• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
01xx6u9gvp881.png

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I used to chew on mine (standard small crucifix necklace) as a kid.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Crosses with Jesus still on them are purely Catholic symbology
OK, sorry for that then.

I'm speaking as a protestant. I'll correct my language and say that most protestants don't believe in depicting Jesus as still being on the cross.

This still doesn't disprove what a lot of protestants believe about depicting Jesus on the cross. It's sacrilege.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Some random related Catholic trivia.

A Rosary is a necklace for Catholics with a crucifix hanging from it and very specific amounts of beads and sections. It is a necklace shape, but it is NOT allowed to be worn around the neck. It should only be held in your hand.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
OK, sorry for that then.

I'm speaking as a protestant. I'll correct my language and say that most protestants don't believe in depicting Jesus as still being on the cross.

This still doesn't disprove what a lot of protestants believe about depicting Jesus on the cross. It's sacrilege.
You're perfectly right about how protestants view religious iconography in general. This is one of their base tenants that attracted so many people to the various sects (Luther or Calvin at the start) who were tired of how Rome, Antioche, Bizance and others used and painted the christian faith.

Humbleness is an another core aspect of the religion. I was always taught that the cross had to be made of wood if you were to have any for example (I met french protestants, I'm not familiar with north american ones, especially the NA specific sects like baptists)

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Who says you have to understand it? If it ain't hurting you, let people worship how they want.

Hell, some people just like the symbol and jewelry lol
Nailed it. I feel like I used to have these kind of "deep" conversations when I was 15.

The cross has been a practically neutral design element for decades.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Growing up in NJ, this was a symbol largely worn by Catholics. I have never seen a Protestant wearing a golden cross.

I'm no expert, but opulence within Catholicism is not strange at all. It is one factor (among 95 others) why Reformation took place in the 1500s.

It is just a religious expression shaped by centuries of social norms and mores. It's not a big deal.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
How can this be wrong?

hip-hop-fashion-gold-chain.jpg

Maybe it changed when he became more famous, but the origin of Mr. T's extensive gold necklaces were a collection from people who lost them in bar fights when he was a bouncer. Also, he actually stopped wearing his gold after helping out during Katrina because it wasn't very Christian to be showing it off.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
It's not THAT difficult to understand y'all. Some people like Jesus and like diamonds. Pretty easy to understand killing two birds with one stone.

Nov 3, 2021
Do you mean it doesn't disprove that such Protestants are right about what Jesus on a cross means?

Just to make it clear, such Protestants are completely wrong about what Jesus on a cross means. Catholics have always believed that Jesus rose from the dead. Therefore, Catholics cannot have meant that Jesus did not rise from the dead when making necklaces.

There is also no logical reason why depicting Jesus on a cross can only mean that Jesus did not rise from the dead.

The whole theory only makes sense if you think that Catholics are liars with a secret agenda.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Do you mean it doesn't disprove that such Protestants are right about what Jesus on a cross means?

Just to make it clear, such Protestants are completely wrong about what Jesus on a cross means. Catholics have always believed that Jesus rose from the dead. Therefore, Catholics cannot have meant that Jesus did not rise from the dead when making necklaces.

There is also no logical reason why depicting Jesus on a cross can only mean that Jesus did not rise from the dead.

The whole theory only makes sense if you think that Catholics are liars with a secret agenda.

I mean, at the end of the day, we're still arguing myths.

I'm not arguing what's correct; I'm arguing what people believe and pass down.

Nov 3, 2021
I mean, at the end of the day, we're still arguing myths
Are we? It's more like we're arguing what an artwork means. And when you want to know what an artwork really means to the person who made it, you can just ask the person who made it. The only exception would be if the person who made it is a liar. I think even an atheist can look at history and see that the crucifix, as a symbol, does not mean that Jesus did not rise from the dead.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
It's jewelery.

I don't understand wedding rings that cost more than a few hundred bucks either, but ...🤷‍♂️