• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Reboot time: Which one are you looking forward the most?

• Fable

Votes: 586 69.7%
  • Perfect Dark

Votes: 255 30.3%

• Total voters

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Fable. I like Perfect Dark, but there's a pretty damn good collection of first person shooters already out there. Given that Playground is the rumored studio working on Fable also gets me excited

GovernWort

Prophet of Truth
Feb 20, 2020
Fable for me.

I also hope they bring back Kameo and turn it into a Metroidvania. It could be cool to use the transformations to unlock new areas etc.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Fable feels safer since imo it never had as bad a slump as PD Zero, but a new Perfect Dark with strong creative direction and development talent could be amazing.

Fable feels like it has an easier time getting by with decent impressions where Perfect Dark feels like it has firecracker potential (for better or for worse).

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Fable feels safer since imo it never had as bad a slump as PD Zero, but a new Perfect Dark with strong creative direction and development talent could be amazing.

Fable feels like it has an easier time getting by with decent impressions where Perfect Dark feels like it has firecracker potential (for better or for worse).
PD Zero was one game though. Fable got worse with each release as if they didn't really know why people liked it. I think PD has a much better chance of getting it right despite zero being worse than any Fable game. I feel like another Fable release will be mediocre whereas Perfect Dark will either be great or shit (like your firecracker analogy). I'd rather take the risk than be stuck with a mediocre Fable again (but then again, it's not my money if they release another bomb like zero).

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see what Perfect Dark adds to the catalogue that you don't already have. You have Gears, you have Halo.. is there really a need for another first party shooter when demand for shooters are not nearly what they were in the 360 era?

The games are really not that similar and to the extend there's an overlap in the target audience, I'd see that as a strength. It's no different than when you see that silly Sony meme about all their games being variants of the same third person game. Not only is it wrong since the games play and unfold completely differently, but if they attract a certain demographic it doesn't have to be a weakness. It means the platform might become essential to those people.

I liked it when Microsoft published stuff like Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon and some Fable games last generation, in the same way as I look forward to them being better in the western RPG genre next generation with Obsidian, Inxile and Playground's second team. It makes them strong in a category, just like having Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi and Kirby makes Nintendo strong in another. Games that even in their 2D versions play radically differently, but might appeal to a specific segment of the market. 2D Mario, 2D Donkey Kong and 2D Yoshi might look similar to non-genre fans, but they're every bit as different as Halo, Gears and Perfect Dark.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
I guess my only question for the folks wondering if older IP have room to grow and become big is that did God Of War hold such regard 6-7years ago when ascension launched? I know several fans of the new one who didn't even know that ascension existed.

Oct 28, 2019
Perfect Dark was a classic. I'd love to see the series return. I never liked the style of Fable RPGs so eh on that one.

Labyrinthe

Mar 12, 2018
Do a Conker reboot instead. Don't waste time and money on both of them, they were overrated.

Conker in the world of social media, Tinder and Covid-19.

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
What Perfect Dark rumor?
And of course, Fable can be more interesting, even though it will be Fable in name only.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Perfect Dark. Initial concept was ahead of its time. Let's pretend PDZ didn't exist....because that wasn't really a Perfect Dark game.

Perfect Dark was all about dynamic gameplay. It pulled that off on the N64. One of the highest metacritic games ever. Choices and options.

Joanna was a female James Bond in a Cyberpunk Sci-fi setting. I'm thinking of a Mashup between MGS, James Bond and Tomb Raider. So much cool shit you can do in a 3rd person, stealth-action, spy gadget, sci-fi, cyberpunk, dynamic world....with Elvis. Can't forget about Elvis.

Looking forward to a fantastical, whimsical Fable reboot as well.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect Dark for me. I really loved the N64 game to death and even though the big rumor is that this will be more like a third person Uncharted style game, I'm 100% down for more of the PD universe.

Ideally, they'd get Kirkhope back to do the music, because the PD soundtrack is way overlooked compared to his Banjo stuff.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I trust Playground to get something right with the Fable franchise. Just seeing the landscapes they created for Horizon has me imagining the possibilities and them being located in the UK also makes me think they will "get" the humor and cheekiness required for a Fable game.

If it was transformed into something on the scale of Oblivion, I would think that would be a real treat.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I know exactly what Fable is and you can easily see how they would develop a next gen version

I have no idea what a new Perfect Dark would be. In fact, I'm not sure what makes up a Perfect Dark game anymore as the good one mostly thrived off of being a console FPS before they were popularized. Everything that made Perfect Dark unique has long since been absorbed into the entire genre.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I love immersive sims and stealth games so if they make a Perfect Dark in that vein, it would totally be my jam. Who knows if they are even making a new Perfect Dark though. I am very much looking forward to the new Fable though and I trust Playground so I guess that.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fable, although I want Perfect Dark more then any other shooter not named Halo!

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
The day Blinx 3 gets announced will be the end of the console wars.

But seriously, I want a new Perfect Dark game more than Fable, even though I REALLY want a new Fable.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I guess my only question for the folks wondering if older IP have room to grow and become big is that did God Of War hold such regard 6-7years ago when ascension launched? I know several fans of the new one who didn't even know that ascension existed.

I think many associate those old games with their studios, but Playground and The Initiative are much different studios and I think these games will end up being much more ambitious than the originals.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I'll be honest I surprised my self and said Perfect Dark. I know, am I okay?

My logic is its zero stakes. I liked the N64 Perfect Dark, but I only really played it with friends or at friends houses. Fable is my all time favorite game, I have Fable tattoos. So I'm gonna be more critical of Fable and if they do or don't do certain things I won't like it as much as I could have.

Perfect Dark though? Bad ass sci-fi female James Bond? Sold. Do whatever you want, I'll try it out and if it's good I'll probably like it.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Fable (actually I'm very deeply hoping for it to not be Fable or at least a different direction in terms of story and world building for Fable).
As a fan of Perfect Dark on the N64 days, I would say the series doesn't need to come back. If MS is up to make a sci-fi third person action stealth game, I'd rather they make a new IP (if it's not sci-fi, even better).

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I mean, by this logic it is also weird to say you are excited because you liked the previous games.

Nah. Overarching story and genre usually remain similar. Same IP.
Plus you can also take a look at the pedigree of the studio working on it.

For example, Despite widespread apathy towards God of War Ascension, people still went crazy for Kratos in the God of War reveal at E3.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Perfect Dark. Initial concept was ahead of its time. Let's pretend PDZ didn't exist....because that wasn't really a Perfect Dark game.

Perfect Dark was all about dynamic gameplay. It pulled that off on the N64. One of the highest metacritic games ever. Choices and options.

Joanna was a female James Bond in a Cyberpunk Sci-fi setting. I'm thinking of a Mashup between MGS, James Bond and Tomb Raider. So much cool shit you can do in a 3rd person, stealth-action, spy gadget, sci-fi, cyberpunk, dynamic world....with Elvis. Can't forget about Elvis.

This !!

People in here asking what does Perfect Dark bring to the Xbox IP table.

Perfect Dark fills the James Bond espionage void that there isn't enough of currently. Lead female character that earned the nickname 'Perfect' from bulls-eye accuracy and mission infiltration. It was rumored that this new titles is just named "Joanna" which is her first name and I guess a nice hint to a reboot of sorts. We'll go through the journey of how she earned the 'Perfect' moniker

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I should be more excited for Perfect Dark, and all else being equal, I would be. But I don't know whether Rare, Initiative, Coaltion or a third party is making. Fable, while I don't love Albion as much as PD's world (I still like it), is all but confirmed to be from fucking Playground. I cannot wait to see what they do with an RPG.

Point goes to Fable

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Fable from Playground Games has way more potential than anything Perfect Dark related.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Fable is always supposed to be better than it ever ends up being. I'm way over it.

I don't know what Perfect Dark could bring to the shooter-scape at this point, but I'd love to see it reborn as the first next gen immersive sim.

Edit: Or, if it's supposed to be third-person, then definitely Perfect Dark.