• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
Best scene in Star Wars?! Oh HELL no! Best scene in Phantom Menace?.....Mmmm....debatable. I think Darth Maul vs. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon is still at the top with the podrace being second. Two good scenes in shitty movie vs. no good scenes in Attack of the Clones.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It's not bad at all and goes a long way to me having a positive if vague opinion about the sequels.

A moment of levity in a sub-series that is primarily about the banality of evil.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The most overrated fight on Era

And this reminds me of the Raimi Spider-Man threads that would be fine if they didn't say the Raimi movies were unbeatable
tenor.gif

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
The thing that always bothered me about the Obi / Qui / Maul fight is when Maul almost falls over backwards off the walkway. It's very stupid looking.

@:40 seconds in:

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tension? You believed for one second that they were going to kill an 8-year-old boy in a horrific crash? Or that he was going to lose? While his mother was watching?

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Tension? You believed for one second that they were going to kill an 8-year-old boy in a horrific crash? Or that he was going to lose? While his mother was watching?

People genuinely thought Toy Story 3 was going to end with all the toys being incinerated, so Anakin losing a race in front of his mom isn't that wild.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Terrible as a racing scene: I forget which video it is but they made a point that practically every shot is tracked in the same direction. For screaming 600mph+ machines, they lack fury and dynamism. Any Gran Turismo or F-Zero GX can frame better races in their replays.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I watched the Phantom Menace a bunch as a kid, and the two scenes I always went back to were the podracing scene and the Darth Maul fight. I remember abusing my VCR's slow-mo function to admire the special effects and the explosions. It looked really damn cool back then. Not really sure how well it holds up now, though.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
It's probably in my top 10 Star Wars scenes, but I wouldn't call it my favorite. Still very good, though. I love the sound of the racer going by....
CHU CHU CHU CHU CHU CHU CHU CHU

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The first movie I ever walked out of, (and one of only two movies I've ever walked out of) was Star Wards Episode 1 during the pod-racing scene. Maybe I just wasn't in the right age bracket to appreciate it (it's clearly aimed at children 5 and under), but the movie just kept going from bad to worse, to fucking 20+ minutes of pod racing, to me deciding I'd be having a way better Friday night sitting in the car listening to the Beach Boys...and I'll stand by the decision any day of the week.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Real talk? That movie is my greatest cinematic letdown and perhaps one of my greatest disappointments in my life period. The prequels were trash because of tedious exposition in front of green screen, unconvincing character motivations, action that went too long and added little to the plot.

Regarding podracing specifically - I will give you sound design. At full volume it's a fucking great ride.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Ugh, no. It's not even the best scene in it's own movie. Duel of the Fates dumps on it from a great height. The podrace sequence could be completely excised from the film and we'd lose nothing, other than 10-15 minutes off the running time of a mediocre film.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad knowing that Shmi basically got screwed over by a Jedi that could have easily freed her and was forced to live a terrible life as a slave, then tortured to death. 😒
Still doesn't sit right with me that Anakin becomes a guardian of peace and justice and yet lets him mother live in slavery for ten years, and doesn't have any contact with her

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
Im always tinkering with my AV receiver's speaker settings. I use the pod racing scene to test out those settings. Always sounds great :).

Oct 31, 2017
Was about to make this exact post, lol.

It's all about the Maul

(Pardon the shoddy cutting between sequences, only version I could find with the entrance.)

Also, best scene in Star Wars is Vader and Luke in RotJ and it's not even close (And that's hard for an ESB fanboy to say!).

^ ^ Facts.

Darth Maul vs Obi Wan / Qui Gon fight was the best scene in that movie and I also agree Luke vs Vader fight in ROTJ is the best scene in all of Star Wars history.