• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I've going back and forth with this for the past few weeks due to the lastest PR on the upcoming systems.... But honestly it's something I thought about all last generation as well.

Between age, time, ever growing backlog, wanting more minimalism/focus, and money...yeah, I'm really feeling I'm just sticking with one system this gen. I just don't feel like I can manage or willingly/happily divide my time anymore with multiple systems.

What say you?

Oct 25, 2017
I want 0. Hopefully no exclusives will catch my eye next gen and I can just upgrade my PC whenever an affordable, mid tier rig can last me the whole gen.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've going back and forth with this for the past few weeks due to the lastest PR on the upcoming systems.... But honestly it's something I thought about all last generation as well.

Between age, time, ever growing backlog, wanting more minimalism/focus, and money...yeah, I'm really feeling I'm just sticking with one system this gen. I just don't feel like I can manage or willingly/happily divide my time anymore with multiple systems.

What say you?
I might just upgrade to the PS5, since I've got a gaming PC and an Xbox One X already. The Xbox Series X sounds great, but it kind feels like it would be triple dipping. But I don't know if that really fits the context of your question, op.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
I've never gotten both between Sony and MS, there's just too much crossover especially when I have a PC too

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I'd say that I do, but I can't because Switch and PS/Xbox have different exclusives and I want both. I generally go with Switch + one of the powerful ones(usually playstation) + PC for multiplats.

That said, if we somehow get all PS games on PC like we are getting for xbox I could see myself going switch+PC. But otherwise…nah. If I want a game and money isn't a problem, I'll get it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I already have a device that will receive all Series X games so yeah, the only console I'll get next gen is the PS5.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
In a perfect world all third party would release all their content on as many devices as possible and first party would be used to push the hardware they are trying to sell.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
In my financial situation, I'm fine with just one. Specifically the PS5.

I owned all three seven generations consoles back then and out of all of them, the Wii was the red-headed stepchild I ignored entirely.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Ever since the original Xbox, PS2 and GameCube generation, I buy every available platform. Nothing is exclusive!

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Me so tired of all the game differences and graphic wars and stupid bullshit. Make one industry shared console. Microsoft make the UI and software let Sony developers the hardware and Nintendo runs game development. Split 33/33/33

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I'll get a Playstation console for exclusives and fighting games like always.

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
I like Playstation and Nintendo exclusives, so it's two console plus PC for me unless something weird happens.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'll buy all the systems as always because I'm a nutter. Get FOMO if I don't have them all. But if I had to be stuck with only one system next gen it wouldn't be a console, it'd be PC. No contest.
You would have to be a complete nutjob who's bad with money to need more than one video game console.

And lemme tell ya, I am a complete nutjob who's bad with money.
Like minds.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
If I buy more than 1 console, I feel immense guilt and shame, so I stick with just 1.

Bought both 360 and WiiU to compliment PS3 and sold them because it just made me feel guilty

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I only ever have Nintendo consoles (previously both the handheld and home console - thankfully the Switch narrowed that down to just one) and it's more than enough for me. Whenever Switch 2 is announced I'll grab it, but until then I'm perfectly content.

Deleted member 60989

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2019
PC + Switch. I have a PS4 too (just for japanese exclusives such as Bloodborne, Vanillaware, SHMUPs etc), but if Sony wants me to upgrade, I have to see some interesting japanese (non-temporary) exclusives.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd really love to have had one console that replaces all of its previous consoles w/ backwards compatibility, but that's a dream that's never happening. :(

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I'm with you. Only a launch PS4 this gen and it gives me more than enough. I upgraded my computer a few years ago but my PS4 is still my primary. I'm debating getting a switch but I think I will be putting that money towards a ps5 instead. I will probably get a switch later on when it is cheaper. I already have more than enough games to keep me occupied with work, family, and other responsibilities on top so no need for anything else.

That said, I'm glad Microsoft is putting their stuff on PC. I vastly prefer consoles but the option is there if I need. I played Gears 5 on my PC, for instance.

I think this combination casts the widest net for me. I get all sony exclusives as well as PC only games along with xbox games on pc. I'm not missing out on any exclusives except Nintendo's but I will likely get a switch a bit later anyway.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nope, PlayStation and Nintendo I buy by default. Like to support them due to their FP output.

Oct 28, 2017
I plan on getting whichever ones are fully backwards compatible. If I can replace my existing console with it, I don't see any reason I shouldn't upgrade.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I barely have enough time with my PC games. But usually I have no interest in what the Xbox has on offer so it makes my decision easier.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm with you. Went from gaming PC, Switch, PS4 and 1X to just wanting the XSX.

I have kids now, a busy career, a mortgage. There's much better use of money than multiple consoles. Seems like the Series X will have everything I'm looking for in one package.

I'll probably circle back to Nintendo once the kids are a few years older, though.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
My intention is to get a PS5, whatever is next from Nintendo, and use a streaming service to go on avoiding building a new PC (it's primarily mouse driven strategy games that I'm really missing in the PC space). MS has just never had an exclusive lineup that appealed to me; we'll see if that changes with all the studios they've bought.

FlanjeUK

Apr 20, 2019
Just a Series X for me, not enough time for multi platforms and all my friends going back to the original Xbox are on Live

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
ten years ago i figured consoles would end up like cell phones they just give you one on a contingent plan. brand really matters fuck all

would've preferred that future but not like theres 20 different consoles to choose from, so i can't complain too much

Amanobuff

Oct 28, 2017
Singapore
Want both. Wife will only allow 1 though. So PS5 it is.

Can complain though. I already own a Switch and with family and work I barely have time to play 1 hour a day.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
For me its Nintendo and then between Sony or Xbox which everyone has the most games that I like. Which when many games go multiplatform its more or less a wash so whatever is cheapest.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'll only get one console (still waiting for the PS5 to reveal much more to decide) at launch, but eventually I'll collect them all like pokemons.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
i've always been a one console guy. It's like I cant focus on more than one. This goes back to SNES/Genesis generation. I would sell one and pick up the pother multiple times, never owning both (finally settled on the SNES). Back then I lacked the money to own both.

between Xbox and Ps4 they're very similar anyway. I just dont like the Ps Controller. No Ps exclusive has tempted me enough to get one (my brother usually owns the PS of any given generation,, and I can borrow it whenever since he almost exclusively PC games, but I really dont have any desire too).

Killzone on PS3 did tempt me, but I played it on my brothers as described. Horizon Zero Dawn did also, so I did borrow the PS4, but I wasn't that interested to get into it.

I'm more into Halo and Gear for that matter.

I've kicked around getting a Switch but same deal. Just cant pull the trigger. The Switch light lowered the cost of entry, but I worry about joystick drift on permanently attached joysticks.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first generation I skipped a system and I will likely do the same for this upcoming gen. So really two out of three (ain't bad).