• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Unboxing my new toys, playing games with short load times and high framerates, upgraded BC games, and new games of course.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Because with no secondary system like the 3ds anymore that means that the next Culdcept title will definitely be playable on the big screen again. It tends to release a title every 5 years or less so I am hopeful sometime in the next 2 years itll announce a title since Culdcept Revolt hit in oct 2017.

Yes Culdcept is a big deal and system seller overseas. It had its own dedicated Nintendo Direct and it also has had Goligan and its music featured in Smash Bros several times in different games.

Other than that...Killer Instinct, KOF, BFTG and Marvel. All other things are a happy extra.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Personally I'm not actually excited for Nextgen yet, but (!) I am super excited to see how this all will pan out. For the first time in ages, at least to me it feels like Xbox did almost everything right and is off to a fantastic start into a new generation. Sony being all secrety also makes it way more exciting than all this stuff has any reason to be lol. I'm curious about how much Sony has to undercut their initial price to compete, if that is even necessary to compete, what the hell Nintendo has up their sleeves, if there actually will be an Xbox Series V somewhere, when we finally will get the final reveals and more games and gameplay, how PC will go forward with those new NVidia cards, and so many other things.

So while I am in fact, excuse me OP, not at all exciting to get my hands on any of these things until like a year in maybe, I am still super excited to see how this jump will turn out for everyone else and for the generation as a whole. It's such a weird atmosphere surrounding all of this and this makes it more interesting to me.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Horizon, I can't wait! Seriously think it'll be the best thing ever.
Dualsense, super excited to see what it's like.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Improved frame rates for games like Destiny 2 and Siege.

I'm more excited about that than any next gen game at the moment.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Just feels like both machines are so much more capable than the previous gen change. Looking forward to seeing what developers can cook up! I'm very much ready for 30fps to be a thing of the past on console too although that seemingly wont be the case

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Loading Times
Ray Tracing
Pure 4K Resolution
DualSense

DE5D93AD64BF9F5865441937672DD5B5B0C54B7E

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
SSDs, faster loading is awesome. No more getting up to take a piss while an area is loading. Gotta keep a bottle handy now.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
Decreased load times are probably one of the biggest things I'm excited for honestly.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much everything except the graphics. Games already look good enough to me.

but to be more specific: short loading times, new controllers, better audio, (hopefully) new game design paradigms, better VR (this actually needs visual improvements). The unknown things that no one has thought about yet excites me

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
Finally getting rid of mechanical drives. I can't believe PS4/Xbox One were designed with mechanical drives in mind. Mechanical drives are one of the most serious bottlenecks in so many systems. We were so late in adopting SSDs in consoles we are going straight to M2 form factor.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Honestly, all the games that are coming out next-gen look absolutely fantastic. Even the ones that look like duds look great. And I'm not just talking about graphics (though they're fine as they are) but honestly gaming has improved since I started my hiatus away from gaming and I can't wait to see how it continues to improve.

Now, the business practices are shit, but they've always been that way.

Oct 27, 2017
Guilty Gear is only the beginning. How are all the next-gen fighting games going to look and feel compared to their current gen counterparts?

Especially now that they all seem to be receptive to crossplay and rollback.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Elimination of load times for me.

Just stuff like being able to fast travel with no loading sounds amazing to me.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
SSD + CPU + GPU = Sony 1st party magic.

Those studio's are going to be immense this coming generation.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
First party games that takes advantage of the new hardware, especially the SSD loading times. I"m curious to see how much of a game changer it's gonna be.

Dec 16, 2017
-Better Graphics
-Faster Loading
-New Controller
-Rachet and Clank, new Spider-Man, new Horizon, Demon Souls remake and whatever Naughty Dog eventually releases
-Faster framerates 🤞
-Quieter Sony system 🤞

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
It's an event that's only happened a few times in my lifetime, it always brings new tech, better graphics and new possibilities.

This one is by far the worst and least exciting though, I'm just barely interested.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
To be honest, I'm perfectly happy with the base PS4. The only thing hurting me are the damn loud fans..

Beside that, it's probably the SSD creating new forms of gameplay by cutting the masked loading time events.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Just the fact that we have a new, much more solid technical base for games is really exciting to me.

Especially, the presence of a good modern CPU and SSD (with a much more modern GPU architecture) makes me believe that it will remove tons of shackles in game design to deliver quality games. I still believe we are far from realizing how good it will be for the games we will play in a couple of years (with already good indications with some next-gen exclusives early on). This might not be something that will take form immediately, but I am confident we will see amazing things out of that, which were not possible with the old consoles as a baseline.

Next to that, those systems will give really options to make an even better general experience, with multiple « suspend and resumes » that you can cycle through almost instantly. That is great. And that is actually the part that really makes me want to jump in earlier.

The prospect of having improved controllers with new features (Dual Sense mostly in this case though) is great as long as devs use it well.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I love the generational leap in visual technology the new gen brings, and I can't wait to be done with long load times. They really killed my motivation to play a bunch of games this generation.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've cared a little less about graphics capability as time has gone on with gaming. Not that I don't care it's just other QoL stuff I would care more about.

The loading times, the quick resume stuff between a bunch of games. It's also fun to get a new system UI with the new gens.

lilty

Oct 25, 2017
New Brunswick
SSD and the DualSense are the biggest things for me aside from games. The SSD is a legitimate game changer and the DualSense form factor looks to be the best Sony has put into a controller. As much as I love their consoles, their controllers have always felt off to me. The DS4 was a step in the right direction but in comparison to the Xbox and Switch Pro controller it's still lacking in my opinion.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Basically everything, except the hassle of choosing when and how to pick up the new hardware. I want to pace myself, and I want good deals.

New generations are exciting. They mark a period of renewed competition and innovation. Lots of cool new shiny things to look forward to. And the games will only get better as devs become more familiar with the hardware, and the influence of the prior generation fades.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I like games and I want to play more games. New games will come out in the future and I'm excited for them.
Sort of feels like enough for me.

Oh, and I started ignoring like 300% more people since talk of next gen started and fanboys started becoming more obvious, so my Era experience has really improved!

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Looking forward to a more modern user experience. I expect, nay demand, a super slick hiccup free UI. The CPU and SSD (PS5 especially) should mean jumping in and out of games and apps the same way I do on my phone. Stuff like capturing screenshot and clips and sharing them is really sluggish on my Pro right now, looking forward to features like that being instant and buttery smooth.

After that the DualSense sounds like a game changer for tactile interaction with my games at a level we've never experienced before.

And then after that is the games and experiences we're going to get a few years down the line. Stuff we simply cannot even imagine. I think the Unreal Engine 5 demo gave us a glimpse of that. Truly a new look and feel to game graphics that ups everything to a new level of realism and scale. Shit is going to be insane.

renx

Jan 3, 2020
Whenever I play a game like TLOU 2, Bloodborne, Spiderman, I can't help but think "I can't even imagine what they will do with a 5 or 10 times more powerful hardware".
That's the main reason. It only gets better.

Talking about something specific, on PS5 I bet the IO throughput will be a game changer to the point that Nvidia and Microsoft needed to improvise their own.
But it can't be used on PC in efficient ways, due to the multiple PC tiers and configurations.
This particular PS5 spec makes me remember the times when consoles were clearly better than PCs for gaming.

Last edited:

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for how game design will change now that a lot of the bottlenecks from current gen have been eliminated or greatly reduced thanks to the new CPU tech and SSDs. I hope haptics will result in improved game feel, especially for combat focused games. I'm also excited for better sound.

Mostly I'm interested in seeing how all this will affect existing franchises I like and my experience with them, since my interest in new IPs is usually tech agnostic.

Sadly, all of this is tempered by the fact that Sony, MS, Nintendo et al are using components made in factories where Uighur slave labor exists.
Thankfully I don't really have a lot of money atm, which makes buying the new hardware easier to resist.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Theres a difference between a gen and a launch.

For obvious reasons the launch is a bit muted and I feel so sorry for MS that halo had to be pushed (but also they shouldn't have only had one launch exclusive on the cards), but that would have been super exciting of spider man vs halo for the launch battle, especially with MS aggressive pricing.

But you gotta think about the next few years:

The SSD thing with PlayStation is a genuine gamechanger and is the first time for a long time we'll get games that couldn't be done on previous gen just at lower res.

Gamepass is really nestling in as this fantastic service that everyone respects and wants and I think will create new audiences and types of games.

DLSS 2.0/2.1 is astonishing on PC, and if its baked in a switch 2 could be an incredible leveller for multi platform ports and make switch2 an even more interesting platform.

VR tech is getting REALLY good (DLSS will help that too) and the price will come down as the fidelity goes up as more companies get involved with the tech

And even if youre not personally into streaming (I'm not, not really anyway) those services make the accessibility of gaming easier, which market bigger, which brings in more development and ultimately gives us more games

Its a fantastic time to be a gamer!

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I've loved gaming on PC but I'll be happy to pick up a new console without worrying about my graphic card falling behind the times, looking forward to Elden Ring and Cyberpunk, haven't owned a Sony system since PS2 so that'll be cool.