• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should I do??

• Jesus was tempted and he said no! 🙏

Votes: 903 82.5%
  • Think of the sweet, sweet fast SSD load times 😈

Votes: 192 17.5%

• Total voters
Mar 3, 2018
I've been trying to get a PS5 since launch. Keeping up to date with restocking websites, twitters and friends who are in the same boat. It's getting really frustrating seeing them sell instantly whenever a few units drop.

I'm in canada, and have noticed some resellers aggressively pricing them because they have been hoarding units and I guess no one is buying them at $1k anymore. I found a bunch of resellers selling them for $750-$800. After tax the PS5 retails for around $720 here in canada so that's not a huge markup like it was at 1000-1500, but man, I still don't wanna support them. And hate that my mind is trying to justify it.

it's hard to resist specially with the pandemic, and having to stay indoors a lot and so on. I'm also aware what a huge first world problem this is.

era, give me strength to resist this temptation😖

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't give those scum money, therefore supporting their shitty business practices. That and if you get ripped off, there's not much you can do as shown in a previous thread here. Just don't do it and wait until fall. You're not missing much outside of Demon Souls (a remake of a PS3 game) at this point.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
It's your money, do what you want with it. If you don't want to be tempted, stay off resell sites.

If money isn't a problem and you want to buy it, go for it. Just be careful.

Last edited:

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
There's literally no next gen games aside from Demon's and even then that's just a remake

The qol on both consoles for the OS/BC games is absolutely amazing but not worth spending scalper money for

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
If you're willing to pay more - just get one of the bundles that go in stock every few days. They tend to stay in stock longer. You're still ultimately paying $600-$750 just to get the console now - but at least that extra money is applied to extra stuff.

I bought a $600 GameStop bundle that included an extra controller (not needed, but always nice to have a backup), a year of PS Plus, and $70 in credit ($50 for PSN, $20 for GameStop).

_Jelly_fish

Oct 5, 2019
Melbourne
I've been trying to get a PS5 since launch. Keeping up to date with restocking websites, twitters and friends who are in the same boat. It's getting really frustrating seeing them sell instantly whenever a few units drop.

I'm in canada, and have noticed some resellers aggressively pricing them because they have been hoarding units and I guess no one is buying them at $1k anymore. I found a bunch of resellers selling them for $750-$800. After tax the PS5 retails for around $720 here in canada so that's not a huge markup like it was at 1000-1500, but man, I still don't wanna support them. And hate that my mind is trying to justify it.

it's hard to resist specially with the pandemic, and having to stay indoors a lot and so on. I'm also aware what a huge first world problem this is.

era, give me strength to resist this temptation😖
If you can justify it to yourself financially I wouldn't honestly be that upset at you for buying it through a reseller. While it is kind of scummy to be buying a ps5 through a reseller its not your fault that the stores, manufacturers and PlayStation themselves seem to be totally okay with scalpers buying them up so that players are not able to buy them. The system itself is broken and unfortunately its left a lot of us in the dust when it comes to actually being able to use and buy the products that we want

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
To play what? The only non PC next gen game is demon's souls.

It's your money, but if your buying hardware to play games that come out months from now, keep waiting.

That said, if the ps5 really does cost that much up there vs what scalper prices have dropped to, that doesn't seem like much of a loss. Just make sure you don't get scammed with a banned console or something

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Someone link to that 2 or 3 thread legacy of the dude that had no interest in the console, then bought one from reseller and then got scammed.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The games aren't there, my day 1 unit is playing ps4 games, don't pay resale

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't do it. Seems like stock is slowly getting better, probably not this month but it's close.

And honestly, there's not that much stuff to play.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Another dude on here got desperate and went that route, didn't go well for him.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I've had a ps5 since launch and I would say there definitely isn't enough next gen exclusives to make either console worth paying scalper prices for.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Go for it, honestly. Especially if - as you said - the markup isn't that significant.

If you really want the console, the 50-80 dollars more are worth the peace of mind. Refreshing resellers all the time is draining.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
What games do you want to play? New experiences? Or is it just FOMO.

Ps5 is in bit of a drought right now, I'm enjoying back compat but that aint worth RRP, let alone MORE

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Demon's Souls is really the only "true" next-gen game right now until Returnal/Ratchet, so everything else is cross-gen

PS5 is very nice for a huge collection of PS4 games you've sat on through out the last generation (especially games that came out last year in 2020 and are now getting next gen upgrades for free like Avengers, Crash, Doom, Yakuza, etc.)

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Someone link to that 2 or 3 thread legacy of the dude that had no interest in the console, then bought one from reseller and then got scammed.

My very first thought.

howitstarted3dkhr.jpg

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I'm not sure how quick they go, but Wario64 has been posting a ton of restock links the last few days.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
There's nothing really worth playing with the new consoles right now, plus, there have been too much problems reports all across the board. It's best to wait 6-12 months for revisioned batches and cheaper games. Don't do it now.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
The important thing is to just remember that by buying it from a scalper, you're now part of the problem. If you're ok with it there's no real problem. Just don't complain about scalpers ever again and you wouldn't be a hypocrite for buying it tbh.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
If the markup isn't that much and the money isn't a problem then go for it if it makes you happy.
You're not going to change anything regardless of what you do so worry about yourself.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Bro you don't need it, you just want rare shiny thing. I get it, but seriously, you do not need it.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Just wait it isn't worth it, you'll be playing ps4 games much faster then you think. Hold off till you get it at msrp and more ps5 games are out.

My most played games on ps5 are all ps4 games.

OP
OP
Liquid Plejades
Mar 3, 2018
Honestly didn't event think about the being scammed part. I'll just stick to my switch and wait

and yeah, I really wanna play demons souls and lot of the ps4 games I missed out on, and also to replay some with better performance. But mainly demons souls 😭

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I literally haven't turned it on in months, there's not much to play on it unless you're desperate for Demon's Souls.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's really not worth it. $500 is steep enough. You could go out and get a secondhand PS4 right now, sell it when PS5s become more available, buy a PS5, and still pay less than you would getting it from a scalper.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
I mean beside a shallow sense of happiness from getting a piece of plastic, I will say it always better to wait a couple of years before buying any new console, but if you're so desperate for it I can't really say don't.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I fucking loved Demon's Souls and Spider-Morales. But, outside of that, not a lot to play, and it's going to be a slow year with covid effecting development. Just hold out.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly just wait. Yes there's Demon's Souls but nothing else at the moment. By the time you can get one normally the software situation hopefully will have improved.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
can guarantee that Demons Souls alone is not worth it, you are not missing out on anything.

I mean if you had a ps5, would you pay 700$ for a single game? Come on my guy

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
There's literally no next gen games aside from Demon's and even then that's just a remake

The qol on both consoles for the OS/BC games is absolutely amazing but not worth spending scalper money for
Dirt 5, Valhalla, Spider-Man and Miles expansion, GoW/GoT/Days Gone with 60 fps patch. Hell, if you want to play Cyberpunk, it is a ton better on PS5.

I use PS5 for mostly BC and it works pretty well. IMO, if the markup is only $80-100 Canadian, might as well get it. It's not ideal but this situation will persist through most of the year and prices wont drop any time soon.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna vote no but then I saw Jesus (in the poll and thought otherwise).

Don't do it. By the time you are able to get one, there will be a lot of sales on next gen games (for ps5) or even actual next gen games (for series).

If you're only interested in ps5 (after reading op) I'd recommend you just wait a bit more and be rewarded with many more games to choose from, one you get one. Right now there's little you can't play on a ps4 and it depends a bit on your backlog and individual games enhancements. For me, it's a nice bonus obviously, but not a required upgrade yet.

I obviously would like one now, too; but I know I don't really need it yet.

Also fuck scalpers.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Dirt 5, Valhalla, Spider-Man and Miles expansion, GoW/GoT/Days Gone with 60 fps patch. Hell, if you want to play Cyberpunk, it is a ton better on PS5.

I use PS5 for mostly BC and it works pretty well. IMO, if the markup is only $80-100 Canadian, might as well get it. It's not ideal but this situation will persist through most of the year and prices wont drop any time soon.
Yeah tbh, 80-100 dollars is not much if you're itching for the new console, but it's also good to know that you really really aren't missing that much unless your backlog is huge on PS4 and those games benefit from BC enhancements.

I'll hold my hand up and say that I skim-read the post though

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
There aren't a lot of games out yet and prices in Canada are expensive. By the time you get a PS5 you will probably be able to get some of the games you want much cheaper than early adopters.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
It's not worth it, especially since you'll likely not have warranty, with the issues the DualSense is having with stick drift, it just doesn't make sense.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Not worth it, nothing to play right now. By the time more games are out it will hopefully be in stock.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Get that shit and be happy. Especially if you were in a situation like me with a dying PS4. Just don't get scammed in a "not get one after the seller takes your money and runs" scenario.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've had one since day one and all I can say is I've not at all got the moneys worth out of it.

I will in time, but honestly I'm not sure I could say that paying at scalper prices.

Save your money, and do not give in.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I found a bunch of resellers selling them for $750-$800. After tax the PS5 retails for around $720 here in canada so that's not a huge markup like it was at 1000-1500

Fuck it, that's basically RRP then. $30 over what you'd pay a store for one? Just do it if you want one and you can afford it.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol at these poll results. A $30 premium is nothing compared to the endless refreshing of discords, twitters and crashing store pages. Easiest buy in history.