out there.

Yeah that's fucking scary. I've had people try to log into my stuff but get blockaded by the glory that is 2 step auth lol. I was looking up data breaches over the years and man it's amazing how many companies have had them but I'd never even heard about them or seen them in the news anywhere.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland

I got this one a few weeks ago. I knew it was a scam and they had nothing but the idea was so amusing. I masturbate in bed with my laptop sitting on my chest. Like, go ahead and send videos of my awkward o-face from the neck up to whatever contacts you manage to find.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
White pages going online was such a bad mistake and continues to do so.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Holy crap I got the exact same email... twice. First one went to my spam folder but I occasionally check it to see if anything important got put in there by mistake. Noticed the first line had used a password I used to use a lot when I was younger, but have since deprecated so I knew it was bogus... also I don't have a webcam, so lol. Crazy to see that it looks like it must've come from the same security breach of a site from a long time ago.

That one was worldwide, i got it, my family as well etc.
We all are averse to webcams, so yeah.. useless.

It has to be from something very wide like an Amazon breach or something like that, since one of my family member is computer illiterate and it happened anyway.

Explanation
OP
OP
Haze

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Ok so apparently, it's this trending thing on tiktok to type "prnt.sc/"2letter4numbers" in your browser and you'll get a random image.

So it appears a recent screenshot of my personal info is just floating in the digital abyss and this person just happened to find it. Looking at the top of the screenshot it has a call center name and an assigned caller to me, so I'm guessing this is some telemarketer info that leaked.

I don't think anything malevolent is going on here. But still, I won't entertain it and have taken precautions.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017

I don't think the one who messaged you has ill intent, they likely just stumbled over your info by chance this way and wanted to give you a heads-up. You should probably message LightShot tho and get that screenshot removed.

OP
OP
Haze

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I don't think the one who messaged you has ill intent, they likely just stumbled over your info by chance this way and wanted to give you a heads-up.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too, esp since they didn't ask for anything or make any threats. They simply said "hey I did this and found info on you". In fact, the text itself reads

"Hey Haze, I found this trick on Tiktok where you can look up Prnt.sc/(any two letters)(any four numbers) and ran into some personal info. Just thought you'd like to know I found you."

Still, best not to even entertain it.

Mar 29, 2018

This website is shudder-inducing. So 21st-century it's ridiculous. A website where you can access a random screen from a random, personal/intimate scenario somewhere in the world...

I tried a couple of configurations out of curiosity and got a screengrab of a Russian person's C:/ drive hierarchy and a screengrab of a seemingly private conversation in French.

It seems like it could be a third party IMGUR-like service which has leaked a ton of stuff, perhaps used by various companies to take quick screengrabs.

OP
OP
Haze

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
This website is shudder-inducing. So 21st-century it's ridiculous. A website where you can access a random screen from a random, personal/intimate scenario somewhere in the world...

I tried a couple of configurations out of curiosity and got a screengrab of a Russian person's C:/ drive hierarchy and a screengrab of a seemingly private conversation in French.

It seems like it could be a third party IMGUR-like service which has leaked a ton of stuff, perhaps used by various companies to take quick screengrabs.

Are the just available when people use LightShot?

Mar 29, 2018
The website doesn't seem to have a browser functionality like IMGUR. You just capture the content and then it's on your hard drive, ala Dropbox? Or online. And then you link directly.

It could be that this / address simply allows you to look directly at pictures on their server? Seems way too basic to be true...

OP
OP
Haze

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The website doesn't seem to have a browser functionality like IMGUR. You just upload and then link directly from elsewhere. It could be it you use that / address you're simply looking at pictures on the server? Seems way too basic to be true...

I just search a random one and got a screenshot of Hanes's (the clothing brand) ad revenue report. This is insane.

Mar 29, 2018
I just search a random one and got a screenshot of Hanes's (the clothing brand) ad revenue report. This is insane.
Edited my post slightly. This is pretty bizarre:

The website doesn't seem to have a browser functionality like IMGUR. You just capture the content and then it's on your hard drive, ala Dropbox? Or online. And then you link directly.

It could be that this / address simply allows you to look directly at pictures on their server? Seems way too basic to be true...

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
LightShot is a screen capture program.
Once you take a picture you it uploads it and creates a unique URL. The URL isn't protecting and once people guess the algorithm people can view URLs that haven't been shared to them.

I would contact the company to get the picture taken down.