• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you want to see a Chrono Trigger remake from the modern Square Enix?

• Yes

Votes: 304 29.1%
  • No, they would screw it up/couldn't recapture what made the original great

Votes: 499 47.8%
  • No, I didn't like the game/it's overrated

Votes: 76 7.3%
  • I just want Chrono Break already

Votes: 164 15.7%

• Total voters

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I think I would rather them port Trigger and Cross over to modern consoles and PC rather than a full on remake, because I cannot help but feel that a remake would be pointless and not nearly as successful as a simple porting of the game to modern platforms

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
I know it's tempting but let's be real. There is no way that a remake of Crono Trigger can catch the magic of the original.That is a completely other story than FF7 that has seen numerous entrys as game and even movies.

Crono Trigger is the perfect 16-bit JRPG. If they ever think of doing it...it would be a tough ride..

OP
OP
mistersensation
Nov 11, 2017
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead as the topic is timely enough to continue the discussion.

Chrono Trigger is a popular game. The original game sold really well, the DS enhanced released sold really well, too. Why wouldn't it be remade? However, I don't see a Final Fantasy VII Remake approach to this. Instead, the smarter option would be to remake the game with a Dragon Quest XI facelift. Not only do you have the framework to build from using a game that has Akira Toriyama character models, but there's this, too.

lWpZ6EI.png

A Chrono Trigger remake that has both a 2D and a 3D mode would make the game equally accessible to veterans and newcomers.
Wow, surprised to see this topic again, haha. After giving it some time I definitely agree with most folks here that it just wouldn't be worth it for them to spend the amount of time and effort that they did with FFVIIR on a remake of a similarly loved but much less commercially successful game like CT. I do like the idea of a dual play style like DQXI, the 2D version is already great unlike the (IMO) really underwhelming 2D mode in that game. I also think a Mana-style remake has a chance of happening at some point as some have said. I don't have quite the same reservations that they would screw it up as a lot of people do- I think FFVIIR proved they can do a quality remake even after certain key people have left the company. The source material is already so great all they would have to do is faithfully adapt what's already there.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Specifically in the remake style of FF7? For FF7R story reasons I can't get into due to spoilers, my answer is yes. But it has to be done like FF7R's story.

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
I like chrono, my number 1, my GOAT, I hope they don't try, because I FF7 didn't like the approach on it

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
They would fuck it up probably, so I don't know. I'd rather having visuals in the style of DQXI, tho, more than FFVIIR; it works well with Toriyama character design

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
My answer isn't in the poll. They should/could, but they probably don't think it'd be profitable.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
No but I wouldn't mind a simple port and a Trials of Mana-style remake.

FFVII Remake, I would guess, is just too expensive for an ip like CT.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Inappropriate comparison, IMO. Also the poll doesn't really match the title.

I'd love to see a Chrono Trigger Remake though.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I want a "No, it's not the type of game that lends well to that type of Remake" option.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Where's the poll option for "chrono trigger, while great, doesn't have the cultural weight of FFVII, so there's no reason for Square to undergo such a massive effort."

Sure, Chrono Trigger is no Final Fantasy VII in terms of popularity but it is arguably the most demanded Square game for the remake treatement.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
They only remade FF7 because of how huge the fanbase was. Chrono Trigger as a remake would most definitely not attract as big an audience.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that we haven't had anything after Cross is is absolutely crazy to me in more ways than one. I know the right people aren't available to make it and they don't want to pull FF team members off to make it. I know the devs have a high respect for the IP but from a business perspective with the series such high praise and esteem you would think they would want to capitalize on it. I'd figure at worst a mid budget game almost regardless of quality would sell decent from pedigree alone. (Thankfully they have not done this) It's just wild to think that we have had multiple front missions, star oceans, drakenguard and mana games since and they have never done anything super in terms of sales. Hell even Nier got a sequel and that bombed. Though in that regard I think it was more in the developers interests than anything.
Doesn't I Am Setsuna take place in the same world as Chrono Trigger?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Can we stop acting like the Chrono series is some super-niche series that sold poorly? Both Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross were million+ sellers, in a time when budgets were far smaller than they are now. Although a multi-installment mega-budget remake a la FF7R is probably unrealistic, they could totally do a remake or a new Chrono game with, say, a Persona 5 level of budget and expect it to be profitable. But for whatever reason, they don't seem to want to do anything with the series.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I rather they didn't. The original games still hold up really well and look amazing. Why would they need anything more than making sure it's available on current hardware?

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Can we stop acting like the Chrono series is some super-niche series that sold poorly? Both Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross were million+ sellers, in a time when budgets were far smaller than they are now. Although a multi-installment mega-budget remake a la FF7R is probably unrealistic, they could totally do a remake or a new Chrono game with, say, a Persona 5 level of budget and expect it to be profitable. But for whatever reason, they don't seem to want to do anything with the series.
Exactly. All it comes down to is the talent.

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
My answer is no, but because the ff7 remake is not worth of the original ff7. A CT remake should aim at a different aesthetic, keeping its turn based combat / anime like roots

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
They would remake every DQ and FF game before they even bothered to touch this.

Chrono Trigger is only popular on the Internet

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I can see a Chono Trigger Remake in the Dragon Quest XI style. But the issue will be the pacing, CT is perfect on this area and to move on 3D style would inevitably impact the pacing (movement, combat, set piece, etc...) So they would have to refine very hard it in order to be close of the feeling from OG game, imo.
I think they will have more liberties on Chono Cross Remake, it would benefit more of a recreation on modern platforms than CT. But I would take Chrono Break before these remakes.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Don't want a Chrono Trigger remake, and if they were to make one I certainly wouldn't want it to be a FFVII style "remake".

I'd rather have a new Chrono, and keep hoping it wouldn't be an Action RPG.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
After seeing the Trials of Mana remake using the Dragon Quest 11 engine, I think a Chrono remake using that engine would be awesome.
I came here to see if anyone else would say this. This is absolutely the more likely course of action for them to take! Especially since it would be much cheaper than an FFVII Remake style remake.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

Some responses here give the impression that Chrono Trigger is as obscure as Tobal No. 1, Brave Fencer Musashi and The Bouncer.