• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
At my age money isn't the biggest obstacle to buying or playing something- it's free time.
Even with the coronavirus locking down 90% of the county, I don't have anywhere near enough time to play all the games I have on a single console, let alone 2 or 3. I get though about 2 games a year, max.

I own a PS4 and a switch, but the odds of me ever actually using the switch are basically zero.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Do I *need* both? No. However, am I capable of having enough willpower to not get both at launch? Also no.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I had all 4 360/ps3/wii/ Wii U

this gen I started PS4 and told myself I was getting an Xbox but life left less time for games so I stuck with PS4 and a switch.

this gen I'll go with top purchase based on launch and games that are coming out close to launch window. Not sure I'll buy the second one

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I'm sticking with the next Nintendo and Playstation consoles as always. But Nintendo console will be an instant buy, I'm not sure when I'll get the PS5.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I'll only get one console (still waiting for the PS5 to reveal much more to decide) at launch, but eventually I'll collect them all like pokemons.

I love your Audrey avatar !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only PS5 for me and I don't have a Nintendo Switch, but a pretty decent PC so I will have access to Xbox games aswell. Maybe a Switch Pro down the road, but that depends on what BOTW2 looks like and what other games are coming out and if there actually is a Switch Pro.

Jan 21, 2019
PS5 for exclusive and next gen games and a couple years later a new PC. While I'm blown away by the Xbox Series X. I am glad that their games run on PC.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Always have stuck with one console (playstation 1-4). That wont change this coming-gen.

However this may be the first time i own an Xbox aswell, later down the line when its cheaper and if Xbox GamePass still holds up by then

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
2 console is a forum thing. Overwhelming majority just buy one and stick with it. They will also not buy the same game when it's later release on PC..lmao.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I just buy these boxes to play the games I want on them.

I have not been fond of MS' exclusives otherwise I would have an Xbox too. But I have owned most Sony consoles (only one I didn't is the Vita), most Sega consoles. had a TurboGrafx, most Nintendo consoles (exceptions being virtual boy and Wii U), and many personal computers. I was actually pretty close to buying an Xbox for Cuphead but then that was released on other platforms so I didn't have to.

I have done this long enough to realize that the box is just the price of admission to play the games I want. I don't get too caught up in the tech stuff or the marketing or console wars anymore.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hell no, I don't want to miss out on any exclusives. I'm buying PS5 and XSX at launch. Give me that Spider-Man 2 and Forza 8 baybee

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only owned a PS4 and Switch this gen, but the Series X looks appealing and I could never forgo the Sony 1st party lineup. So I think I'll probably get both the X and PS5 next generation (also in a more stable financial situation now than I was for most of the previous gen).

Sep 25, 2018
I've going back and forth with this for the past few weeks due to the lastest PR on the upcoming systems.... But honestly it's something I thought about all last generation as well.

Between age, time, ever growing backlog, wanting more minimalism/focus, and money...yeah, I'm really feeling I'm just sticking with one system this gen. I just don't feel like I can manage or willingly/happily divide my time anymore with multiple systems.

What say you?

I only do two consoles, when Sony was strongest for 7th generation I choose PS3 and Wii, and 8th generation I choose PS4 and Wii U.........Switch Is early 9th gen and since PS5 not the strongest I will be XBOX Series X and Nintendo switch

I always pick one strongest and whatever Nintendo drop, I mostly play 3rd party so out of everyone on resetera I would easily be able to transfer to microsoft ecosystem.

i am way behind on Xbox tho never been apart of them, never did Xbox live and etc, I do like what I hear about Game Pass. honestly Gamepass and the system being the strongest is good reasons enough to switch but that's just me

hopefully nintendo one day make a system that is just as strong so I can do just one system but with them doing the weakest I still need a stronger system to pair with it and then I am good to go

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm only buying Sony's system. And if they continue to port their games to PC like Horizon and Death Stranding, then I'm just sticking with Nintendo.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah just have a PS4, Switch would be nice too but like there's already too many PS4 games i want to spend my money on lol. And then I play indie stuff on my pc too.
I'm with you. The switch would primarily be for playing with my son who is only two now so he's probably a good few years away anyway. I'll also use it to play those nintedo games I missed out on.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
I'm fortunate enough to have a good gaming pc, so that basically means I have an Xbox already. Between that and my switch I just need to upgrade my PS4 to a PS5 when it drops and I'll be covered with the big three. Not having to choose rules!

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 + PC + Switch for me.
98fdc7205a7209d34d95cdd5bce345c5.gif

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
To be honest...I don't give a fuck about the console...I just care about the games. All the hardware shit is meh to me. I'm ready for the streaming future tho! :)
Content > *

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been a "Own Every Single Console" person since the Dreamcast relesed onward. Have literally owned every single one. Planning not to purchase a Xbox Series X this time around though, simply because I can play all of their exclusives on my PC.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I just can't justify owning more than one when the number of exclusives is so small these days. I want access to all of my library on one system, in one ecosystem, and consolidating it all onto the platform I prefer and have been using for the past 3 generations just makes sense for me personally.

I'd have to buy an entire console, just to play a small percentage of what exclusives on it even appeal to me, and then spend money to get controllers with the right stick layout, and even then I may not even be turning the thing on that often to play it, so it's just taking up space.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I ended up buying a One X near launch and really regret it (I already owned a PS4 Pro).

I thought it would become my 3rd party machine (because better specs and 4K yadda yadda) but it ultimately never really did and frankly there isn't much to play on it otherwise so this next gen I'm only planning on going PS5 unless Microsoft ends up having a ton of really great exclusives. If things do get good with Microsoft, I can pick up a Series X late in the generation for cheap, stream them or just play whatever they release on my One X.

Sony has never had a bad generation (PS3 was close but they ultimately pulled it together) so I trust them to deliver solid value through the end of the generation.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
I would prefer to own only a PC but I'll go with PC+Switch+PS5 then maybe down the road I'll get a XSX for the bedroom.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I think I stopped buying all three consoles after the GameCube gen. Now it's mostly a Nintendo console and a Sony console. Microsoft stopped putting out exclusives I cared about after the 360 so itpretty much been this way since.

I'd say get whatever you friends are going to be playing on and stick with that.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I stopped buying all consoles last gen and o don't miss it a bit. PS4 was just fine and I'll be skipping xbox going forward without a tiny hint of regret.

Eventually you grow out if it.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I'll get a used PS5 on the cheap for From Exclusive + Spider-Man 2 + 3rd Exclusive if Sony doesn't embrace PC.

I'd be interested in a handheld.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Nah I mean one console is definitely more then enough but by that same coin just one of the current platforms in more then enough. My main hobby is video games and I have a passion for the industry and tech in general, even if I told myself I'd only get one I'd be lying to myself.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Would I prefer all my games be on one platform? Sure. But that's not happening, so I might as well bite the $500x2 bullet right now to ensure I can play all the best games

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I'd love to if everything were on one box but that isn't so, so imma buy both :P

Also I barely touched my PS4 this gen in between exclusives, I get most third parties on PC or X. Also there's Game Pass. I need options.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I'll only be getting a Series X. I owned a 360+Wii and XB1+Wii U, but both times, I ended up playing the Xbox consoles a LOT more. If I get a Switch and/or a PS4 and/or a PS5, I'm guaranteed to play each of those consoles for a grand total of 10 hours each (if that) by the time the PS6/next Xbox/Switch 2 come out.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Definitely. It'll be the first time since the ps2 era where I've not owned them all. but this gen made it clear to me that it's utterly futile trying to play everything on every system. I have a wish list that's like 75 games long....on the PS4 alone. what's the point in even owning other systems if one is outputting that much content?

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
I've been a one home console person for a while now. Due to the time-consuming nature of video games, having more than that makes video games feel like work. It's good to keep it simple.