• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I've become somewhat obsessed lately with seeing photos and videos from a time so far behind us, in color. It's mindblowing how much more detail color gives to everything.

This is 1911. As a commentator pointed out, this is even before the Titanic sank. Crazy.

Also, yes, everyone in the video is dead now.

Got any more?

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
People in 1911 had way more style and were way classier than I have ever been apparently haha

Very cool videos.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting seeing places you walk by every day in these videos.

That's the thing, isn't it? What makes us feel so weird watching those vids. A lot of the buildings / stuctures are still there and have been there such a long time.
The people are all dead and replaced. Imagine if they had colour footage of people walking around in Florence in 1400-1500.... i mean. a lot of stuff from then is still there. Or earlier even. Rome.. Egypt..

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure if this would count:

LOL it shouldn't but seeing those old-timey Model T's on the OP made me nostalgic on Vito Corleone's early adventures.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like seeing photos of NYC in the 70s/80s. Looks like The Warriors/Escape From NY but in reality.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Do you think humans have a tendency to make the past seem vastly different in an attempt to makes themselves more unique? Like that 1913 footage looks the same as now. Fashion is different, ideals most certainly, but looking at body language and the way people are looks the same as now.

All of those people are gone. The majority no one remembers. Us too, one day.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Not colour but there's a really good YouTube channel that featured really old footage that is speed corrected. So much old footage we remember seeing has that hideous fast forward look to it that completely disassociates it from reality. When corrected it's astonishing how more vivid and "now" it feels. You really get the sense that people haven't changed, just live through different periods of time. As mentioned above, I bet seeing people go about their business in Ancient Rome wouldn't be all that different than when we see markets from early 20th century.

Sadly I remember the guy who ran the channel complaining that a lot of his footage was being removed for some stupid reason. I'll need to find the channel... found it! This example from the 60s is in colour but most of the footage is early 1900s and even some before then.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I've become somewhat obsessed lately with seeing photos and videos from a time so far behind us, in color. It's mindblowing how much more detail color gives to everything.

This is 1911. As a commentator pointed out, this is even before the Titanic sank. Crazy.

Got any more?

Not a massive fan of fake colour outside of a few really well done photographs but it definitely gets you closer than the original B&W. Erodes that perceived time leap that happens when you go back to Sepia/B&W, but still a little messy. Will be interesting to see the state of colourizing in 2050+ etc when this has been around awhile and computers might colour match assets and the like with established repertoires.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Seeing this is wild, mostly because of how our brains perceive the past. What I mean is we are so used to movies and tv using weird color grading and filters to depict the past that its just so alien to think that over 100 years ago the world looked exactly the same, with the same color trees and same color sky and same color, well, everything, and yet it totally did.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not as old as some other stuff in here, but still absolutely fascinating to me what they could do with just two colour strips. Still holding hope they find all the colour footage some day, but time will tell.

Blu ray quality in the 90's
damn :0

Yeah... No... High resolution, absolutely, but it comes with all the terrible problems VHS had. It's utterly fascinating though non the less. I remember on the old place the guy looking backwards to that woman blowing up immensely.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Got any more?

Not colour but there's a really good YouTube channel that featured really old footage that is speed corrected. So much old footage we remember seeing has that hideous fast forward look to it that completely disassociates it from reality. When corrected it's astonishing how more vivid and "now" it feels. You really get the sense that people haven't changed, just live through different periods of time. As mentioned above, I bet seeing people go about their business in Ancient Rome wouldn't be all that different than when we see markets from early 20th century.

Sadly I remember the guy who ran the channel complaining that a lot of his footage was being removed for some stupid reason. I'll need to find the channel... found it! This example from the 60s is in colour but most of the footage is early 1900s and even some before then.

One little thing that's always in the back of my head when I watch old footage like this, especially stuff from the early 20th century, is that many of the people you see likely have living descendants who's minds would be blown that there's footage of their long-dead great-great grandparents.