• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Beyond conspicuous worship being condemned in the New Testament and wealth being condemned in the New Testament... I mean, it's just kind of weird, right?

You're making a luxury symbol out of... the torture device you believe was used to torture and kill God?

Plain crosses are weird because it feels very violent and can feel like trying to make yourself feel persecuted these days but they're nothing compared to luxury crosses.

Do not understand it.

I guess you could wear it as a subversive thing, but it feels like no one is doing that.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yeah it goes against the teachings of christianity. The cross should not be luxurious. If anything it should be a simple object made of wood.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
6tf4d.jpg

May 24, 2019
Gaudily decorated Christian iconography is a centuries old tradition.
Funnily enough, I just went to this exhibition the other day:
www.aucklandartgallery.com

Heavenly Beings: Icons of the Christian Orthodox World

Opening on Friday 15 April – Good Friday in the Catholic liturgical calendar – Heavenly Beings: Icons of the Christian Orthodox World introduces the tradition of the devotional art of the Christian Orthodox faith in an exhibition of icons drawn from across the world.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Beyond conspicuous worship being condemned in the New Testament and wealth being condemned in the New Testament... I mean, it's just kind of weird, right?

You're making a luxury symbol out of... the torture device you believe was used to torture and kill God?

Plain crosses are weird because it feels very violent and can feel like trying to make yourself feel persecuted these days but they're nothing compared to luxury crosses.

Do not understand it.

I guess you could wear it as a subversive thing, but it feels like no one is doing that.
I mean, the whole anchor point of Christianity is Jesus dying for sins etc, which is what the crucifix represents. It's a much simpler and easily reproduced symbol than everyone wearing a figure of some rando.

And you get them made out of gold because honestly it's not that expensive for low karat and it lasts longer than just making them out of wood or something.

While prosperity gospel specifically is an American thing of the 20th century, a certain kind of religious person has always justified greed and excess - no matter the religion - by imagining themselves to be so pure and devoted that they deserve a material reward for it.

Some justify it by telling themselves displays of glory and riches is just "glorifying the divine". Ultimately it's just a self-serving excuse to value wealth while believing one's self to be spiritual and ascetic.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
What you got against a good Jesus Piece?

(wow, do they still call them that? Am I dating myself?)

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
It's gloriously hypocritical, and I love it. There are few more perfect symbols for how utterly removed Christan culture is from Christian philosophy.

Christians should be inoffensive Buddhist types who love their neighbours as themselves, but instead, most of them are dicks who are scared of queer and trans people, and want to police people's bodies, marriages, beliefs, and even the media they consume. All while wearing bejewelled lower-case t pendents.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Reminds me of those Bibles an Uber Christian I knew once was obsessed with which went for upwards of $200-300.

He said it was worth it because the paper would never yellow, the leather was high quality, and it featured a ton of essays that "give enlightenment" on each verse.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I do think if you're team "t" a nice simple gold necklace works best.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean a simple crucifix made of gold to be long lasting and something you can keep/pass on, sure, whatever. But when it becomes a blatant symbol of wealth yeah that's just good ol fashioned hypocrisy. Even as a kid I found it weird.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Expensive annotated bibles that are textbooks can run big money. Unless you want to actually study the thing though you don't need anything more than a free copy of the various translations out there.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
As far as I could tell when I was forced to go as a child, church was just an excuse for a bunch of old people to compare jewelry and compete for the most dreadful perfume. Not really a surprise when you look at all the shitbags that run the most successful tax havens. Like Joel Olsteen. God wants you to have tailored suits, gold watches, and private jets. Now pay your tithes to me so that god looks favorably on you! What's that? A bunch of people have been displaced by a hurricane? What a shame. Let them in my mega church? Hell no! Then there won't be any room for my shee- I mean my flock! Jesus wouldn't help the homeless with his massive mega church...

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
According to Dwayne Michael Carter Jr it's for good luck:

"Young Tune that's what my people call me
Fifty thousand for the cross, trying keep the reaper off me"

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The plain gold crosses are kind of brilliant for indoctrination. When someone is given one it's practically giving them a badge for the Christ club. Feeling accepted is a ggod feeling and one that manipulators count on. They're ubiquitous so you never feel out of place wearing one, and if you are poor or a young girl and are given one it might be the only gold jewelry you own, so why wouldn't you wear it a lot?

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who says you have to understand it? If it ain't hurting you, let people worship how they want.

Hell, some people just like the symbol and jewelry lol

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Who says you have to understand it? If it ain't hurting you, let people worship how they want.

Hell, some people just like the symbol and jewelry lol

Yeah, in the denomination of Christianity I was raised the only guideline on crosses were that they were not to feature a figure of Jesus on the cross. It could only be the cross itself.

Crosses with Jesus still on them are purely Catholic symbology and are considered sacrilegious to many protestant sects, because it presents defiance to the idea that Jesus resurrected.

Other than that? Bling your crosses out however you want. lol

Dec 30, 2020
I'm curious if anyone's ever worn a blinged-out Star of David or any other denomination's symbol, because I only ever tend to see the cross done up in that fashion.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
god loves me
i'm rich
i'm rich because god loves me

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I mean its weird. But all fashion is kinda weird when you think about it, other than just the basic necessity of staying covered.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
I wouldn't try to make much sense of religious symbols based on fairy tales. None of it makes any sense, so its par for course I guess.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Counterpoint, crosses are just cool imagery. it's why Kyo Kusanagi's best look was during the NEST era.

5f34b8abce58033a9a082f107088dfb8.png

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I don't think anyone I know wearing it put that much thought into it, and just liked the jewelry.
Yeah I think it's like, people want to wear bling but they also wanna make their worship known. Best of both worlds. It's not really about having a blinged out cross. If that makes sense.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Crosses with Jesus still on them are purely Catholic symbology and are considered sacrilegious to many protestant sects, because it presents defiance to the idea that Jesus resurrected.
Only protestants don't show the Christ on the cross. Every other christian sect does (Catholics, Copts, Orthodoxes, and so on)

And the Christ on the cross doesn'T nullify the resurection as it's a core tenant/belief of christian faith (irregardless of sect)

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Only protestants don't show the Christ on the cross. Every other christian sect does (Catholics, Copts, Orthodoxes, and so on)

And the Christ on the cross doesn'T nullify the resurection as it's a core tenant/belief of christian faith (irregardless of sect)

I mean, that's literally what I said.