• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically if there's ever been any situation where you've done this.

I've... done it more than I care to admit. I tried out RE2make once and really didn't like it, traded it in, and then bought it again on sale only to come to the same conclusion.

I played and beat Spider-Man, sold it, and then for some reason felt really compelled to put it back in my collection. It's a fine enough game it's just why did I bother?

I tried three times getting into Nioh, third time being the digital deluxe edition, and not only do I still not like it but then physical copies of the game then dropped down $20 worth.

And now I'm considering selling my Switch copy of Tropical Freeze for the WiiU version, since the WiiU D-Pad is miles above the Switch's and the game still retails for full price.

TLDR: Come and confess your sins.

GART9000

Feb 23, 2019
Probably dozens of times. I also have a problem with double dipping on different platforms as well.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I don't really do this because I don't trade in games unless the very thought of playing it again fills me with dread. Fire Emblem Three Houses was the last one to make me feel like that and I don't ever intend to buy that again.

That said, it did happen once with Dragon Ball Z Budokai. I beat it and traded it in so I could get a new game (which ended up being Spider-Man the movie for the PS2). Bought it again a few months later when I got bored of Spider-Man.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I've bought games again that I've lost as a kid. Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories on GBA is the recent one. Lost my copy years ago and after trying the 3D version of it, I felt compelled to play the good 2D verison. 3D version sucks.

Never traded my games or sold them. I've given games away to family, and if I ends up wanting to play it again. I just buy it again. Tho that hasn't happen yet.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I've never sold a game, only to rebuy it later. But I have bought the same game from different regions. I bought the JPN version of Dark Souls (which was released first) and played that until the NA version was released. I was living in Japan at that time, and really wanted to place Dark Souls ASAP.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rebought a ton of 360 era games on PC over the years. Especially toward the end of that gen, a lot of them were huge upgrades.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have done this many times, but I couldn't tell you an exact number.

At the very least, to some relief of my shame, I very seldom do this at full price. I usually see a good sale price and go "well for that price I may as well give it another shot."

Oct 25, 2017
I'll do that on occasion if I buy a brand new console game. I'll trade it in if I play it right away and beat it. If I liked it enough, I'll wait till it hit's the Greatest Hits collection and maybe even buy it used after that point. So the cycle is buy it for $60, sell it for $30+ and rebuy it for $20 or less.

I am bad about double dipping, though.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I bought DMC4 at launch.
sold it because i was dissatisfied with it.

but the dmc itch came back.
re-bought it.

realised that even though the game is deeply flawed, it's combat is still amazing.
bought the remaster on PS4 and PC.

so i've bought the game 4 times.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
double/triple dipping through the years sure, but I've never rebought something I got rid of. But then again we dont have a culture of selling used games here so I guess thats why.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Usually if I've changed my primary system and there's noticeable upgrades to that version over the other version I previously had. Only when they are very cheap though.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I bought MGS Twin Snakes because a friend lost my first copy.

I bought Evil Within 2 twice, because i sold the first copy i needed money back when i sold it, but since it became one of my favorite games i had to buy it again.

And i own 2 cartridges of Hybrid Heaven and plan on buying every one i see on the wild.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Sold Sekiro because I couldn't beat Genichiro.
I bought the game again, three month later. Beat the shit out of Genichiro und finished the whole game within a week. It's my favourite From Game now.
I got my happy ending :)

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
I'm on my fourth purchase of Witcher 3 (Witcher 3 PS4, Witcher 3 GOTY PS4, Witcher 3 GOTY PS4 digital, Witcher 3 GOTY Switch digital)

Oct 25, 2019
Multiple releases of Ocarina of Time (original, Game cube collection disk, Wii shop etc.).

Between the Switch and Steam I've managed to end up with many of the same indie games across both, usually unintentionally lol

Last edited:

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I did this mainly when I went fully digital on Switch.
Sold the retail copies and got the digital version when they were on sale. I do that for most of the day one games, that way I can test the games and if they're not worth it, I don't get the digital version.
The vouchers changed that a bit, but I regret buying Astral Chain, I would have sold it if I didn't get it digital.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Same game on same platform ?

I sold Zone of the Enders 2 on PS2 and rebought it years later.

When my 360 died I sold all of my games ans rebought a few of them some years later when I got a new one (Armored Core 4 and for Answer, GRAW2, Splinter Cell Double Agent).

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Will the next XBox and PS5 have backwards compatibility? My PS2 bit the dust just recently and I've been debating selling most of the games on that system, save for the ones that have never been remastered.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Last one I remember is Street Fighter 5. Bought it at launch. Sold it and bought Arcade Edition later

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
I fell many time for the "... but on Switch" effect for the last two years. Either game I already finished but also some I didn't even start / like the first time. Switch is weirdly a nice "second chance console for me.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
The worst is when you buy a game and regret buying it for that platform and then buy it again on another platform only to not play it yet again. :S And it hurts when you spend full price on both.

Haven't done it for a while now, but regret spending that money.

Oct 25, 2017
When I sold my 360 I picked up DMC4 and Oblivion for PS3 because they were probably my favourite multiplats at the time.

This gen I sell most of my physical games once I beat them (Breath of the Wild and REmake 2 are the only ones I've held on to). I rebought RE7, Bloodborne, and FFXV digitally when they were heavily discounted. I also picked up The Witcher 3 again after a year to play the DLC.

The big one was that I sold my launch Switch for a profit when I finished BotW, and picked one up again the following black Friday.

All the games/systems I've rebought have been for less than what I sold them for, so I don't mind the practice even if it feels a bit silly.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This gen was the worst for me due to shifting to digital. I generally don't rebuy games but I've pretty much replaced all my early gen physical games at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Sleeping Dogs multiple times on different consoles and pc, same with witcher 3. I plan to buy it a 3rd time when the price drops for the switch version.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
The only game I re-bought is the Ace Attorney Trilogy, at the moment. The reason is that the 3DS version was digital and I wanted to have a physical version of the game, available for Switch.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Basically if there's ever been any situation where you've done this.

I've... done it more than I care to admit. I tried out RE2make once and really didn't like it, traded it in, and then bought it again on sale only to come to the same conclusion.

I played and beat Spider-Man, sold it, and then for some reason felt really compelled to put it back in my collection. It's a fine enough game it's just why did I bother?

I tried three times getting into Nioh, third time being the digital deluxe edition, and not only do I still not like it but then physical copies of the game then dropped down $20 worth.

And now I'm considering selling my Switch copy of Tropical Freeze for the WiiU version, since the WiiU D-Pad is miles above the Switch's and the game still retails for full price.

TLDR: Come and confess your sins.
Dude there are multiple entire franchises I own on every platform they are available for. I own the Witcher 3 on every console but switch and on gog and on two separate steam accounts though that last part was a mistake. I have horrible money habits even worse game buying habits.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I never sell my games so no.
Basically me. I'm also subscribe to a few bundle offers on and off to get a taste of what I want so eventually something I want will either end up on Humble Bundle/Monthly, Xbox PC Pass, Twitch Prime, or whatever else I haven't discovered yet.

Usually too busy dumping 40 hours a week into FFXIV I miss other games.

Deleted member 35941

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2017
I don't usually do this as I'm mostly a "one and done" kind of gamer and tend to keep my games. That said I have done it a couple of times this gen:

Bought GTA5 on 360, then on PS4, then on PC, gave PS4 version to my brother, then stopped playing on PC...so bought it again on PS4!

Got Witcher 3 on PC, then after I stopped playing there got it on PS4.

Can't live without those two games in my collection :-)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I used to only do it to get 8-bit/16-bit games that I no longer have the consoles for, on newer/portable hardware. These days I occasionally double dip to get more recent home-console favourites on a portable too, like Skyrim.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Well this gen has been a lot of repackaged games from yesteryear either remade or ported so yes I have technically rebought those games again. I've not personally rebought games on the same platform of its original release though. I like to keep most games digital now since I've acculumated a lot of games over the years and don't really sell off games I like (even as a 7/10), anything less than a 7 gets sold or sent to charity shops etc and I've not ended up regretting it since there's so much to play anyway.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I've done it more times than I care to admit. It's even worse with consoles. I've sold and rebought the Wii U, Ps2 and gamecube multiple times, I bought the xbox one X twice for dirt cheap prices only to realize it was redundant with a decent gaming PC around. Most times I broke even or with the X even sold at a profit. But yeah, really weird habit of mine.

That said, as I'm 100% digital on Ps4 (and PC of course) that more or less saves me from my compulsive tendency to sell something that I end up craving months/years later. I wait till the game is under $20( several ps4 retail games have been purchased under $10, and a lot of sub $5 on steam) so I just consider that throwaway cash in the same manner I view a $5 cup of Starbucks.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Only do it to format shift to a preferred system if it comes out later. Former console exclusive comes to PC and I feel like playing again then I'll get it there.

Never done it with literally the exact same game unless it's one of those PC bundle duplicates that I just give away.

Jun 2, 2019
If i don't count the sheer amount of games i had to sell on the recession due to lack of money that i'm buying again, then...

I bought Grid Autosport twice, once in PC and once on Switch

Bought The Witcher 3 on PC once, refunded it and got it again last week taking advantage of the The Switcher promo

Can't think about anything else

Thriftweed

Nov 2, 2017
I bought Final Fantasy XIII at launch on Xbox360 but traded it in not long after due to not liking it. Bought it again on PS3 a few years later as I wanted to give it another shot and this time got further in the game, but again traded it in due to not really enjoying it.

I keep getting the battle theme stuck in my head which is urging me to buy it for a third time to see if I can actually get through to completion this time..

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Bought Resident Evil 5 on Xbox360.
Xbox Red Ringed, and I live in a place with no Microsoft support. Tried fixing it and made it worse.

So I bought RE 5 again on Ps3.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like GTA 5 must be the most repeatedly purchased game ever.

How are people still buying it !?

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I got a new copy of Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land for the GBA because I lost my old copy somehow during a move. The cartridge just went missing.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
i never sell my games, but i rebought few times because the disc wasn't working anymore (my son either scratch it or broke it)

- No Man's Sky (PS4), rebought digitally
- Rise of Tomb Raider (PS4), rebought digitally
- Uncharted 2 (PS3)
- Heavenly Sword (PS3)

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Rebuying games? Probably never.

Double dipping on the other hand...

Edit:
Actually, I'm lying. I just remembered I sold my physical copy of Xenoverse 2 to a friend all so I could re-buy it digitally when it was on a massive sale.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I generally don't sell games, so not really any. I think I re-bought some NES games, though, as I sold a bunch of those after my last NES broke down.