• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It's cheaper AND more fun. I don't see any reason to let anyone else build my PCs.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Building is easy. Troubleshooting is harder if you're unlucky and have a broken component. Some things like motherboard/PSU can be really annoying to troubleshoot.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
It takes a lot of practice to get 100% percent comfortable, but it becomes second-nature eventually.
Still, no matter how many machines I build, there's something satisfying on a very primal level about hitting the power button on a fresh build, and getting a POST and boot on the first try.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
The actual hard or unsettling parts are: screwing in an unwieldy CPU cooler (and using thermal paste for the first time), worrying about scraping the back of your motherboard on the case mounts, getting all the cabling for the mobo correct so it actually boots first time, anything that requires more force than you would expect.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Ya I'm watching some YouTube videos right now and it doesn't seem to bad at all. Just want to get a general feeling on how tough it actually is.
The toughest part of building a computer are...
1. Depending on the air cooler, the mounts can be somewhat tricky. Make sure your case and ram have clearance for whatever cooler you choose.
2. Plugging in the case led, power, into the motherboard. Some companies have made the plugs more intuitive but finding the right spot in such a small place can be difficult, sometimes.
3. Cable management. Your first time will be the absolute worst job you will ever do when it comes to cables. Zip ties are your very best friend. Look for grooves and channels in the back of your case. Look at your motherboard and see what cable goes where before installing it. Prewire your psu before installing it in the case.

Good luck.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You screw in a big board, then put pieces where they fit on the big board, then plug some wires into the big board. It's very easy once you know what is what.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Building is easy. Troubleshooting is harder if you're unlucky and have a broken component. Some things like motherboard/PSU can be really annoying to troubleshoot.
Yeah this if all your parts work out of the box it's basically just plugging the components into where they go with a little trickiness around the CPU and CPU cooler. Unless if you want to have nice cable management then it takes a lot of planning but a somewhat messy computer can still be a working computer. However, if one thing isn't working (dead ram, dead CPU, bad motherboard, etc) or even worse multiple components (part of the reason you don't want to completely cheap out on every component) it can be really difficult to pinpoint what it is unless it gets picked up by the motherboard and you can see it in the error lights on startup.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
The CPU to motherboard to case part is the trickiest with all the screws and paste and shit, and also when buying a CPU you have to know the socket number of the motherboard.

The rest is just plugging and slotting. The real headaches come after you switch it on.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's cheaper AND more fun. I don't see any reason to let anyone else build my PCs.
Generally I agree, but I do have one small one: Time when under strict constraints.

Speaking casually, building a PC once you know what you are doing is a less than 1 hour job. It's really not a big deal. However, recently thanks to lockdown I was put into a position where I'm not at home (I'm around my girlfriends), and was in major need of a PC in order to properly WFH. I also have a deadline coming up very soon (end of this month) and have been putting in some pretty long hours.

Now, I still decided to build, but were I to do it again I would definitely consider a prebuilt. The hour I spent setting it up was an hour away from my work, and only added to my already high stress levels. It's hard to have the typical fun you get building when you are doing it under pressure.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Really not hard. Just look it up on Youtube. There are a couple spots where paying close attention is needed, like with Thermal Paste if you aren't going water cooled. Never done water cooled myself so I don't know if that has it's own points where you need to pay attention.

If it helps, I went to vocational school for IT for my final two years of High School. That was built with someone having basically no IT knowledge and just the basic ability to use a computer.

We were building PC's by like, the 3rd week of the year, so it's totally not difficult. It's actually entry level IT stuff.

Oh, use PC Part Picker. The other part that's annoying with PC's is having to make sure everything is compatible, so PC Part Picker is super great because it will tell you if it's compatible or not.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Applying thermal paste and attaching cooler: can be pretty fiddly and difficult depending on the cooler
Pretty much everything else: piece of cake
Making your cabling tidy: I have no idea how people pull that shit off

Pretty much everything is straightforward these days. I like to attach the cooler and CPU to the motherboard first, then install the motherboard. Then get the PSU in and everything is clearly labelled as to what goes where after that.

I'm not exactly a pro and it takes me a little while but my last two builds both booted up perfect first time. Modern cases and components are very helpful (enormous fucking GPUs that block the release leaver on your motherboard notwithstanding)

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Buy from a store that lets you pick the parts and they put it together for you. You get the best of both worlds.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's not hard, but it can get fiddly. There are stores that put them together for you. And stores that offer good pre-builds that you can alternate to your liking if some parts aren't good enough for you.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Not hard. I did it a year and a half ago with basically no prior knowledge just from watching some videos. I personally wouldn't call it "fun" to do.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
To each their own! I put the CPU and RAM in but the rest is done inside the case for me. Cooler, GPU..... wait a minute the CPU and RAM is most isn't it
Haha, yeh. :p

Well, usually it's only the CPU/Heatsink, RAM, GPU.

Possibly a network card, maybe an NVMe drive...

I like to put it all together outside the case and fire it up to see how if there's any obvious issue before I screw it all in and discover one that might mean I need to unscrew it all again, but of course each to their own!

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I've done fresh builds twice - once in 2011 and again last August.

It's not hard in a traditional sense - you just need to make sure you have the right tutorial videos. There are so many different varieties of parts so sometimes I would have to hunt down "this exact motherboard being attached to this exact case", if that makes sense.

But with good videos it's real easy, you just follow along really. Have fun!

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
Its not hard. The only tricky part is if you decided to use an aftermarket CPU cooler.
Be careful when installing those.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
I tell this story a lot, but after getting a defective PC from a popular PC assembling company, and having a nightmare of a time getting a full refund, I decided to build my own system. It took me one night to build, and after a little troubleshooting got her up and running just fine. I think it's important to build at least one system if you are going to become a PC person, that way you will have confidence when it comes time to upgrade.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
Applying the correct amount of thermal paste and then attaching this thing was terrifying.

7xEfYWt.jpg

Other than that, not too bad. Just time consuming.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Actually the best tip is:

Don't place the motherboard on the case without placing risers first, you'll short it!

I have a friend who did that, i would never do such a thing, nope, no way....

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
All easy, except changing the stock cooler on the cpu, that shit is nerve breaking as hell. Also I had to literally shove my GTX 1070 inside my old case, jam it right in, since the case was medium and I didn't know how big the GTX 1070 was. Fixed that with a new case.

Again fuck changing the stock CPU cooler.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The first time can be a bit stressful for obvious reasons, but building a PC has continuously gotten easier over the years. Tons of online information and videos, down to specific parts and settings, and sites like PCpartpicker will help you choose and help you avoid any comparability issues. Braided cables, case designs with cabling in mind, better labeling and instructions, etc. Post hardware connecting, BIOS have gotten way easier to use and setup as well.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Another annoying but not hard but still super time consuming thing is dedusting your PC internals. I wish there was a magic blower that can just do it in a minute.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
It's not that hard if you're familiar with basic PC parts, but it can be daunting and time consuming if it's your first time. It took me a long time to get my cooler on the CPU because the instructions didn't tell me to take off some plastic covers that I had no idea were covers.

Be sure to do it on hardwood//anti-static mat/not carpet and ground yourself (preferably with a anti-static wristband) so you don't accidentally fry your stuff. I think that's the biggest worry.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
RMA the fauly components lol

A) Finding the faulty component can be tricky. Especially if you don't have spare components you can test with.
B) RMA:ing means you cannot continue with the build till you get a replacement. Sure, you can return the component back to the store, but you still need to return to the store. If a computer store builds it for you, they will at least test that it will post. Also most likely they will update the bios, which can be required to be able to use newer processors with older motherboards.

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
I built my first (well first for 20 or so years) in 2016 and it was a surprisingly pain free experience, between online advice and manuals that weren't awful like in the old days it felt like there was plenty of help to be had.

I started building it on a Sunday morning and didn't expect to have it done that day but was actually complete by mid-afternoon to the point where I could boot it [and then literally squeal like a little girl when actual bios stuff appeared on screen!].

Do you know what, I think installing Windows took longer and was more stressful than building the computer itself!!

Some areas I had issues with:
  • Getting the right specs in the first place, stuff like making sure your motherboard supports the CPU you want and that the power supply you buy is safe/good and will support your components plus some overhead for future upgrades. PC part picker was useful here as well as old PC heads who have done this before.
  • Building inside or outside the case. I went for building everything outside the case to make sure it worked as I was convinced I'd have to take something apart that I'd done wrong. Recently though I added some RAM and it was fine doing this without pulling the whole MB out so this might be a wash.
  • Working out the amount of paste to put on the CPU. Not too much, not too little. Some kind of Goldilocks BS!
  • I was surprised by the force needed on the clips that push the CPU down/secure the heat sink.
  • I didn't initially know which two RAM slots of four to use.
  • The cables for the PSU were labelled well but had a couple of configurations due to the different number of pins different GPUs have. The manual got me close but I was nervous enough here to seek advice online.
  • Getting everything to fit nicely in the case was a bit of a pain and though there's a surprising amount of flex in a motherboard it's not enough to make it comfortable to fiddle around too much!
  • Installing the case fans so they blew the right way!
Honestly, Thewonandonly, I wouldn't recommend it to everyone but if you have even a little bit of smarts and are happy to take your time to do the research up front you'll be absolutely fine. Beside, even if you need to ask what might feel like silly questions there are a ton of people out there more than willing to help (and one or two who will patronise you but those kind of folk exist everywhere so fuck 'em).

I can only speak for myself but I was very pleased with myself after I'd done it, in fact I was quite proud but I really am an idiot so take from that what you will.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you end up doing.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
I literally built a pc while watching one of Paul's Hardware videos. He has a whole playlist of him building PCs. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRnHcRQUxuoeQM4-llcMNXTakKZcAAyB6

JayzTwoCents and LinusTech are good watches too. Just watch some youtube videos and you'll familiarize yourself with the components and you'll be able to pick exactly what you want. The building part is easy.

i've been thinking about building my own pc, and this thread (along with this particular link) pushed me over the edge.

edit2: Also laptops are an option. Plug in bigger screen, keyboard, mouse, and depending on model they can be really good gaming PCs, just a bit (or a lot) noisy.

tell me more..

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Take it from me, its pretty easy and straight forward.
I just watched videos on YouTube like Joey Delgado and read the motherboard manual. Everything else falls into place pretty simple from there.
I had 0 experience building a computer let alone limited pc knowledge other than the basics.
Runs smooth without issue.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
As long as you have all the right parts that are compatible with each other, it's not that bad to put it all together.

Oct 29, 2017
Being careful to get everything right is much easier than figuring out what you did wrong.

You even see well versed YouTubers wonder what's going on when their systems don't boot because they are so used to building systems that when a mobo does something unusual they have to go step by step to see what they missed after they finished.

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
The trickiest part for me was figuring out where my tangled mass of wires was supposed to go.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
built my first PC this year OP. im semi-technical and knew what each piece does, but never pieced a computer together.

it was a learning experience. have patience.
follow along watching a vid for your specific motherboard if you can find it.
and keep both your MB and case booklets with you so you know what goes where.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Didn't take much after I hired a 10 man team to assemble. I kept them on payroll to keep up with those pesky 2 minute driver updates!

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Very straightforward and fun to build yourself. Definitely look at guides (Linus Tech Tips is a great resource on YouTube) but it's easy.

The build I did back in December 2018 was super easy especially because I went Mini-ITX. Couldn't be more pleased with the build!

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Just figure out what cpu sockets are so you aren't dumbfounded like me when you eventually buy a new cpu and the shit won't fit in the motherboard. Also, buy AMD CPU's because they switch sockets less often.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Possible faulty components is a big reason I would consider just buying the components with someone else assembling it. Also they would probably do better wiring than me lol
Clean wiring was one of the things I was worried about, but turns out if you just buy a nice case and a modular power supply it's not even an issue. (With an average build anyway) Once my build posted, my wire cleanup involved simply shifting the 5 or so cables to the left and using the case's built in velcro straps to hold them in place. It took 15 seconds.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I've got a nice PC.

3900x, 32GB RAM, GTX 1070.

I built it recently.
However whenever I hibernate. It works but I have to cut the power when it turns off otherwise it turns on again immediately.

Looked online other people had same issue with Gigabyte X570 mobo.

But couldn't figure out a solution.

I can live with it but if it was like a Dell, then I'd just call up warranty and it's their problem.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
It's fairly simple, the only issue I had with my build was the cooler (it's a great cooler but it's not fun to install). As long as you do a little bit of research beforehand, and maybe a few Youtube videos just to be safe, you'll be all good.