• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Margot Martindale is a well known character actress.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
The Pokemon anime taught me that water conducts electricity while I was still in grade school.

Obviously I would have figured that out some other way eventually, but Pokemon was there first.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Bob's Burgers taught me about Ambergris. Sperm Whales can't digest giant squids so their digestive system passes it like fecal matter. It washes up on shore and it's used for a many things. It's even eaten as a delicacy in some countries, but it is illegal in the states.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
BANANAS HAVE POTASSIUM! LOTS OF IT!!

That Honey We Shrunk Ourselves is burned in my memory near 2+2=4 and green means go.

EDIT: Holy shit just read the OP.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I assumed Coraline was an original story from Laika Studio... turns out the story was from a Neil Gaiman book.

9781408841754.jpg

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can't think of any right now but the simpsons. My dad used to explain a lot of the jokes to me when I was a kid and all of those explanations stuck to me.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
I learned that water expands when it freezes into ice from an episode of MacGuyver.

I'm sure there was probably a lot of shit I could have learned from MacGuyver, but nothing stuck like the ice thing.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Yu-Gi-Oh taught me that if you blow up the moon it'll really fuck up some fish.

Gonna come in handy someday.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
The transformer cartoon taught me I had control over my dreams if I wanted. Actually really helped me with bad dreams when I was an kid.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Animaniacs taught me that Lake Titicaca is between Bolivia and Peru.

I straight up only know about the Tulsa Massacre because of Watchmen because the US education system is broken.
Same.

Liquid Breathing from the movie The Abyss.
I was mind blown when I was still a kid and found out it's real (even if not as simple as shown in the movie)

Remember mentioning it in school and the teacher made fun of me in front of the whole class for like 5 Minutes, because he thought it's absolutely impossible :( I've even explained how they've tested it on rats etc.
Same.

Oct 27, 2017
I've learnt a few things about Greek mythology from God of War, both directly from the game and because my interest has been piqued and I've gone off to read bits and pieces on Wikipedia.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll probably learned from Hamilton that Aaron Burr shot Alexander Hamilton in a duel.

Not me.

I learned it from a milk commercial in the 90s.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I learned how to spell "friend" as a kid because of the Mr Rogers song.

Otherwise I would have spelled it "frend" or "freind"

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I learned about the Aurora Borealis from the Simpsons, although I probably would have heard about it later, that scene stuck with me.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Mistletoe can be deadly if you eat it...

Actually, it's not really deadly in most cases, but it is poisonous, which I didn't know previously.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The term "Yellowstone supervolcano"

Does learning about Relativity and Quantum Mechanics from an edutainment book count?

Total Annihilation taught me about the Mohorovicic Discontinuity (the "Moho"). The people who didn't read the manual seemed to think that Moho meant "big"...

Dwarf Fortress taught me that magnetite is found in the sedimentary rock layer.

Last edited:

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Pokemon taught me that water conducts electricity.

Let's not forget all the stuff from edutainment shows like Carmen Sandiego and Bill Nye.

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question: Are you from the US? Because this is widely known around the world.

For a very old but still great documentary about WWII, watch The World at War on Prime
I'm from the US. The Soviet Union's involvement got downplayed a lot in my schooling, I was pretty much taught the US saved the day.

I'll check that documentary out, thanks!

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Tomb Raider: Legend taught me that Russian was the dominant spoken language in Kazakhstan

Also, it's cheating because the book is essentially dramatized non-fiction with the names replaced, but Shogun enlightened me a TON about the Sengoku and Edo periods of Japanese history. After reading and retaining a mammoth of a book like that, you start seeing tons of non-fiction and historical influences/parallels in ridiculous amounts of stories and video games, even ones in purely fictitious/fantasy settings.

Also cheating because it's historical fiction and literally stapled together with edutainment level meta-references facts and anecdotes about history and wildlife, but Golden Kamuy taught me a shitton about the history of Hokkaido, Japanese wildlife, and the Ainu culture that I will never forget.