• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Bloodborne the GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 696 19.9%
  • No

Votes: 2,805 80.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Bloodborne as GOAT is something I would never actually propose but I'm more than happy to nod gently and agree if it's what common consensus decided. Like, "Citizen Kane" is very good and I like it a lot, so I'm not going to complain if it's the GOAT, but it's not the one I'd pick on my own.

Not even the best FromSoftware game. To be fair, the best FromSoftware game might be the best game ever made.

Ah, I see you also worship at the alter of "Lost Kingdoms 2."

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
It's excellent, but not my GOAT nor my favorite PS4 game.

But this weird jerking the game gets here is ridiculous. Personal favorite is one thing, we all have our tastes and that's fine, but there's no way in hell it is the best game ever made. I'll say it is the best PS4 exclusive by a light year.

These threads are always about personal tastes. There's no widely accepted consensus on the best game ever made.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Its good, and was my first soulsborne, but no. I like a challenge, so I appreciate that aspect, but I also appreciate a story presented more up front rather than digging through files and notes. I also prefer faster paced combat, so basically I like Sekiro more. But neither would be my GOAT.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
No, but a big part of that is just because there is no 'best game ever. Even a GOAT top 100 is still wildly reductive.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
No. Accessibility is a relevant metric, and it's one that Bloodborne fails at spectacularly

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
It might be From's best game, for sure. The whole interconnected city is just amazing.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Nope.

How many hours have you spent in all your playthroughs just farming fucking blood infusions instead of challenging that boss again? It's a bad design decision in an otherwise fantastic game.

People will point out things like weapon durability in BotW, another GOAT contender, but things like that are a wash as you literally drown in new weapons you can pick up anywhere and never held you back in the same way where you have to grind to try again.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, too many technical issues, and the camera is kind of jank. Chalice dungeons. Two-step loading process just to level up. I also preferred the weapon and location variety in Dark Souls. I love gothic and cosmic horror, so BB should have been a slam dunk, but oh well. I still like it, but I'm never booting it up to get my Souls fix.

Edit: Also, the post above mine was an annoyance I forgot to mention, which I share with Demon's Souls too.

Last edited:

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Do you run down checklists of features when you decide which games are your favorite? Lol

1) "Favorite game" and "best game ever made" are different categories

2) you don't need to be a master game analyst to figure out that Bloodborne is not very accessible to a large quantity of the gamer population. It's overly difficult and punishing, and its storyline requires significant effort to even figure out what's happening

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's the only Soulsborne game i've ever enjoyed, but it's not even close.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Its ironic you put real talk in the topic, when in reality you cant have any "real talk" (real opinion?) on Bloodborne's popularity without getting banned, at least on Era.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I couldn't get high on that bloodborne drug that other people got high on. just felt like another Dark Souls clone i refuse to continue to play. Not for me.

Oct 27, 2017
How? The cosmic, Lovecraftian insanity ramps right up as you reach the end. How could it be worse?

Conceptually, it's great. But fighting reurrecting Yharnamites, the mess of The One Reborn, and entering the Dream of Mensis is kind of deflating for me. Feels like a random assortment of assets that Fromsoft stitched together, and not a peek behind the veil of reality. Mergo is lame, and The First Hunter is a bit too "anime" for my liking.

Again, incredible introduction but falters too much with its execution of some very cool ideas. Stronger as a Van Helsing simulator.

Saray

Nov 26, 2018
Or bloodborne or Dark Souls 1. I doubt any other game will make as high as 20% of people saying yes in a similar poll.

Myamdane

Dec 14, 2020
Conceptually, it's great. But fighting reurrecting Yharnamites, the mess of The One Reborn, and entering the Dream of Mensis is kind of deflating for me. Feels like a random assortment of assets that Fromsoft stitched together, and not a peek behind the veil of reality. Mergo is lame, and The First Hunter is a bit too "anime" for my liking.

Again, incredible introduction but falters too much with its execution of some very cool ideas. Stronger as a Van Helsing simulator.
Yeah I can see where you're coming from. Werewolves and vampires and all that jazz was really awesome in the beginning, but I certainly have a soft spot for all things Lovecraft. Each to their own

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So you're criticizing a challenging game for being... challenging?

Yes. I'm also criticizing a cryptic game for being... cryptic. Some people who are sensitive to that sort of thing are also criticizing a game with poor performance for having... poor performance. I didn't notice that part but it's a valid enough criterion that it should also be... considered.

I'm not seeing how this is related to accessibility.

Games that are too challenging are games... that people don't want to play. If people don't want to play a game... it's not accessible. If it's not accessible... it's flawed. If it's not accessible to the extent that this game is... it's not in the running for greatest game of all time.

Shiny Man

Nov 18, 2020
Loulé
These threads are always about personal tastes. There's no widely accepted consensus on the best game ever made.
It's one thing to say "this game is my favorite", it's another to say 'this game is the best". The distinction here is important.

Of course both are also subjective but to extremely different degrees, which allows for better discussion.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's boring, but as always, if there is to be one, Tetris is the best game ever.
Even this guy likes Tetris.

Last edited:

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I love Bloodborne but it's still a flawed game. Terrible framepacing, long loading times and the chalice dungeon stuff is a chore to go through because its tileset is so limited and its generation rarely makes anything fun. It doesn't have a lot of quality of life features like being able to respec. Byrgenworth and Lecture Building are totally half assed levels.

It's one of my favorite games but I really would love a PC version just so that modders can dig into it and elevate it further. Some of the PS4 mods are already really cool but can only do so much and are not accessible to most because you need a hacked PS4.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt more than 5% of the worlds population have heard of Bloodborne, yeah.

Yeah, .01% of the world population puts the bar at 750k people voting it in, which is probably reasonable to doubt. On this site alone there may be what 1k votes out of how many members? And it's skewed higher here than a typical average I'd bet. I'm not sure how much the game sold, but figure somewhere under 5% of it's sales are the votes it would get worldwide I'd bet.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Don't get it. This is a heavily Playstation / hardcore / From Software centric forum. I'm actually surprised the number isn't higher.

BB is definitely in my top 10 GOAT.
Because it's also a very Nintendo centric forum, and most people probably consider BOTW the goat.
Yes. I'm also criticizing a cryptic game for being... cryptic. Some people who are sensitive to that sort of thing are also criticizing a game with poor performance for having... poor performance. I didn't notice that part but it's a valid enough criterion that it should also be... considered.

Games that are too challenging are games... that people don't want to play. If people don't want to play a game... it's not accessible. If it's not accessible... it's flawed. If it's not accessible to the extent that this game is... it's not in the running for greatest game of all time.
Those are some interesting leaps and false equivalencies. I think you underestimate how popular games like Bloodborne (and Souls, Sekiro, Nioh, etc.) are. They sell a lot, they get a lot of awards and have big playerbases, and they are designed to be challenging. That is not a flaw, that is what the subgenre is based on. I wouldn't mind if they added an "easy" mode to Souls for people who don't want to put in the time to get good and beat them, but I don't consider them inaccessible, and not every game has to appeal to every single player out there. I don't call RTS or 4X games inaccessible, because I have to think about my moves. Or having to learn my weapons and enemies in Monster Hunter. It's fine if a game is designed this way, and the challenge in Bloodborne is not "bullshit" for it to be a flaw.
You absolutely can't say it's equal to games having poor performance, no game is designed from the ground up to with poor performance.

Dec 9, 2019
GTA V is the best game ever made, if you like it or not.
Bloodbourne probably isn't even around top 100 best games ever made. So that would be a "no" to OP's question.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Because it's also a very Nintendo centric forum, and most people probably consider BOTW the goat.

Those are some interesting leaps and false equivalencies. I think you underestimate how popular games like Bloodborne (and Souls, Sekiro, Nioh, etc.) are. They sell a lot, they get a lot of awards and have big playerbases, and they are designed to be challenging. That is not a flaw, that is what the subgenre is based on. I wouldn't mind if they added an "easy" mode to Souls for people who don't want to put in the time to get good and beat them, but I don't consider them inaccessible, and not every game has to appeal to every single player out there. I don't call RTS or 4X games inaccessible, because I have to think about my moves. Or having to learn my weapons and enemies in Monster Hunter. It's fine if a game is designed this way, and the challenge in Bloodborne is not "bullshit" for it to be a flaw.
You absolutely can't say it's equal to games having poor performance, no game is designed from the ground up to with poor performance.

A game's qualities don't have to be unintentional to count as flaws. Often, conscious design decisions are design mistakes and detract from the game. In Bloodborne's case, the difficulty and obscurity of the storyline detract from it and remove it from contention of greatest game ever made

Status
Not open for further replies.