• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen much talk about this but I think the capture quality you get from the PS5 is amazing. I did a manual recording in 4K60 of some Demon's Souls and passed it to mediainfo:

Code:
Format                                   : WebM
Format version                           : Version 4
File size                                : 1.95 GiB
Duration                                 : 5 min 44 s
Overall bit rate                         : 48.7 Mb/s
Writing application                      : mkvmux-1.0.0
Writing library                          : mkvmux-1.0.0

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : VP9
Codec ID                                 : V_VP9
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 59.940 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : Opus
Codec ID                                 : A_OPUS
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Coming from the base PS4 where it was capped at 720p with a bad encoder and nowhere close to enough bitrate, going from that to 4K60 using VP9 at close to 50Mbps is phenomenal. It sucks for video editing because FCPX doesn't support VP9 (yet; Apple seems to have finally seen the light a little bit with Big Sur) but I can live with it for now. Really happy with this.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
always seemed so weird to my PS4 Pro could only do 1080p capture, meanwhile One X had 4K HDR .

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Hows the 1080p/60 quality? I hope its better than what we have on Pro atm

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Does 4K60 only work for manual recordings? What is the resolution of clips taken from x minutes of gameplay you just played?

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I created a thread where I thought the opposite. The manual recordings at 4k are fine, but the automatic recordings are limited to 1080p and don't look great.

OP
OP
zombiejames

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Do you need a specially formatted hard drive to back up the videos? Or can I just plug in my current external HDD? I tried save transfer from PS4 and my PS4 said I had the wrong file system.

Also is there a time limit on 4K60 recordings?

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I was pleasantly surprised by how compact the file sizes were too -- only around 3GB for 10 minutes of 4K/60fps.

OP
OP
zombiejames

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Do you need a specially formatted hard drive to back up the videos? Or can I just plug in my current external HDD? I tried save transfer from PS4 and my PS4 said I had the wrong file system.

Also is there a time limit on 4K60 recordings?
Nope, regular hard drive works fine. I just plugged in my all-purpose 2TB external hard drive formatted in ExFAT and copied the files over. All the PS5 does is create its own folder and puts everything in there.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yep I was legitimately surprised at how good the quality was. Also didn't expect 4K at 60fps either. Really eliminates the need for a capture card even more so than last gen for most people now.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
720p at 3 minutes or 1080p at 1 minute. Still not great imo.

That's just for recording the last x seconds of gameplay on Xbox. Series X also has a 4k60 option at 30 seconds for these "xbox record that" clips.

You can explicitly start recording and end recording later and end up with a clip of any length (I believe...maybe there's a limit?) at whatever resolution you choose.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
720p at 3 minutes or 1080p at 1 minute. Still not great imo.
That's for the 'capture that' setting on the internal drive. It's 4K for an hour if you use an external drive and start the recording manually like OP did on their PS5.

edit: See someone beat me to explaining it.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I noticed if you do manual 4K recording, then want to view it, you are warned that you need to close the game currently running to do so.

Wonder if that's something they can patch. 1080p stuff seems to work fine.

Is it different encoding or just changes the file extension?
WebM uses VP9, which is the open source alternative to HEVC h265 codec. MP4 records as h264 which means it is more compatible with older devices.

Price Drop

Oct 30, 2017
Love this new capture software. It's been really easy to capture, edit, and offload to an external for transfer. The quality is fantastic.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Could you post from screen captures from high-motion scenes?

OP
OP
zombiejames

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Could you post from screen captures from high-motion scenes?
Sure. I had to resize this to 1080p to keep the file size reasonable:

eEgG4kN.jpg

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
This is really good. I like the improved video quality on Series X as well, but it's limited.
Improved compared to what? One X? I've compared captures on both consoles and they're identical from a quality standpoint. Both seem to be capped to 30 Mbit/s with only 8-bit color depth. Only difference is Series X can only the last 3 minutes at 720p instead of 5 minutes on One X.

OP any chance you can check if PS5 captures are 10-bit?

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
That's just for recording the last x seconds of gameplay on Xbox. Series X also has a 4k60 option at 30 seconds for these "xbox record that" clips.

You can explicitly start recording and end recording later and end up with a clip of any length (I believe...maybe there's a limit?) at whatever resolution you choose.

If it hasn't changed then it's a max of an hour, and can only be done if you save it to an external storage device rather than internal.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
It's great, but I was really disappointed to learn that it's only recording at 1080p for unplanned moments though, which is 99% of the time I'd ever want to save a video.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
So will it be possible to finally show a dreams creations in a decent quality ? It's a shame i stopped using it completely -_-

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Same here. Honestly I don't think I've been so impressed with a new console launch in maybe forever. It's lived up to the hype 100%.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I should have stuck with webm recording, but since I edit my clips, compatibility meant I had to change it to MP4, and quality wise it's not very good. I ended up going back to my really old capture card, my card does direct MP4 captures but only at 30fps, but I just couldn't handle the quality loss with the PS5 MP4 output.
Also, talking about 1080p since can't try 4K due to not having a 4K TV, and console needs to be outputting in that to record at that resolution.
But yeah, comparing 1080p captures using PS5 MP4 to my H.264 capture card it's a huge difference.

PS5 left - capture card right.

YqkYWiZ.png

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Does this mean I can forgo buying an Elgato 4K capture device?

And does the PS5 allow for recording directly on an external SSD/HDD (provided it meets the spec requirement)?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Does this mean I can forgo buying an Elgato 4K capture device?

And does the PS5 allow for recording directly on an external SSD/HDD (provided it meets the spec requirement)?
If you are okay with WebM as your video format.
It looks like to do 4K60 capture it has to be WebM.
Looks like for MP4 the system only allows 1080p60.
I guess I should have stuck with webm recording, but since I edit my clips, compatibility meant I had to change it to MP4, and quality wise it's not very good. I ended up going back to my really old capture card, my card does direct MP4 captures but only at 30fps, but I just couldn't handle the quality loss with the PS5 MP4 output.
Also, talking about 1080p since can't try 4K due to not having a 4K TV, and console needs to be outputting in that to record at that resolution.
But yeah, comparing 1080p captures using PS5 MP4 to my H.264 capture card it's a huge difference.

PS5 left - capture card right.
It looks like the MP4 captures top out at 1080p.
I think they are allowing the WebM only to do 4k60 manual captures. I'm curious as to why I guess because of space concerns.