• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you want to see a Chrono Trigger remake from the modern Square Enix?

• Yes

Votes: 304 29.1%
  • No, they would screw it up/couldn't recapture what made the original great

Votes: 499 47.8%
  • No, I didn't like the game/it's overrated

Votes: 76 7.3%
  • I just want Chrono Break already

Votes: 164 15.7%

• Total voters
Nov 11, 2017
Was just reading through the FFVII remake thread and, seeing the hype around it, I got to wondering whether Square would ever take the chance of giving the same treatment to Chrono Trigger. Obviously the game is held in very high regard, regularly topping all-time best JRPG lists, but I also know that it's not nearly as 'mass-appeal' a title as Final Fantasy, so I'm left wondering if enough people would buy it for it to be worth the time, effort and money invested. I would imagine it wouldn't be nearly as big a project as FFVII, one of the things people seem to love about the game is its relatively brisk pacing. But there are other questions too, like would the game even translate well into 3D? Dragon Quest XI did a really good job of bringing that Toriyama style into 3D which I think could serve as a great blueprint for characters, but what about the gameplay, environments, atmosphere, etc? Does the game even need a remake, or is most of what made it special tied up in the time, format, dev team etc. of its original release? Would Sakaguchi not being involved be a deal-breaker, for instance? I realized I can't really answer these questions myself, so I figured I would outsource it to you ERA. Do you think it's realistic to hope for a remake if FFVII does well, and do you think Square could do it justice, or are we better off leaving Chrono Trigger in the past?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
After seeing the Trials of Mana remake using the Dragon Quest 11 engine, I think a Chrono remake using that engine would be awesome.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Masato Kato is never going back to work on it so what's the point. Yuji Horii sure as hell is not coming back for this one and neither Sakaguchi will

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Is CT even that crazy to remake? Like one of the things people like about it, it seems, is that it is very well paced and has just the right amount of content, right?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They'd never be able to manage it, and basically everyone who was involved in the original project is gone. What would be the point?

Keep in mind, this is modern Square Enix, the dorks who can't even manage ONE game world. You think they're gonna be able to pull off a bunch of completely distinct time periods? It's a joke. They'd fuck it up.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I guess they could do 2 parts, before and after Magus.

Part 1, present, medieval, bad future
Part 2, Zeal, ice age, prehistoric

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
They would 100000% mess it up. No confidence, whatsoever. It would be a complete, unmitigated disaster.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
They would 100000% mess it up. No confidence, whatsoever. It would be a complete, unmitigated disaster.
lol
XI, Trails of Mana and 7 Remake disagree.

I imagine people saying the same about FF7R not too long ago....and now people treat it like the 2nd coming.
If they want SE can deliver with their remakes - its just a budget/personal question.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I think games that were made possible with pre-rendered backgrounds are uniquely positioned for interesting remakes (RE1 and 2, FF7) due to the "photorealism" of them at the time. CT, FF6, etc never pretended like that. It's a mental thing and I would much rather see that creative team reunite for something new with BIG FUNDING than any attempt to take the original game into 3d.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Is CT even that crazy to remake? Like one of the things people like about it, it seems, is that it is very well paced and has just the right amount of content, right?
Unless it's a AoM style remake that is pretty much just the original game but in 3D visuals, they'd have to change the scope of the environments and give more complexity to the character animations, both of which would do a lot to break the game's pacing.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't look to FF for inspiration for Chrono. A better fit would be remaking the game in the style of DQXI.

OP
OP
mistersensation
Nov 11, 2017
Masato Kato is never going back to work on it so what's the point. Yuji Horii sure as hell is not coming back for this one and neither Sakaguchi will
They'd never be able to manage it, and basically everyone who was involved in the original project is gone. What would be the point?

Keep in mind, this is modern Square Enix, the dorks who can't even manage ONE game world. You think they're gonna be able to pull off a bunch of completely distinct time periods? It's a joke. They'd fuck it up.
Pardon my ignorance, not too familiar with the careers of most of these guys, but is there any reason they couldn't get most of the original team back together? Have they sworn off working with Square or something? I know at least Horii worked on DQXI, yeah?

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
7 looks like trash. Chrono Trigger still looks good. No need

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Regardless of whether or not they would do a good job there's no way they ever would. There is no comparison to make between CT and FFVII. Despite Chrono Trigger's reputation it isn't a sales behemoth.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Pardon my ignorance, not too familiar with the careers of most of these guys, but is there any reason they couldn't get most of the original team back together? Have they sworn off working with Square or something? I know at least Horii worked on DQXI, yeah?

Sakaguchi does not want anything to do with AAA development nowadays, Masato Kato straight-up left game development entirely, and Horii has basically no reason to step away from Dragon Quest until he retires.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
That Mana game they're remaking looks pretty good; I think it'd be cool to have more SNES period Square RPGs to be remade in a way similar to that than a big overdone project that has to be spread out in multiple volumes.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
The answer is no, it wouldn't be profitable enough. They might make a remake some day, but nothing as huge and ambitious as FFVII. Few, if any, remakes in this industry could have that potential.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
No.. but maybe a Secret of Mana/Trials of Mana style remake seems possible

Not that I want tho.. just put the original on NSO service and we're good.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Your poll is a different question than the thread title.

Do I think SE would ever make it? No. They haven't shown this franchise any love in decades.
Do I want it? Meh. I'm not really sold on remakes. Just make a modern turn-based game with similar battle mechanics instead.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not an FF7-style remake.

But after Trials of Mana, I could see something with a similar budget happening.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

There were rumours that relationships soured between Horii and Sakaguchi during Trigger's development and they have 'ever expressed wanting to go back to it.

The only person who could be considered the father of the Chrono series is Masato Kato and he has left the company and works on a mobile game who has some similarities called Another Eden. He wants to do a third game in the series but I don't think he will be ever allowed. Anyway, he has a personal policy of leaving the past to the past so I don't think he would remake it even if asked

Oct 25, 2017
Of course I would.

I mean, look at my avatar. Its been the warp gate for literally 10 years and was awesome before they took away animated avatars.

I IDEALLY want Chrono Break. Thats the ultimate wish.

Second wish is ff7 style remake. 100% down.

Third wish is a remake/remaster I guess. Not the extent of ff7, but maybe more.......I dunno what a good analog is. Maybe redo the game, make it widescreen, upgrade the sprites for more frames of animation, redo the anime cutscenes, etc etc.

Last on that wish is just a PS4/PS5 remaster with trophies. Kind of like the PC version.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
There isn't the option to say it is not as mainstream.Because It is not as mainstream. Having not played the game I cannot judge its quality, but it would be a risk to invest a lot in the remake of a much less known game

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Yeah outside of if they could nail it, I don't think CT was ever sucessful enough to warrant that kinda money thrown at it for SE.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
The Toriyama style in 3D is more or less solved at this point. Be it Dragon Quest or Dragon Ball, there are plenty of people with experience in getting this to look right. Some more than others, of course, but still, the talent exists.

The game itself can play as it does in both 2D and 3D, so I see no problems there. They could mess with the ATB system, of course, but why mess with perfection? Chrono Trigger has one of the best ATBs ever, only FFX-2 really comes close, and that still not as fun as Chrono Trigger's. Throw some dynamic camera angles at the Techs, especially the Dual and Triple Techs, and we're good.

Add some in-engine cutscenes and some voice acting for the game and it's pretty much there.

The biggest issue I see is that Chrono Trigger's development team was the Dream Team. I'd imagine all of them have to sign off on it getting remade before Square-Enix would do it.

OP
OP
mistersensation
Nov 11, 2017
Sakaguchi does not want anything to do with AAA development nowadays, Masato Kato straight-up left game development entirely, and Horii has basically no reason to step away from Dragon Quest until he retires.
Ah, okay. I know a big reason for the game's reputation is the pedigree behind it, so if they couldn't get those guys back I can see why people would have little faith they'd get it right.

Also, to everyone saying FFVII isn't a great comparison I'm only using that because it's a high profile Sqaure remake, though I suppose that Trials of Mana is probably a better example.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
lol
XI, Trails of Mana and 7 Remake disagree.

I imagine people saying the same about FF7R not too long ago....and now people treat it like the 2nd coming.
If they want SE can deliver with their remakes - its just a budget/personal question.
First of all, it wouldn't work at all in the style of FF7R. Second of all, I absolutely love FF7 and am negatively interested by what I've seen of FF7R.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt they would invest so much in a CT remake. They would put that kind of money on a FF VIII or VI remake first

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Please no. Chrono Trigger works best because of its breakneck pacing. Padding it out to 50 hour game would leave only the music and art.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
No, but not for the reasons posted in the Poll. Despite the legacy and status of Chrono Trigger, the sales potential for a big budget title likely isn't there to justify it.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sure. Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time, and even if a remake turned out shitty, I'd still have the original. So, why not?

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

?? DQXI's template would work just fine for Chrono Trigger?

is this one of your weird, barely substantiated criticisms about FFVIIR where you conflate the idea of a general plot with the idea of story and refuse to consider the amount of work that is going into fleshing midgar into being an actual city?