• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
For the longest time I've been paying exorbitant amounts for sushi, in particular sashimi.

Now this supplier claims to sell "sushi grade" tuna. But I've tried in the past and got burnt by what I felt was smelly, normie-ass fish, as opposed to the godly ambrosia that is the supple, smooth, tasty sushi restaurant tuna/salmon that I have to pay 90% of my income for.

Can someone please help me learn the ways of home sashimi?

Pleaaaaaae

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Go to a fish market and buy it fresh, just make sure that it was stored in a way that is safe for raw consumption.

Can't watch the video atm but especially for salmon you want to go farmed over wild. Wild Salmon has a high risk of parasites, especially if not frozen correctly upon capture.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
For the longest time I've been paying exorbitant amounts for sushi, in particular sashimi.

Now this supplier claims to sell "sushi grade" tuna. But I've tried in the past and got burnt by what I felt was smelly, normie-ass fish, as opposed to the godly ambrosia that is the supple, smooth, tasty sushi restaurant tuna/salmon that I have to pay 90% of my income for.

Can someone please help me learn the ways of home sashimi?

Pleaaaaaae
Sushi restaurants aren't adding the kind of premium on sushi that you think they do. good fish is expensive and its getting even more expensive the more popular sushi becomes.

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
Go to a fish market and buy it fresh, just make sure that it was stored in a way that is safe for raw consumption.

Can't watch the video atm but especially for salmon you want to go farmed over wild. Wild Salmon has a high risk of parasites, especially if not frozen correctly upon capture.

Interesting, I kind of wondered about that. Do they give the farmed salmon medicine, since they are kept in somewhat confined areas?

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, I kind of wondered about that. Do they give the farmed salmon medicine, since they are kept in somewhat confined areas?
I don't think medicine, but they are given specific feed that isn't contaminated whereas wild salmon eats all manner of things that can have parasites. Then there's some difference in how they're frozen, I think wild salmon need to be Flash Frozen to kill the parasites whereas farmed salmon has a bit more leeway with how it's stored.

OP I don't know if Tuna is available, but from my research you can get decently good, and very safe fish from Costco that can be used for raw consumption. I've specifically read about the Salmon, but there may be others as well if you want the cheapest but still goodest option.

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are not supposed to use freshly caught wild fish in most case, don't do it lol

They need to be frozen at a temperature that home refridgerators can't achieve to kill any parasites.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
You should find a good japanese shop that sells sushi grade fish. It is high quality, and will have been blasted in a freezer to kill parasites. Do you have access to such stores? These things tend to be easier to find in cities. I'm near London, and there's some great options. If I still lived out in the sticks with my parents, nah, tinned tuna or nothing.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Once in Africa I saw some tourists buy a big fish (either a marlin or a sailfish) from a fisherman and just start carving it up and eating it right on the beach. I wondered if they would get worms or other parasites from it. It seemed like a bad idea. The fishermen were highly amused, though.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I wonder if I could taste the difference. Or rather if one tastes better than the other. Might be a placebo OP.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Where do you live? If you live in a big city, you can find sushi grade fish at a Japanese grocery stores or Korean store like H mart. It will still cost a lot of money but far cheaper than eating at the restaurant. You also need a really good sushi knife. Using a bad knife to cut sushi fish makes the fish taste awful.